English Watch

scentoftheroses
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 12 years ago
Not getting on as well as I hoped! I've read Foe, Robinson Crusoe, Oroonoko and most of Pamela, a few poems and a couple of Shakespeare plays. Still have a loooooooot to get through, eeek!
Jacktion
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Does anyone know how many tutorial/lecture hours we'll have a week?
AstraeaBeauty
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Why do I have a sinking sensation that I am the only TSR member who will be doing Eng & Creative Writing this Sept?

Anyone else out there in lonley cyber space heading off to RH for the same course???

oh, well at least I'll have two classes with reg English students
MandaMcMoo
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Don't worry, I'm pretty sure I'm the only STUDENT doing both English and Italian.

I've been talking to various Uni friends of mine, and the Edition thing is apparantly really important. They wouldn't ask otherwise and this is why:

According to a random mate of mine - writing a University essay is an art. If you ever wrote a Bibliography for a piece of coursework, you'll know a little bit about it. It's all about referencing. Each department will have its own style of referencing but in literature it is likely to be that at the end of every essay you must have a reference list. In this you must have page numbers and line references for every quotation you take from every book, and you will be marked down if your reference is wrong because the people marking your essays will have the correct edition in front of them to check.

I really hope that this isn't the exact case but you can see the problem if it is, a different typeset in a different edition might mean that the same quotation is on a different page, or when a book has been revised the line may not exist at all.

I bought the wrong edition of A justified sinner, and now I'm worried.
Sambuca
Report 12 years ago
Well that's what I was wondering. We've been told to get this: M.H. Abrams, A Glossary of Literary Terms, 6th edition (Holt, Rinehart and Winston paperback), but I can only find the eighth and seventh editions. If the eighth is available do we still have to try and find the sixth edition? Seems odd that we need to use an older version because the examiners haven't bothered updating their copies!
polaris
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by AstraeaBeauty)
Why do I have a sinking sensation that I am the only TSR member who will be doing Eng & Creative Writing this Sept?

Anyone else out there in lonley cyber space heading off to RH for the same course???
Don't worry, you're not the only one The RH site said that they expect mainly mature students to take the course which has made me kind of nervous but it's nice to know there is someone else out there taking it!
excitedrainbow
Report 12 years ago
Originally posted by MandaMcMoo:
I've been talking to various Uni friends of mine, and the Edition thing is apparantly really important. They wouldn't ask otherwise and this is why:

According to a random mate of mine - writing a University essay is an art. If you ever wrote a Bibliography for a piece of coursework, you'll know a little bit about it. It's all about referencing. Each department will have its own style of referencing but in literature it is likely to be that at the end of every essay you must have a reference list. In this you must have page numbers and line references for every quotation you take from every book, and you will be marked down if your reference is wrong because the people marking your essays will have the correct edition in front of them to check.
I really hope that this isn't the exact case but you can see the problem if it is, a different typeset in a different edition might mean that the same quotation is on a different page, or when a book has been revised the line may not exist at all..
Oh ****!!!!

That's... um. Inconvienient. The only essential book that would be affected that I've bought is the Glossary of Literary Terms, and like everyone else, I searched for the 6th edition, but only found the 7th and 8th editions.

Anyone else here hoping that lots of secondhand copies of the 6th editions will be available to buy when we get there?

Royal Holloway, English,
Kingswood 1
hezzie28
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by excitedrainbow)
Oh ****!!!!

That's... um. Inconvienient. The only essential book that would be affected that I've bought is the Glossary of Literary Terms, and like everyone else, I searched for the 6th edition, but only found the 7th and 8th editions.

Anyone else here hoping that lots of secondhand copies of the 6th editions will be available to buy when we get there?

Royal Holloway, English,
Kingswood 1
Me too! I'm keeping everything crossed for the secondhand copies on arrival. Plus how expensive are they? We'll be broke before we start!!
Kew
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by MandaMcMoo)

I really hope that this isn't the exact case but you can see the problem if it is, a different typeset in a different edition might mean that the same quotation is on a different page, or when a book has been revised the line may not exist at all.
Surely all you need is a proper bibliography at the end of the essay, and correctly-referenced footnotes throughout? It isn't normal to put page numbers in the bibliography, only in footnotes (where it is essential to include them). I imagine line references would also only go in footnotes, not in the bibliography.

You're right about editions, though - they wouldn't bother specifying particular editions if they didn't want you to use them. Also, yes, you're supposed to include edition number in the bibliography.
poet-rhi
Report 12 years ago
I have found for you another English and Creative Writing Student in, er, me...I also thought I was the only out there. Do we have any kind of reading lists for it?!
AstraeaBeauty
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
:wavey: Hey poet-rhi,

So nice to see another Eng & Creative Writing person!

About the reading list's, I'm really not sure if we have one (reason tells me we should...?) , but on the RH website they have listed a few books/text's that I am to understand we will be reading during the course of the class. My question would be, are we supposed to read those text's before we arrive on the 25th??? I don't know.

Talk to ya later,
All the Best

AstraeaBeauty
polaris
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I have just brought the books for the two english modules we have to take, I'm not aware of any books we have been told to read for the creative writing half...
AstraeaBeauty
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
hey Polaris, yay another eng & creative writing person!

-----

Thought I'd let you guys know that if you go to the Eng section of the RH site you'll find detailed info about our timetables and induction...Eng & CW students: we only have classes two days a week [monday/friday]! Two Lectures w/Seminars and two CW classes. Unless my eyes are decieving me...

OR if your lazy lol, here's the link

http://www.rhul.ac.uk/English/
polaris
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Thanks for the info I don't think your eyes are deceiving you unless I can't read as well. Two days a week, I could definitely get used to that!
scentoftheroses
Report Thread starter 12 years ago
Ooooh, that's cool! Thanks for the link! So we have two days off in the middle of the week - fantastic! Hehe. The timetable looks a bit complicated, but I think I've managed to work it out! Think it'll make more sense when you know which seminar group you're in though!
Little Princess
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Oh I'm loving reading through all these posts. Don't stress your little selves about doing all the reading, defs leave Term 2 til Term 2 and HAVE FUN!! If you've read Pamela, you're a better student than me, and they're letting me come back!!!

Direct your english related questions in my general directions and let me see if I can help!!

A few tips to help you on your way:

Judith Hawley rocks. Period. Inventing the Novel Term 1 is *the* best reason to get out of bed. Also if you're lucky enough to have Kieran Ryan for your Shakespeare...the man is a god. Who also happens to bear more than a passing resemblance to Fat Tony from The Simpsons, but a dude nonetheless. Him and Judith used to make my Fridays.

*sigh* those were the days. When all you had to do was pass at the end of the year and nothing really mattered. I'm impressed they've got the timetables online, am about to investigate what mine looks like.

Enjoy. Oh, and Critical Practice... HAHA!!!

Laura
xx
gemby!
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Ok so i said i would read my term term novels on holiday...opps. Turns out Pamela was a bit of a struggle and made me easily distracted by cousins, walks up mountains, bike rides and badmington.

It will be a busy reading week !

ps. How many editions does amazon have of any of the shakespeare stuff ?!?!?! And why to RHUL recommend the most expensive edition which they know i wont be buying :P
AstraeaBeauty
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
If its the Arden Shakespeare...well that's beacuse it supposed to be the best copy/translation of his works :p: but it is very expensive!

It was the only copy which my Theatre Teachers at school would allow! even though they never paid for my books...I quite like the Arden's copy :rolleyes:
Jacktion
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I need to do Joseph and Shamela anddddddd Pamela, all the poems and the shakespeares. Eek!
gemby!
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
what does the cover of cassels guide to written english look like ? :rolleyes:

sorry to ask this kind of question again.

By the way after you read through Pamela, Shamela is really funny.
X

Reply to thread

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you like exams?

Yes (169)
18.61%
No (553)
60.9%
Not really bothered about them (186)
20.48%

Watched Threads