Turn on thread page Beta

Why is poverty such a problem now in the UK watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ineedtorevise127)
    If we talk about poverty we think of countries like Ethiopia or India but we ignore the fact that it is a huge problem even in the UK.

We are seeing more people go hungry leading to more usages of food banks

Fuel poverty is also a problem for many

http://policy-practice.oxfam.org.uk/...erty-in-the-uk

some say that "it is unacceptable that over 13 million people in the UK do not have enough to live on, and most do not have the power to speak out about what this feels like and why it is wrong."

This is also baffling that most people classed as being in poverty have a job

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-25287068

One in six children lives in poverty, UK statistics show
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-22887005

Your thoughts?

What can be done to reduce poverty?

Who do you blame?

Thanks
    Well because they are leagues apart. What poverty is in India and what poverty is here are two different things, no the former is definitely more severe than the latter...

That said though there are definitely people in this country who are suffering I've spoken to people who run a local food bank,and the stories I've heard have shown me that there is a very real and very hidden problem in this county to deal with. You have parents who will go without food so that their children can eat, people having to make a choice between heating or food during the winter. These people may not be dying of starvation with no access to clean water or medical care, but they are suffering.

As for what can be done and who is responsible... I couldn't say, it's nice and east to blame millionaire bankers etc. on the worlds ills and for not doing enough, but I'm convinced that those of us with any ability to help at all be it through our money or our time should do so.

ReputationRep:
    Because right wingers like to give tax breaks for the rich instead of helping the poor.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ineedtorevise127)
    If we talk about poverty we think of countries like Ethiopia or India but we ignore the fact that it is a huge problem even in the UK.

This is also baffling that most people classed as being in poverty have a job
    It's a statistical trick, and once you know it, not baffling at all. In India and Ethiopia poverty is measured as lack of access to survival materials. In Britain, it's measured as having an income below a certain percentage of the median. In British what is called "poverty" is actually income inequality.

If you measured British poverty by the standards of India and Ethiopia there would be none. On the other hand, if you measured Ethiopian poverty by the standards of Britain there would be less than there is now, and less than in Britain!

It's up to you which of these measures better represents the reality.

Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.