Turn on thread page Beta

Information For those planning on doing a Motorbike test watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Phoenix)
    secondly if you were to carry passengers on a 50cc moped, you would bearly be able to go above 30-35. whereas on a 125 you could probebly reach 55, and acceleration would be improved. and you can keep up with traffic
    Thanks! Shows how much I know, eh?

Is 55 enough to go on the motorway? I think I'd still want to keep off it! Luckily I found a route between my home and uni that doesn't require a motorway, only A roads.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Talya)
    Thanks! Shows how much I know, eh?
    Thats okay we all have to start somewhere
    (Original post by Talya)
    Is 55 enough to go on the motorway? I think I'd still want to keep off it! Luckily I found a route between my home and uni that doesn't require a motorway, only A roads.
    55 is pleantly but you must keep in the left hand lane because theres no way you'll be able to overtake anyone on a 125 on a motorway

a roads are good, the speed limit is about 60 on them anyway, and there alot safter then the motorways

ReputationRep:
    How much is road tax on a 125cc moped?

EDIT: Just looked it up.. is it really £15 a year!?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Talya)
    How much is road tax on a 125cc moped?

EDIT: Just looked it up.. is it really £15 a year!?
    yeah dirt cheap, my 600cc motor bike is only £45 for the year

thanks for the rep BTW

ReputationRep:
    On the govt website it says if you pass your motorbike test they take your license off you to issue you with your full one and that takes 3 weeks.. but they give you a certificate to prove to passed but during those 3 weeks can you ride if you say have the cert and some ID? Or not?

ReputationRep:
    it doesn't really matter to be honest, you do get pulled they'll have your name on the DVLA database. and all you have to say is that your licence has been sent away.

i suppose you could carry your certificate around with you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Phoenix)
    it doesn't really matter to be honest, you do get pulled they'll have your name on the DVLA database. and all you have to say is that your licence has been sent away.

i suppose you could carry your certificate around with you.
    Lovely, thanks!

ReputationRep:
    If you are under 21 you can't do direct access so will be limited to the size of engine, if you did get anything bigger you would have to have restricted. Although i doubt you would go from a 125 moped to a 1000cc motorbike lol!

My boyfriend has his full motorbike licence up to any size bike he wants, is this now also a provisional car licence or will he have to apply for a new provisional entitlement to start to learn to drive? Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kidders)
    My boyfriend has his full motorbike licence up to any size bike he wants, is this now also a provisional car licence or will he have to apply for a new provisional entitlement to start to learn to drive? Thanks!
    No, he will not need to. I passed my motorbike test before passing my car test.

Although the bike licence card does not show it, the licence also entitles you to the same catagories as the provisional.

(it's probably on the green paper counterpart)

ReputationRep:
    Thankyou! We both were wondering this as like you mention it is not featured on the photocard!

Out of interest did you find it easier to learn to drive after already passing your motorbike test? Or harder or no different! lol

ReputationRep:
    Out of interest did you find it easier to learn to drive after already passing your motorbike test? Or harder or no different! lol
    It was alot easier to pass my car test after i passed my bike test, it didn't take me as long to learn either because i already had roadsence.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Juno)
    How much does a motorbike theory test cost, and does it have questions and hazard perception same as the other one?

See look PsychoPhoenix, I'm posting my stupid questions here rather than bugging you.
    you weren't bugging me :p:

round about £20-25 i think.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah it has hazzard perception section in it much like a car theory, the dvla website has loads of info on there about them

ReputationRep:
    Thankyou! We both were wondering this as like you mention it is not featured on the photocard!

I started to learn to drive first, so i had the road sense when i did my bike test. Doing the bike test did make me alot more aware of other vehicles and made me use the mirrors alot more.

ReputationRep:
    I've been riding for over a year, and I've got roadsense, but somehow it doesn't help while I'm learning the car. It makes me scared because I'm too close to the parked cars etc.

When you've taken your test you can ride on a power restricted bike, how fast can that go and how good is it etc. Also is it preferable to get a bigger bike, I only generally go around Cardiff so don't really need to go over 30mph however there is a road which I'd like to go on which is 50mph. On a bigger bike, does it cost more for petrol etc? but I really don't want to stay on my silly moped

Also how do you go about starting to learn for the test etc, should you do a crash course? where do they do those? what should you do?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MatchDancer)
    I've been riding for over a year, and I've got roadsense, but somehow it doesn't help while I'm learning the car. It makes me scared because I'm too close to the parked cars etc.

When you've taken your test you can ride on a power restricted bike, how fast can that go and how good is it etc. Also is it preferable to get a bigger bike, I only generally go around Cardiff so don't really need to go over 30mph however there is a road which I'd like to go on which is 50mph. On a bigger bike, does it cost more for petrol etc? but I really don't want to stay on my silly moped

Also how do you go about starting to learn for the test etc, should you do a crash course? where do they do those? what should you do?
    i used to fill my 600cc with £10 a month so petrol isn't that bad.

phone around driving schools to see if they provide motorbike lessons

ReputationRep:
    One word of warning, friend of mine had been riding for a few years and was learning to drive when the instructor had a small panic at his technique.
    Filtering on a bike - good.
    Filtering in a Ford Ka - bad.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mountainmetman)
    One word of warning, friend of mine had been riding for a few years and was learning to drive when the instructor had a small panic at his technique.
    Filtering on a bike - good.
    Filtering in a Ford Ka - bad.
    Lol! My boyfriend once said to me.. 'Why are you just waiting behind that car... oh yeah because i'm sat here!' lol cars are just too wide!! hehehe!
    My b/f has his theory tomorrow and hopefully if he passes that he will be booking his test and then will be legal to attempt as much car filtering as he dares.. but not in my car! lol

ReputationRep:
    I've been riding my moped for a year, and am confident etc on the road, how much would I need to do before the test? Would an intestive course of about a day be fine? Would they just do those in similar places to where you do the CBT. Or can u just go and try doing the test? Probably best to have a bit of practice / lessons though.

Apparently the bike test is supposed to get much harder at the end of the year, so I'm gunna take it during the summer holls and get it done. My brother will have to do the hard one though. mwahahahahaha :P

ReputationRep:
    i recommend a two day intensive course if you aim on getting a licence for manuel bikes, because you wont be confident with gears to allow you to pass the test.

Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.