The Student Room Group

Can you permaban persistent racist trolls?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by usycool1
Indeed. :sadnod:

If someone does break rules while using a proxy though, we just tend to perma ban them. :yep:

(And we also have other ways of identifying users on here, not just by their IP addresses)

Like using the same email address or admitting it?

(both of which I did :teehee:)
Original post by slade p
imtelling and greenmarbles and 2 blatant racists who should be banned.

imtelling definitely should be, along with sallyjimjam
Reply 42
Original post by yo radical one

I think they're good entertainment.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Tyrion_Lannister
The individual in question keeps saying whites are dirty and disgusting and engage in beastiality.

It wouldn't be a certain individual of Asian origin, currently residing in France, now on their 4th account that I know of ( I'm fairly new here) who posts the same verbatim post containing the same Daily Mail clips from centuries ago, would it?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by miscounted_time
It wouldn't be a certain individual of Asian origin, currently residing in France, now on their 4th account that I know of ( I'm fairly new here) who posts the same verbatim post containing the same Daily Mail clips from centuries ago, would it?

Posted from TSR Mobile

How do you know he is of Asian origin ?
Original post by SecretDuck
Unfortunately, it's not possible. They use Tor to get around the IP ban and some people have about 30+ perma-banned accounts. Not going to name names but if you recognise me, you'll realise who I'm talking about.

30+ permabans!! Do they not have anything more constructive they can do with their lives.....

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by College_Dropout
How do you know he is of Asian origin ?

I don't for sure, the same way I cant be sure he lives in France, it might be by next door neighbour. I was merely providing the description of the troll as he gives it so people would know who I was talking about.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by EmmaBxoxo
Never heard of him lol.

Doesnt the issue arise though from banned members using any made up domain, for an email address.

Well, you missed a time when a guy rigged the MUN elections and let his ego grow to the size of the sun. He was a good guy in Fle Gang - but anywhere else... :afraid:

Not always - one uses throwaway accounts and another uses the domain tsr.com :mmm:

30+ permabans!! Do they not have anything more constructive they can do with their lives.....

Posted from TSR Mobile

I know - I think if there was ever a Guiness World Record of the most amount of perma-bans...at least he will be a contender. I know of some users on Facepunch who have been perma-banned hundreds of times. At least he stopped...for now.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 48

yes i forgot sallyjimjam.
Original post by Ggmu!
I think they're good entertainment.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Then you must wind them up more

induce a full meltdown on these crazies
Reply 50
Then you must wind them up more

induce a full meltdown on these crazies

I just tell them they're white genocide isn't important, and I have a claim to English wealth as I'm Indian :biggrin:.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yep! Way more than 4 accounts sadly
Don't feed the trolls and you'll be fine, the ban hammer always serves justice :cool:
Original post by Ggmu!
I just tell them they're white genocide isn't important, and I have a claim to English wealth as I'm Indian :biggrin:.

Posted from TSR Mobile

You fully deserve it :pierre:

You should personally be given the Queen's Crown as repayment
Original post by Foo.mp3
Being bigoted/spreading hate isn't cool, and naturally moderators of all public 'forums' must police these things in the course of serving their social mandate. However, I don't agree that when someone posts something offensive one need necessarily read it, let alone decide to be offended/upset by it (especially patently ignorantly/mindlessly offensive content e.g. the work of an unsophisticated mind/troll). Indeed reacting only feeds the trolls

On a broader, more philosophical level I have been warned/banned and had comments removed on this forum in an overzealous fashion (including comments that may be linked to ethnicity) ~ moderating behaviour that serves as to generate (more) anger/frustration (may hence 'stoke the flames' somewhat) and risks over-sanitising environments such as this, which is seldom socially optimal in terms of personal development and grown up discourse/real world readiness

/endlecture

:clap2: I bow to you in agreement, sir. It does not let me give rep, unfortunately.
Original post by PythianLegume
TSR does do IP bans, I believe, but it's not difficult to get around these.

Most forums only use IP bans as a last resort. On another forum, I have had 13 accounts banned and my IP address is still intact. :smile:
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Hijr
They already IP banned a friend of mine :tongue: (Took about 25 accounts though :teehee:)

I know that IP bans are a last resort.

On a similar note, we always get kitchen advertisers visit this forum too. I wish TSR gave those kitchen advertisers an IP Ban. :smile:
They should IP ban them, it should be something reserved for the extreme users who promote racism as opposed someone who is just a little spammy

The thing is, websites can have blanket blocks on proxies so this idea that they would find a way around it, is totally false.
They should IP ban them, it should be something reserved for the extreme users who promote racism as opposed someone who is just a little spammy

The thing is, websites can have blanket blocks on proxies so this idea that they would find a way around it, is totally false.

I've seen websites before who have IP Banned virtually all of the proxies out there.

Luckily the main forums I use, haven't. :smile:
Original post by OU Student
You can. Not going to go into detail; but we go on far more than IP address.

Yet you still fail miserably at it...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending