The Student Room Group
Mappin Building
University of Sheffield
Sheffield

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Awesome, you've really got a handle on this thread, Buttercup =)
I was planning to Bump it if it dropped too far down, a sticky would be great.
Mappin Building
University of Sheffield
Sheffield
Reply 41
onean
I fly into Manchester on the 16th, anyone know an easy route into Opal House from there (without taxi fares...)?

Get a train to Sheffield from Manchester Airport train station (ask when you get there, it's underneath the airport as far as I'm aware). The direct trains (no changes, easiest way!) leave on an hourly basis at :53 past the hour and take 1hr10mins to reach Sheffield. And, according to thetrainline.com, the fare for that should be £15.70 (much cheaper than the £40 taxi it cost me from Sheffield to Manc Airport!!). Then get a tram from the station to West Street at the bargain price of £1.00 (takes about 10mins) and walk down the road (about 5mins) to Opal House.

Phew...and I bet I don't even earn any rep for all my research :wink:
Reply 42
Block H Flat 8
Opal house wasn't my first option I don't think, But I am SO happy I got it. It literally has everything - phone in room (I was thinking of having to get a contract phone cuz pay as you go phone bills would be too high, but now I don't :biggrin:), internet connection (although being charged for that), and the huge security they have makes me feel a lot safer. The flat size is perfect as well - 3-5 people, I was worried I was going to have to share a kitchen with like 10 people, and as snobbish as it sounds, I don't want 9 other people stealing my milk! I'm so over-excited about going, i've driven all my friends up the wall because most of them haven't got the accomodation they wanted in other unis and have ended up with Catered, Non-ensuite share a bathroom with the rest of Sheffield, sorta thing. Anywho, hope to be seeing you all soon!

Darielle

P.S - Does anyone know how the block/flat is organised? I merely wondered what floor I would be on with Flat 8. Thanks.
Reply 43
Hi, I'm in Block G, flat 10. I'm so excited, can't wait till the 16th!
Reply 44
btw guys, devonshire have their own bar/pub/coffee shop thingy on the ground floor and since we're right next to it, we could probably invade it and take it as ours
Reply 45
Vanquisher
btw guys, devonshire have their own bar/pub/coffee shop thingy on the ground floor and since we're right next to it, we could probably invade it and take it as ours

heh sounds GOOD... since we probably have the numbers. :smile: yay.
Reply 46
its expensive...its not devonshire's...it's a regular peoples' pub...old men go there and drink guiness..
Reply 47
i guess the old men will have to go then
Reply 48
expensive and full of old men... even if the old guys go, i'm not paying anything extra for my drinks. i'm probably just going to have a pub crawl to celebrate my arrival and choose my local from what i can remember... anyone else up to join me?
Reply 49
yeah really expensive...id rather go somewhere further afield than the dev cat. varsity and cavendish yay
Don't worry we'll find a good local in time =p
Reply 51
I went to Sheffield yesterday to have a look around the city before its over run with evil students :p: and omg :eek: the place is so nice BUT they havent finished the Opal courts yet!! not long till we start now too.
Its nice how close town + a million food places are but the only down side is that the law building is like 20 mins walk :eek:
Oooh another person from Notts, yoohoo! I'm setting off for sheffield in about ten minutes, I'll take photos and show you all later =p
Reply 53
the law building is FAR! im in the sociology building for quite a lot of things and that's far - Crookesmoor is at the top of a mountain!
Reply 54
-x-buttercup-x-
Oooh another person from Notts, yoohoo! I'm setting off for sheffield in about ten minutes, I'll take photos and show you all later =p

Oooo I can't wait! More piccies!:biggrin:
Reply 55
I know!! its nice walking down (great view across) but its a damn trek and a half <_< lets hope i dont have to walk too much there...
yea ima from notts :biggrin: actually live quite close to Mansfield (but dont tell too many people that :p:)
The water features + green grass around the city makes it look so nice :eek: where as nottingham... psff ¬_¬
Reply 56
yeh sheffield is a beautiful city, though for some reason the entire uni area seems to be built on a hill!
Reply 57
-x-buttercup-x-

Reply 58
:tongue:ig: Bump!
Reply 59
i only have to go as far as sociology...and even people doing first yr law that i know didnt have to do the crookesmoor trek too often. though ironically they now live on top of that hill haha

Latest