Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by j00ni)
    And don't forget Ropey Hall and the Adelphi
    Absolutely.

But I will NEVER go in the Queen Vic again. That place is the most under age hang out of Preston. I went in and felt old.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LubyLoo)
    Absolutely.

But I will NEVER go in the Queen Vic again. That place is the most under age hang out of Preston. I went in and felt old.
    Like Tokes (or whatever the hell it's called these days) on a saturday night. To be fair though I used to go there for a bit of underage drinking back in the day

The only time I ever got ID'd was last year. I was 22 ffs :mad:

ReputationRep:
    UCLan is a massive uni and I know lots of people who have studied there, but not many of them have had a great time. Obviously this is just anecdotal evidence, but based on everything I have heard about it the general teaching quality does not sound great, and the whole place is pretty disorganised. I know people less qualified than me who are actually teaching undergraduates there, which is worrying. Also, UCLan has one of the highest dropout rates of any university in the country (or at least it did not that long ago), which might be because they recruit a lot of students locally who often tend to drop out, or because they accept people who are underqualified for the courses, or maybe some other reason. I grew up in Preston and always knew I'd rather not go to uni at all than go to UCLan, even though the admissions department were constantly bombarding my sixth form college with invitations to open days, guaranteed places, etc. But if you value social life more than academics then it's probably a good place to go because of the monstrous new union club which seems to have sprung up there. In my opinion though, you'd be much better off commuting to MMU (which I think has roughly equivalent entry grades) if you want to carry on living at home.

ReputationRep:
    Less of the UCLAN hating la.

Its my Firm aswell. It impressed me a lot on the open day with modern sport facilities etc. My mate currently goes there and loves it aswell.

ReputationRep:
    I love it too.
    It annoys me that people judge it without knowing about it, cuz it's a great uni both academically and socially in my opinion.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cpj1987)
    I love it too.
    It annoys me that people judge it without knowing about it, cuz it's a great uni both academically and socially in my opinion.
    Yeah well good for you - however I someone who DOES know about it I do think that there is entitlement for opinions both good and BAD on here. To give potential students a well rounded view of the place.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WorkHouse)
    Yeah well good for you - however I someone who DOES know about it I do think that there is entitlement for opinions both good and BAD on here. To give potential students a well rounded view of the place.

When did I say there shouldn't be bad opinions about it on here? I never mentioned that anywhere. I totally agree that there should be both viewpoints on here; I was just saying that it annoys me that some people don't know about the uni and just go 'It's a rubbish uni' from league-table judgement or whatever.

ReputationRep:
    UCLAN is the dog's *******s! I graduated from there myself. Great three years.

It's insane to tar a complete university based on league tables as well. UCLAN does some things very well indeed academically speaking. It's also a superb "party university". I think Preston's a pretty decent town as well.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Howard)
    UCLAN is the dog's *******s! I graduated from there myself. Great three years.

It's insane to tar a complete university based on league tables as well. UCLAN does some things very well indeed academically speaking. It's also a superb "party university". I think Preston's a pretty decent town as well.
    Dead right. As things have turned out, I'll be going to Coventry but I know Preston well enough to know I would have enjoyed living there and I have always been impressed with the uni.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: May 11, 2007
Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.