Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I just can't wait to find out timetable.
    Then I feel I can relax it either works or I pretty much beg them to move me in another group to help me regarding childcare.
    Its the not knowing kills me.
    Im sure unis are supportive once in but just leaving u hanging till sep to sort childcare is hard x

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jolene1986)
    I just can't wait to find out timetable.
    Then I feel I can relax it either works or I pretty much beg them to move me in another group to help me regarding childcare.
    Its the not knowing kills me.
    Im sure unis are supportive once in but just leaving u hanging till sep to sort childcare is hard x

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I think people with children should be given their timetables earlier so as to be able to sort out childcare before actually starting. I am lucky as my partners a stay at home dad so i dnt have those worries. Until our daughter goes to nursery then i gotta figure how to get her to and from nursery lol!

ReputationRep:
    Im seriously considering not going
    Yes being a lawyer is my dream but what if my dream makes me not the best mother I can be.
    My contact hrs is around 12 hours.
    Im hoping they can do me 3 days between 9-4 rather them 4 days. Then I don't have to worry about pick ups etc for schools and taking my daughter to groups.
    Im honestly wondering if im capable. Maybe I should leave a few yrs but will there ever be a gd time.
    I if all goes well finish yr my son goes to school so I'll get to do the setterling in etc .
    But the last few weeks the fear is over taking the joy for it x

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Yes being a lawyer is my dream but what if my dream makes me not the best mother I can be.
    Im hoping they can do me 3 days between 9-4 rather them 4 days. Then I don't have to worry about pick ups etc for schools and taking my daughter to groups.
    Im honestly wondering if im capable. Maybe I should leave a few yrs but will there ever be a gd time.
    I if all goes well finish yr my son goes to school so I'll get to do the setterling in etc .

Posted from TSR Mobile
    There will undeniably be some short term guilt and emotional pain, when it comes to time spent with your children. Just make sure you up the quality of your time spent together. It's like anything else in life, you have to decide if you are strong enough to realise that a few short years of less than optimal contact time with your child, is worth having a higher quality of life experience for both of you, for the many years you will live.

Personally, it is a no brainer. We are just a flawed species neurologically. We prefer short term benefits, to long term rewards.

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    For me the way i think of it, yes we are going to be neglecting our kids, but for the short time that will be for, the long term benefits totally outweigh it for me! Im doing this for them, give them a better quality of life. I am spending every 2nd with them now over the hols to make up for the last 9months in college. And as long as my workload isnt too mucb when it comes to holidays in uni i will make sure we do something special.
    It will be worth it and they will be proud of their mummy for working hard and giving them a better quality of life in the future. X

ReputationRep:
    Hard thing is unis don't have all the holidays
    Neglect I certainly don't wanna do that to my kids. On open day the tutor says time table all work during week so that weekends and evenings were urs I get id have to swap days of work to evenings.
    I don't want to change how I parent on my days of degree is my choice not there's x

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Many parents have to work full-time when their children are small - with only 4 weeks holiday a year. At university, you will have the advantage of spending all the long school holidays with your children, and you will be able to arrange a lot of your home-study around their needs. You have no reason to feel guilty at all. Enjoy the course, and remember that you're helping to improve their prospects as well as your own.

ReputationRep:
    Thank you that has made me feel a bit pos after talking to some friends and hubby
    He said least see how yr 1 goes
    Im hoping after yr 1 I can transfer to the uni that's close to me x

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    How you all feeling
    I am terrified worried im.not brainy enough. Il be neglecting my kids. That there hte me. Excitement has gone into fear.
    Ive done college but uni feels a whole new ball game. My contact hrs are around 12 hrs lot of work self learning. But still I know time management il be fine
    But can't help but doubt myself

Btw congrats everyone xx

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I have those same feeling lately I want to show my son that hard work pays off but am so scared that I might not be giving him the time he needs. What course are you doing am doing Mchem and know it requires a lot of time for self learning. Will you be including your children in your self learning so they feel they are being included?

ReputationRep:
    Hello! Another parent here!

I'm Mum to a 4 year old and a 3 year old, and I'm about to embark on PGCE Secondary Science :eek::eek::eek:

Am I crazy? Yes. But I have a good support network so I'm hoping I can get through this.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Big hugs it's such a tough decision. My rationale for me studying is that I feel it would be better to study while the kids are younger. I don't know how I'd feel about studying if they were a bit older going towards their teen years, and going through all the emotions of puberty, the ups and downs etc. I'm greatful to have some support to let me switch off from being a Mum. It's only short term for a longer term benefit of seeing their Mum in a career, doing something that makes her happy.

Having said all that, the juggling of parenting and study is tough, no matter which way you dice it. All the best xx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pinkfrangipani)
    Hello! Another parent here!

I'm Mum to a 4 year old and a 3 year old, and I'm about to embark on PGCE Secondary Science :eek::eek::eek:

Am I crazy? Yes. But I have a good support network so I'm hoping I can get through this.

Big hugs it's such a tough decision. My rationale for me studying is that I feel it would be better to study while the kids are younger. I don't know how I'd feel about studying if they were a bit older going towards their teen years, and going through all the emotions of puberty, the ups and downs etc. I'm greatful to have some support to let me switch off from being a Mum. It's only short term for a longer term benefit of seeing their Mum in a career, doing something that makes her happy.

Having said all that, the juggling of parenting and study is tough, no matter which way you dice it. All the best xx
    Good luck, I hope all goes well and you achieve your goals.

ReputationRep:
    I am 32 and mum to 4 kids 3 girls aged 17,15,13 and a boy age 6. My youngest daughter is also severely physically disabled. I tried studying when girls were younger but was too stressful. I have just completed an access course and am starting university next month all thanks to the amazing support from my kids and my wonderful fiancé.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    39 married with 2 daughter's 6, & 8 my wife is the breadwinner. Start Sheffield Hallam university September 2014 studying computers. Have full support (push) from my wife and daughters.

ReputationRep:
    I am 38 and about to start a university course in nursing, having just completed an access course in June. I have 2 children both girls aged 7.5 and 4.

ReputationRep:
    I'm 36 with 4 kids age 2,13,14 and 16 leaving my full time job in education to study criminology at lincoln uni scary!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alibabba1977)
    I'm 36 with 4 kids age 2,13,14 and 16 leaving my full time job in education to study criminology at lincoln uni scary!
    All the best. Hope it goes well. I know what you mean by scary. I'm pretty much bricking it myself. I have a good support network behind me though so should be fine.

ReputationRep:
    I'm 33 with a 1 year old. Applying for medicine.

MedicineDream1 = Determined!

ReputationRep:
    I'm 34 and have 4 girls aged 11,9,8 & 6. Starting at Bradford uni in Radiography.
    Looking forward to being run off my feet even more so!

Good luck everyone.

ReputationRep:
    im a 24 year old mother of 2 my children are 4 and 1. ive just completed an access course and have a place for sunderland uni doing psychology!

good luck to every one

ReputationRep:
    Contact your course department for a timetable. I contacted the head of the computer department and asked if a timetable was ready for me to sort out childcare and have a draft timetable (a module may get moved) so now I can sort out child care.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.