A Level Subjects - Law Watch

superdillon
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by minkymama)
my GCSE'S wernt very good really, 1a, 4b, 3c, and an E.

Then did my alevels and got one E and C, redid my alevels and bucked up my ideas now im going to Nottingham in september to do law.
Id say, jus pick subjects you enjoy! I did communications, law, sociology and pyschology (which i dropped at a2)
Errr...is that Nottingham University or Nottingham Trent University?
Lewisy-boy
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Actually yea good question, those aren't a-levels I could see my mate prof Gravells accepting (the head of undergraduate programs at Nottm, he wrote a land law textbook but I doubt you use it as its ridiculously detailed andactually a bit gay for undergrads! but he recommends it to us, for obvious reasons).
superdillon
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Lewis-HuStuJCR)
Actually yea good question, those aren't a-levels I could see my mate prof Gravells accepting (the head of undergraduate programs at Nottm, he wrote a land law textbook but I doubt you use it as its ridiculously detailed andactually a bit gay for undergrads! but he recommends it to us, for obvious reasons).
I agree...I prefer Gray and Gray's textbooks. Highly recommeded.
Lewisy-boy
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
What, that thing is even worse!! I met Kevin Gray actually, hes a prof at Cambridge and a visiting prof here at NUS, a thoroughly nice guy. However, his book is far too detailed and (some comedy here, Gravells is a bit of a legend for this) at the start of the year G picked it up and pretended it was too heavy to lift, informed us it was far too detailed and contained alot of stuff we never needed to know, then told us the pages felt like toilet paper!! was so funny. Anyway of the 3 books (gray, gravells and thompson) gray is too detailed but extremely good, thompson is too simple, and i found gravells struck the balance nicely ... I got 70 for land (second highest in my year) so I did ok.
superdillon
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
What, that thing is even worse!! I met Kevin Gray actually, hes a prof at Cambridge and a visiting prof here at NUS, a thoroughly nice guy. However, his book is far too detailed and (some comedy here, Gravells is a bit of a legend for this) at the start of the year G picked it up and pretended it was too heavy to lift, informed us it was far too detailed and contained alot of stuff we never needed to know, then told us the pages felt like toilet paper!! was so funny. Anyway of the 3 books (gray, gravells and thompson) gray is too detailed but extremely good, thompson is too simple, and i found gravells struck the balance nicely ... I got 70 for land (second highest in my year) so I did ok.
Yeah the Gray and Gray textbook is pretty thick and has too much information but the same authors have produced a Land Law textbook in the Oxford Core Text Series which really simplifys things.
Incidentally did you use a casebook for the course, if so which one?
Lewisy-boy
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I have never used a casebook. They really bug me, I prefer just to read the headnotes (not really the best method). I just used a textbook and a statute book, and articles (which, as you've probably realised are the best way to get a first). Some of our textbooks are cases and materials books and the extracts from cases really annoy me and interrupt the text.
superdillon
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I have never used a casebook. They really bug me, I prefer just to read the headnotes (not really the best method). I just used a textbook and a statute book, and articles (which, as you've probably realised are the best way to get a first). Some of our textbooks are cases and materials books and the extracts from cases really annoy me and interrupt the text.
Well minus the textbooks in my opinion unless its something like chitty on contracts (or basically any text that has/can be referred to by judges in their speeches).
Heavy reliance on textbooks amd/or lecture notes is indicative of a 2:2 grade.
Casebooks I like they are good for revision and are easily accessible with most (and for some) all of the important parts of an important judgment.
Lewisy-boy
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
What? Thats *******s what you just wrote about a 2.2. Provided you know the law and can apply it accurately (which can ceasily be found in textbooks, im not saying CITE them) then you should get a 2.1. Although yes, heavy reliance on lectures notes does give a 2.2.
superdillon
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
What? Thats *******s what you just wrote about a 2.2. Provided you know the law and can apply it accurately (which can ceasily be found in textbooks, im not saying CITE them) then you should get a 2.1.
The kind of the law that you can find in textbooks that you are referring to (i.e.the kind that would be of use to get at least a 2:1 in an exam) is those short extracts of speeches by judges in important cases- you will find more of the like in casebooks.
Of course textbooks are good for picking up the principles and relevant doctrines etc but you could pick that kind of thing up easily by attending lectures.
In an exam you need to apply/use the Law. The Law isn't what textbook writers such as Treitel, Allen, Ashworth say it is but what Lord Justice or Lord so-and-so says it is. The former you find in textbooks the latter in casebooks and law reports. Hence you should use the latter more.
Lewisy-boy
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Well I can honestly say I dont, and I have a first ... just out of interest what do you ahve and where from... dont think I know.
minkymama
Badges: 0
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by superdillon)
Errr...is that Nottingham University or Nottingham Trent University?
Errr.... Nottingham, otherwise i would have said "Nottingham Trent"
chriswhit
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Articles and the like *can* improve marks if used well. Sometimes they can actually cause problems, as students get involved in complex debates without establishing a sound grasp of more fundamental issues first
Lewisy-boy
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Yea, I agree. But I still dont accept superdillions argument that if you only know whats in textbooks and lectures its impossible to score a 2.1. Although my land law lecturers did say that you cant get a 2.1 with lectures alone, there was alot of debate and further stuff in the textbook quite sufficient to make it up.
LittleMissCurious
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Guys, I'm having the same crisis! I know I definitely want to do English Literature, History and French, but I can't decide on my fourth subject! I was thinking of doing Maths, but I don't think that would be a good idea as I'm predicted A/B, and I don't think I'd cope very well with the A level. I was also thinking of doing Philosophy but I've heard that it's a 'soft' option, and I'm not sure if doing three essay-based subjects would be a good idea. I'm considering Economics - is it a respected A level? Is it hard? What is it, exactly? I know it deals with money and how it affects the world around us, but could someone give me a more detailed description of what the subject consists of? I also considered Psychology, but I heard that this is also a 'soft' option, so I don't think I'll do that anymore. I'm no good at sciences. Does anyone have any suggestions as to which fourth subject I should take?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of East London
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Wed, 23 Jan '19
  • University of East Anglia
    All Departments Open 13:00-17:00. Find out more about our diverse range of subject areas and career progression in the Arts & Humanities, Social Sciences, Medicine & Health Sciences, and the Sciences. Postgraduate
    Wed, 30 Jan '19
  • Aston University
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 30 Jan '19

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Remain (1439)
79.72%
Leave (366)
20.28%

Watched Threads