Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

B686 – British Bill of Rights 2014 Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Will95206)
    Nay.

Just scanned over it and I have an issue with your right to marriage 'man and woman' only... Such sort of inherent discrimination should not be implicit in the Bill of Rights.
    I don't think he meant that. Perhaps the wording was a little rushed though.

ReputationRep:
    No, on the ground that it leaves loopholes for legitimation if forced labour. Also, no person should be denied education is insufficient. It must be that the state is entitled to provide free universal education at any stage, to all citizens. The real question is,I think, do we need a constitution?
    Guaranteeing every citizen the right to free universal education, meritocracy, freedom of speech, workers protection , a living wage, etc...
    Above all, how can every country has its own thing which it calls human rights when all men are equal. The must be a global consensus.

ReputationRep:
    Unnecessary. Nay.

ReputationRep:
    No. I'm going to have a proper read over it tomorrow when I'm not exhausted but the numerous problems already highlighted by other members are already sending up red flags in my mind but as it stands it's a no.
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Can't you just repeal the bad parts of the HRA rather than bring in a whole new bill to codify our rights? For the most part, it does a great job and I don't really like codifying rights when it means that something we've not thought about could get missed. Keep what we have right now, adjust things like the right to a family life, and then you'll probably end up with something that's near perfect.

ReputationRep:
    Good idea, Jarred, but its implementation into UK law means the changes need to be agreed upon by all signatory members to the HR Convention. Hence why it's easier to copy and paste the bill but eliminate parts we dislike.

ReputationRep:
    Hear hear Jarred.

ReputationRep:
    There's no reason to to replace ECHR/UNCHR - they work perfectly fine already!
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mattvr)
    There's no reason to to replace EUCHR/UNCHR - they work perfectly fine already!
    One slight correction - it's ECHR. Don't help spread the myth that it's anything to do with the EU!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by O133)
    One slight correction - it's ECHR. Don't help spread the myth that it's anything to do with the EU!
    Typo error! Thank you for drawing attention to it - it's been corrected now.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by This Is Matt)
    You misread the bill. "Men and women have the right to marry" - That doesn't mean only men and women can marry each other. It means both sexes have the right to marry whoever. The wording is exact form the HRA1998.
    Thanks for clarifying this. I was interpreting it this way but was unsure of this after reading the comments.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tehFrance)
    Quite the opposite, abortion should be outlawed bar certain cases where the child is disabled.
    So you mean:
    a. if the woman's life is endangered, abortion should still be illegal?
    b. if both would die (doesn't necessarily mean the infant has a disability), abortion should still be illegal?
    c. if the woman was raped, even when she is 8, abortion should still be illegal?

But if the woman for whatever reason believes that the infant will be a transgender (which is still considered a disability), she should be able to abort it?
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    This is in cessation.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    This has been withdrawn.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Division! Clear the lobbies!

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 15, 2014
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.