Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Thanks,

I think I am gonna try
    SOAS (not sure whether to do a language)
    Cardiff
    Aberystwyth
    Royal Holloway
    Reading (BBC entry as a backup)
    Sheffield

I quite like the graduate prospects i hear of SOAS, so I hope I get an offer from them.

ReputationRep:
    I wish you the best of luck, im also secretly happy that you are only applying to one my choices Let us know how it goes

ReputationRep:
    Just make sure that you're happy with both the European focus of Cardiff's degree and SOAS' African and Oriental outlook. I can't comment on what the other universities offer in terms of courses as I've not properly looked into them but I seem to recall appreciating the breadth of Aberystwyth's degree. Strategic Studies? The Third World? They've got it all! Did I mention Super Cool Crisis Simulations too? The more I talk about it, the more I end up wanting to apply myself.

If you get a good degree, are determined and actively seek out opportunities, I'm sure you'll do wherever you graduate. I suppose it always helps to have that little push from your uni though!

Best of luck!

ReputationRep:
    Just make sure that you're happy with both the European focus of Cardiff's degree and SOAS' African and Oriental outlook. I can't comment on what the other universities offer in terms of courses as I've not properly looked into them but I seem to recall appreciating the breadth of Aberystwyth's degree. Strategic Studies? The Third World? They've got it all! Did I mention Super Cool Crisis Simulations too? The more I talk about it, the more I end up wanting to apply myself.

If you get a good degree, are determined and actively seek out opportunities, I'm sure you'll do wherever you graduate. I suppose it always helps to have that little push from your uni though!

Best of luck!
    wow! Ive never heard of that before...that is super cool!

ReputationRep:
    The Department organises international crisis simulations for its students. The simulation (or ‘game’, as it is also known), lasts for three days and is held at Gregynog, the University of Wales’ conference centre near Newtown. The Department was the first in the United Kingdom to pioneer the use of crisis games as a means of enabling students to gain a deeper insight into international politics.

Each year an international crisis is chosen to form the background of the simulation. In recent years games have been based on events in the Persian Gulf, Eastern Europe, Southern Africa, the former Yugoslavia, and Southeast Asia. Before going to Gregynog, students participating in the simulation are given a detailed briefing on the region. They are also allocated to one of a number of teams (states or multi-national corporations or international organisations such as the UN), and within the teams each student is alloted the role of a particular politician, statesperson, military commander or leader.

Students are also given a ‘scenario’ on which the simulation is based. This provides them with an imaginary set of events, derived from the real crisis in question, but projected some weeks into the future. When the game begins students must keep ‘in character’, with the aim to simulate, as realistically as possible, the interactions between actors during an international crisis.

To keep the players up-to-date with the moves being made by other teams, a sophisticated closed-circuit television system is operated. This provides a frequent service of news bulletins, with students acting as newsreaders and interviewers.

During the course of the simulation, students learn a great deal about the nature of international relations, particularly the constraints which political leaders face in responding to an international crisis. It is an excellent opportunity to apply theoretical concepts involving decision-making and relationships within and between states to situations, which bear some resemblance to the ‘real world’.
    Source: http://www.aber.ac.uk/~inpwww/activi...tml#simulation

ReputationRep:
    That, is seriously amazing! I wish other places did that.

ReputationRep:
    I applied to both SOAS and Aberystwyth, but I picked Aber over SOAS. SOAS is good for Asian and African politics but I have had enough Asian politics here (univeristy of Hong Kong) and SOAS does not offer enough undergraduate IR modules.

Go to SOAS if you are interested in development studies or comparative politics.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yeung3939)
    I applied to both SOAS and Aberystwyth, but I picked Aber over SOAS. SOAS is good for Asian and African politics but I have had enough Asian politics here (univeristy of Hong Kong) and SOAS does not offer enough undergraduate IR modules.

Go to SOAS if you are interested in development studies or comparative politics.
    *finally snaps* Look, yeung, we know! You've already told us!

Wait until you get there before you run around recommending it!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wise One)
    *finally snaps* Look, yeung, we know! You've already told us!

Wait until you get there before you run around recommending it!
    Yes, I agree.

Yeung, I know you’re enthusiastic about going to Aberystwyth, but please wait until you actually get there BEFORE recommending it to others.

As someone who is Welsh, and has lived in Wales all my life, and been to Aberystwyth many times (and applied to go there), I know what the place is like. Not everyone will want to be stuck in the middle of nowhere for three years, regardless of the quality of the course. Some people will want to be in a big city, some wont. If you like the city life, then definitely don’t go to Aberystwyth.

ReputationRep:
    Sorry

ReputationRep:
    The middle-of-nowhere factor puts me off Aberystwyth, to be honest.

ReputationRep:
    Although I have not been to Aberystwyth, I know I don't like city life. HK is a big polluted city and I expect the cities in UK would not be much better.....

Again, I want to say sorry for my somehow unfounded comments.

ReputationRep:
    Although I have not been to Aberystwyth, I know I don't like city life. HK is a big polluted city and I expect the cities in UK would not be much better.....

Again, I want to say sorry for my somehow unfounded comments.
    Apart for the fact that HK has a population density of 6,294.65/km², whilst even London only has 4,697/km². I don't think there's anywhere in the UK quite as ... hardcore as Hong Kong.

Aberystwyth is completely the other end of the spectrum. One of my mates is there and loving it, because its welcome relief from Nottingham. So, yes, you probably will enjoy it, but it is going to be a bit of a stark contrast.

HK - 7,041,000 people
    Aber - 11,607 people + c. 9250 students in termtime. Yuh.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, I know. The population density of HK is very very high. Everyone live in apartments.

For example, I live in 31st floor so I do think I will enjoy living in a sparsely populated area... Thank you!

ReputationRep:
    Yes, I know. The population density of HK is very very high. Everyone live in apartments.

For example, I live in 31st floor so I do think I will enjoy living in a sparsely populated area... Thank you!
    There’s “sparse” and “Aberystwyth sparse”

Yeung, I think you’re in for one hell of a shock when you get there!

This is the best aerial picture I can find - http://www.bbc.co.uk/wales/mid/sites...ce_400x300.jpg of the centre of Aberystwyth.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wise One)
    HK - 7,041,000 people
    Aber - 11,607 people + c. 9250 students in termtime. Yuh.
    Don't forget the sheep!

ReputationRep:
    Looks quite nice from the sky

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tomdav)
    Looks quite nice from the sky
    Yeah, but one big tidal wave, and it'll all be gone.

(Joking - I'm sure its more geologically sound than that)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BearsAreGodlessKillingMachines)
    Reading (BBC entry as a backup)
    I also put down Politics + IR at Reading as a back-up. However, a couple of months after I'd submitted my application, I thought about it, and realised that I wouldn't actually want to go to Reading, as I felt I could do a lot better. In other words, only apply for somewhere you want to go - if the worst happens, you can always go for clearing, or take a year out - it's better than ending up somewhere you don't really want to go.

I don't know specfically about the places you're applying, but having two of your 3 A-levels as Business Studies and Media Studies could be a problem. Last week, Cambridge and LSE included these two subjects in a list of subjects that are 'less effective preparation for a degree course' and are generally not well regarded.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rui)
    I don't know specfically about the places you're applying, but having two of your 3 A-levels as Business Studies and Media Studies. Last week, Cambridge and LSE included these two subjects in a list of subjects that are 'less effective preparation for a degree course' and are generally not well regarded.
    That is my main concern. Is there anybody here who has done wither one or both of these subjects and still got in to a top uni?

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: August 30, 2006

University open days

• University of Lincoln
    Mini Open Day at the Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Dec '18
  • University of East Anglia
    UEA Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 4 Jan '19
  • Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 9 Jan '19
Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.