Retaking and Re-applying? [merged thread] Watch

iamgenius
Badges: 0
Report 12 years ago
can i ask in general the ppl talking about or having done resits do they mean as an external candidate or an actual 3rd year?
worldwide
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
you don't get it. You get the best score out of the original exam and the retake, but YOU HAVE TO DECLINE THE GRADE.
worldwide
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
i think i have about a 0 chance of getting accepted by Bristol again, to be honest :p: I got lucky once, and this time they'll know i didn't get AAA and will reject me in favour of candidates who might.
indiechick2kuk
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
wish this thread was up last year! You have to decline your whole A Level grades if you wish to resit any modules but you will keep all your good marks, including c/w so there isnt a need to resit all of your modules! I did this and looking at my results slip it looks really odd as I've got results from 2004/5/6!!

I went all the way to uni and then dropped, and then reapplied and resat some of my AS and A2 modules, I didn't intend to do this in comparison to the thread starter who is thinking this....

Declining grades and resitting modules can be expensive too as theres also a deadline to decline your grades which I think is around the 18th of september.

As for it looking bad on your Ucas application, if your predicted grades for 2007 will be AAA, you will most definatly recieve offers from SOME OF the top universities.

Re-sitting modules is definatly worth it if you get the grades you want, but all it takes is one bad exam and you could be in exactly the same position as when you didn't resit.
Kerbz
Report 12 years ago
Basically, my A2 results were BBB, with an A at AS. I got rejected from my first choice (Warwick) which required AAB, and my insurance choice is Lancaster, who have accpeted my offer. Im am not totally 100% sure that i want to go to Lancaster (however i am going there again very soon for a second opinion) but just got a few questions if someone could help me out, should i choose to retake and reapply. Appreciate it alot whoever can help!

1) After completing my A2 grades, is it possible to decline these grades, and retake some of the AS modules to improve my grade? - (on this information sheet i have with regards to my college, it says i can decline my A2 grades, and resit one of my A2 or AS modules...- just wanted to get confirmation on this please?

2) I know there are quite a few posts concerning this, but if i do retake my year, and get better A-level grades, will this affect Universities/Employers decisions? Will they regard having to take another year out to improve my grades before university as a negative point, or will there not realy be any effect?

3) Iv been rejected from my first choice (Warwick), as i did not achieve the required grades (AAB), (got BBB - very very few marks off though), but if i do reapply next year, what are the chances of being offered another placement at Warwick?....many people who have AAA have not even been offered a place, so im guessing the offer is given primarily on predicted grades and mainly your personal statement?...so will this be likely that i will get another offer 2007?

Any help on these questions will be very appreciated! Thanks a tonne!
Madprof
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
1) Yes, that's right. You can decline the grades, and resit whatever you like, then cash them back in when you've done the resits.

2) Depends what you apply for and where. Ask the places you'd apply to next year what they'd say. As for employers after your degree, they may not even have to know (although it's likely you'll have to date when you finished your A-levels so they'd see). If they did see, they my not pick up on it. Chance are they'd care more about the grades you got and your degree, but I'm just guessing.

3) Ring up Warwick and ask. They were obviously impressed by your if AAA students didn't get an offer, so could well say they'll consider your application next year. Again, so much depends on the subject and the department at Warwick.
random_bloke
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
lancaster is a great place.
Bape
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Ezekiel)
Thats a waste of a year, you retook the AS year when you got BCC:confused: You could of gone to uni on time if you had just done retakes in January and June.
Nah, it wasn't really the grades i wasnt happy with, it was the subjects i was taking, otherwise, it probably would have been a waste of a year:rolleyes:
Kerbz
Report 12 years ago
Thanks for the help peeps, very appreciated! Should be retaking the year i think from that info, but yea, thanks and good luck w/e your doing!
worldwide
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
if i reapply, should i put in my PS that i got a 'b' by 7 ums and am retaking to push it up to an 'A'? if i do this, i will surely get unconditionals from unis that give AAB offers or lower? also, will the uni that rejected me after i missed my offer even consider me again?
Juno
  • PS Reviewer
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by worldwide)
if i reapply, should i put in my PS that i got a 'b' by 7 ums and am retaking to push it up to an 'A'? if i do this, i will surely get unconditionals from unis that give AAB offers or lower? also, will the uni that rejected me after i missed my offer even consider me again?
That's the kind of thing that does not go in the PS! It can go in your reference though, so ask your referee (or form tutor if you're unsure)
Madprof
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Yes, it would definately look better in the reference. Your referee can mention at the same time as giving you a predicted grade. They should be able to make it clear what you're retaking and why, so universities can give any offers accordingly.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of the Arts London
    MA Performance Design and Practice Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 24 Jan '19
  • Coventry University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 26 Jan '19
  • Brunel University London
    Undergraduate Experience Days Undergraduate
    Sat, 26 Jan '19

Are you chained to your phone?