Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Are any of these 3 laptops good for what I need? Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jammy Duel)
    After switching out to the SSD it should be a fair bit less than 50% heavier, and 150% of not much is still not much
    Choose. That or this!

http://business.panasonic.co.uk/comp...otebooks/cf-53
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Carry handle has me sold

ReputationRep:
    Carry handle has me sold
    Haha I thought that too! The fact they enjoy a bit of rough too is nice :p:

But yea I tried to find a modern lighter cheaper version of the air for fly. Seems impossible! Most in that weight range are north of a grand.

ReputationRep:
    Seems to be a lot of acer negativity. Maybe I can chime in with a positive one - I've had mine for just over 3 years now. Running great. Maybe in the past they were bad but certainly not today. I find most of their products reliable enough.

A list of breakdown rates below.

http://lifehacker.com/computer-manuf...tha-1467145338

As you can see, most manufacturers have roughly the same breakdown rates over the course of 3 years with most hovering around 20%. Even the infamous apple is not the top and is quite close to 20% (which to be fair I agree with as a lot of people I know with macs, iphones always seem to have one problem or another with them).

Anyhow, I hope I was able to add a more balanced opinion. Just go with the one that has specs you like. Don't worry about manufacturer.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by samba)
    Haha I thought that too! The fact they enjoy a bit of rough too is nice :p:

But yea I tried to find a modern lighter cheaper version of the air for fly. Seems impossible! Most in that weight range are north of a grand.
    tbh, I don't mind more bulk, especially if it results in a more rugged package. The way I look at it is that people want too much these days, in that they seem to want lighter and smaller for not good reason. If anything, it's damaging. Is an extra pound really too much for people these days?
    I think we should go back to the days of having to lug around books and then see if they complain

ReputationRep:
    tbh, I don't mind more bulk, especially if it results in a more rugged package. The way I look at it is that people want too much these days, in that they seem to want lighter and smaller for not good reason. If anything, it's damaging. Is an extra pound really too much for people these days?
    I think we should go back to the days of having to lug around books and then see if they complain
    Kinda agree, though obviously for fly lighter is better! Really hope DSA give her an x1 or sonthing suitable. I was thinking light is best for me too, but I'm thinking I might go the other way and get that tough book now. Especially as its drives are hot swappable.

I think the main issue is people just want something pretty or powerful or light 'just because' not because they're trying to fit it to their needs. Partly the fault of advertising but it really pisses me off when people say 'get a mac' or 'this one is best' without considering needs.

Even on this thread people have done it as they do so often with PC advice
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by samba)
    Kinda agree, though obviously for fly lighter is better! Really hope DSA give her an x1 or sonthing suitable. I was thinking light is best for me too, but I'm thinking I might go the other way and get that tough book now. Especially as its drives are hot swappable.

I think the main issue is people just want something pretty or powerful or light 'just because' not because they're trying to fit it to their needs. Partly the fault of advertising but it really pisses me off when people say 'get a mac' or 'this one is best' without considering needs.

Even on this thread people have done it as they do so often with PC advice
    If people actually listened to their needs Apple would be worth a fraction of what it is, smartphones would still be a reasonable price across the board and we would probably have better laptops.

I would rather take a 3K g laptop that will take a few bashes, have decent power, but still not die on me in half an hour over something half an inch thick which can barely even run its OS and some light programs without breaking a sweat that weighs 3lb any day. Even more preferable though would be if there was something like nvidia shield that would work well on the fly with the computer in a low power state and provide power as necessary.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Which is not gaming computers, when you enter into workstations things do get expensive, sure you can build a windows/linux rig for half the price that will benchmark the same, but workstations aren't for benchmarking, nor gaming, and running benchmarks and getting similar results doesn't necessarily make them comparable.
    It does make them comparable. A lot of synthetic benchmarks nowadays are designed to simulate real world usage such as video production and editing, etc.

ReputationRep:
    What about a little netbook or google chrome laptop

Nightworld1066

ReputationRep:
    I would stick to a cheaper brand like dell for assignments, reports, research and notes/PDF files but please note you may need to replace it after a few years.

But I would make sure you save anything previous such assignments on a flash stick that way if crisis occurs with laptop you always have a back up and also save files on to drop box for easy access in case you loose or left memory stick in halls.

Nightworld1066

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fat-Love)
    Seems to be a lot of acer negativity. Maybe I can chime in with a positive one - I've had mine for just over 3 years now. Running great. Maybe in the past they were bad but certainly not today. I find most of their products reliable enough.

A list of breakdown rates below.

http://lifehacker.com/computer-manuf...tha-1467145338

As you can see, most manufacturers have roughly the same breakdown rates over the course of 3 years with most hovering around 20%. Even the infamous apple is not the top and is quite close to 20% (which to be fair I agree with as a lot of people I know with macs, iphones always seem to have one problem or another with them).

Anyhow, I hope I was able to add a more balanced opinion. Just go with the one that has specs you like. Don't worry about manufacturer.
    Thanks for the link, looks like my other ASUS choice might be a good one, as it happened the two Acer's had issues anyway.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by iloveteddy14)
    What about a little netbook or google chrome laptop

Nightworld1066
    (Original post by iloveteddy14)
    I would stick to a cheaper brand like dell for assignments, reports, research and notes/PDF files but please note you may need to replace it after a few years.

But I would make sure you save anything previous such assignments on a flash stick that way if crisis occurs with laptop you always have a back up and also save files on to drop box for easy access in case you loose or left memory stick in halls.

Nightworld1066
    I need something that can cope with my graphic design + video editing hobbies on the side plus a big enough screen so that I can keep being lazy with my glasses :P Thanks, I mainly use OneDrive seeing as my USB's had a habit of freaking out after some period of time and refusing to work without formatting even though I'd done it at the start... I was probably doing something wrong but idk I just got lucky I never completely lost any work.

ReputationRep:
    Perhaps get one that has bigger memory and hard space or simply by a cheaper one and add in extra space and memory

Nightworld1066
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Namige)
    It does make them comparable. A lot of synthetic benchmarks nowadays are designed to simulate real world usage such as video production and editing, etc.
    Since you want to believe that workstation components are just gaming components at a rip off price, educate yourself.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 6, 2014
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.