Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I'm jealous of my (rich?) best friend. Watch

ReputationRep:
    If you'd like to be in her position and able to spend to your hearts content get a job. Or just shop in Primark, that stuffs cheap.

If it's only the jealousy that bothers you, talk to your friend. You never know she may feel sorry for you and buy you stuff

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by goldenfish)
    Get a job.

Problem solved.
    No it isn't, she's jealous of her friend.

I think this needs to be made clear. Jealousy is a feelings TOWARDS people, it is relation to what other people are doing. What you do yourself is really quite irrelevant, and typically trying to one-up someone will lead to feelings of frustration and unhappiness.

(Original post by Dani California)
    It actually makes me sad that your friend would make you feel stupid. Talk to her, and don't let her belittle you. You got this. :five:

Thank you, if she makes me feel that way again, I will calmly tell her how it makes me feel. Do you think I should perhaps distance myself from her? Not a whole bit, as she is my best friend, but maybe just spend time with other friends also.

(Original post by phoenixxff)
    i know exactly how you feel, don't talk to her directly about it. That will just upset her try and just subtly talk with some other friends as well as hang out with other friends more. This will broaden your mind to think that there is more to life than comparing yourself with another person, there are other people in the world but her.

Although its not her fault, feeling dragged down by her shows that maybe its not meant to be... xxx
    Thank you, I think I should hang out with other friends. I do have other friends, but I only really hang out with her. I agree, perhaps I'm a little too close to her.

(Original post by Melon girl)
    Unnecessary rudeness.

Try and make your own money? Apply for jobs, even see if she can get one for you too? Ask your parents for some extra cash in return of more housework etc?

Thank you, I'm just going to try to save up any money I do get. I might ask my dad if there are any jobs that he knows of.

(Original post by MostUncivilised)
    It's absolutely okay for you to talk to her about your feelings. I'm certain, if she is a true friend, will be more sensitive about it in future.

A true friend doesn't flaunt their wealth in front of a mate who is less well off, a true friend will find a way to ensure they can do things together that does not make one of the friends feel left out. Otherwise, if she is taking you on shopping trips where she buys and you don't have money to buy, then she's using you as a prop, not a friend.

Talk to her about it
    Thank you. She does do this, which upsets me. I know she will ask me out on shopping trips when she knows I don't want to because I will spend money (food, bus fare) that I don't need to spend. I just don't feel she understands how I feel, if that makes sense.

(Original post by crazytown2014)

I think this needs to be made clear. Jealousy is a feelings TOWARDS people, it is relation to what other people are doing. What you do yourself is really quite irrelevant, and typically trying to one-up someone will lead to feelings of frustration and unhappiness.
    Thank you, that's exactly what I mean. I don't feel I actually am desperate for a job, it's because I'm jealous. If I get a job, if I don't try and compete with her, she will try and compete with me. Then this will be an excuse for say if I decline a shopping trip, she will say "oh, how come as you've just got payed?" and things like that. Not saying if a job came up I would decline it because of her, but I don't want to go out there searching just so I can compete with her and her money.

ReputationRep:
    Well this is hilarious.

Ask her to hook you up as well? I personally wouldn't need to be asked if it was my 'bestie'!

(Original post by Applescruff)
    If you'd like to be in her position and able to spend to your hearts content get a job. Or just shop in Primark, that stuffs cheap.

If it's only the jealousy that bothers you, talk to your friend. You never know she may feel sorry for you and buy you stuff
    Thank you, it's silly really because I'm not even that bothered about buying a load of rubbish that I will regret buying. I think it's just a clash in personalities, (this is not jealously talking) I am quite content with life, however I think perhaps shopping and money are what make her happy.

(Original post by brownbearxo)
    Well this is hilarious.

Ask her to hook you up as well? I personally wouldn't need to be asked if it was my 'bestie'!
    What do you mean? With a job? I've asked, but she said there is none.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    What do you mean? With a job? I've asked, but she said there is none.
    She doesnt sound like a very nice friend

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Thank you, if she makes me feel that way again, I will calmly tell her how it makes me feel. Do you think I should perhaps distance myself from her? Not a whole bit, as she is my best friend, but maybe just spend time with other friends also.
    Tell her nicely, and if she totally overreacts, give each other some space, maybe? Let her know that friends are not supposed to treat each other like ****e. I personally wouldn't let anyone make me feel like that, nevermind my best friend. Go spend time with others, and maybe she'll realise?

try not to feel bad about being jealous, I have also been jealous of a friend before, but I realised its important to focus on what YOU are good at rather than what they are good at, if you can have more confidence in yourself, maybe this could help stop your jealousy.

What would you do if there was something you've wanted for absolutely ages but you can't afford it and your friend isn't even that bothered by it yet she buys it anyway in a blink of an eye? For example, say you've wanted to see your favourite band for the past 5 years, but you can't afford a ticket. Your best friend doesn't even like them yet she buys a ticket to go. Or a similar thing with anything else?

(Original post by brownbearxo)
    She doesnt sound like a very nice friend
    She is a nice friend, she just has her moments.

(Original post by Dani California)
    Tell her nicely, and if she totally overreacts, give each other some space, maybe? Let her know that friends are not supposed to treat each other like ****e. I personally wouldn't let anyone make me feel like that, nevermind my best friend. Go spend time with others, and maybe she'll realise?
    Thank you, I just feel that maybe she would be happy if she knew it had made me jealous? She's mentioned/seemed jealous of me in the past, so perhaps she would like me to reciprocate?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by crazytown2014)

She's jealous her friend has money to spend. If she gets a job, she'll also have money to spend, hence there'll be no need to be jealous.

Posted from TSR Mobile

She's jealous her friend has money to spend. If she gets a job, she'll also have money to spend, hence there'll be no need to be jealous.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I know what you mean, but I think it's less what I have, and more what other people have. Like rich business men who aren't content because they aren't "the richest" like Bill Gates. Poor example, sorry.

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    She could earn 6 digits for all I care, the problem is in her head, and it's easier and healthier to solve the problem in your head than to try to alter your life every time you feel jealous.
    Typically, trying to match up to the people you're jealous of leads to feelings of frustration and unhappiness, not satisfaction or pleasure.

ReputationRep:
    Get a job too, work loads of hours and make lots of money

Posted from TSR Mobile

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: June 2, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.