Philosophy books for the first time reader? Watch

Kater Murr
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I started with B.R.'s Problems of Philosophy. Also, philosophy novels like Sartre's Nausea or Hesse's Steppenwolf might get wheels turning without having to apply lots of oil (eerrrr... so to speak). I'm reading Sophie's World now, though. I think she's annoying. But, as a basic hisotry, the factual bits are OK.
naivesincerity
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Zen and the art of motorcycle maintenance, seeing as no-one noted by Robert M Pirsig thread.
scout5
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I've been trying to get into philosophy, i found a book called, 'There Are Two Errors In The The Title Of This Book' by Robert M. Martin. It gives an overview of key ideas, but instead of just listing pros and cons (like anonther book i was recommended...) it is full of puzzles, examples and analogies to get you thinking and has lots of suggestions of further reading on all the topics discussed.
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Are the two errors that not all the words should have capital letters, and that there is in fact only one error? :p:
scout5
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
No, i'ts supposed to be it has a repeated 'The' and the paradox of only one error. But I didn't think that the title shouldn't have capitals at the beginning of the word... and there goes the paradox!
Despite that apparent error, it's a pretty good book.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you chained to your phone?

Yes (68)
19.43%
Yes, but I'm trying to cut back (144)
41.14%
Nope, not that interesting (138)
39.43%

Watched Threads