Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

What percentage of blame, if at all any, rests with the victim during rape? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kutta)
    True, But we can only go by statistics.

and you can't get stonned for being raped.
    In many Muslim countries unmarried women are forced to marry their rapists and married women are charged with adultery (which in some countries is punishable by stoning to death.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Saoirse:3)
    I wouldn't "jump" on it, but I would say such an attitude however well-intentioned is harmful because it leads to rape victims blaming themselves as well as contributing to a culture where men believe that a woman somehow deserves to be raped if she decides not to take such precautions.
    I don't think there is a culture of rape victims being blamed. I think possibly in the past there was, but some would also suggest that it has in fact gone completely the other way, where a girls drunken recollections can have you stood in front of a firing squad before the police have even filed a report

ReputationRep:
    No, that just says the police don't keep an exceptionally high number of records of rape in those countries, NOT that it doesn't happen. It's hardly a ****ing surprise a woman doesn't go to the police about it when she can be charged with adultery and publicly stoned is it?!
    The other thing is guess who is ridiculously overrepresented in Sweden....
    Guess whose arrival coincided with a massive surges of rapes...
    (Original post by Kutta)
    Wrong, No Muslim countries in the top 10.

http://www.globalpost.com/dispatches...ents-rape-data

Check as many other sources as you want.

Here's the rate:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jammy4041)
    No blame whatsoever should be attributed to the victim of rape...whatever she's (/he's) wearing, wherever and when she(/he) is travelling, if applicable. 100% of the blame goes to the man (or woman) who cannot control himself (/herself), or who doesn't understand the meaning of 'no'.
    Interesting. I assume your position would be the same in a scenario where a billionaire goes for a walk inside a shanty town with cash dripping outside his pocket without any bodyguards?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheAnusFiles)
    The other thing is guess who is ridiculously overrepresented in Sweden....
    Guess whose arrival coincided with a massive surges of rapes...
    Well obviously there hasn't been massive surges in rapes, just a surge in rape reports since a change in sex legislation meaning women are now more likely to come forward (which isn't a bad thing surely?), and the figures are overrepresented because of legal procedures in Sweden that mean the police have to record every reported instance of rape for one victim. So along with the fact that the statistics presented by that graph are seriously misleading for the Middle East, the statistics at the top end can be misleading as well, so its an irrelevant source.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Olie)
    Well obviously there hasn't been massive surges in rapes, just a surge in rape reports since a change in sex legislation meaning women are now more likely to come forward (which isn't a bad thing surely?), and the figures are overrepresented because of legal procedures in Sweden that mean the police have to record every reported instance of rape for one victim. So along with the fact that the statistics presented by that graph are seriously misleading for the Middle East, the statistics at the top end are also misleading, so its an irrelevant source.
    There has. Since Muslim immigration to Sweden, the instances of rape have soared

ReputationRep:
    I say nothing about rape victims at all. I simply say we live in a culture where young people of both sexes frequently behave in an irresponsible and potentially dangerous manner.

ReputationRep:
    I accept you and the vast majority of other people who do this do so with the best of intentions, but the result is that you cause damage to rape victims rather than preventing them from suffering.
    Just to clarify: You're saying that, even if it is true that there are certain measures people can take to reduce the chances of getting raped, we should keep quiet about it and never actually say that this is the case?

If so, are there any other crimes that you think we should be treating this way, or is it just rape?

ReputationRep:
    If you leave valuables in your car its still 0% your fault if it gets nicked :s

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tsr1269)
    Interesting. I assume your position would be the same in a scenario where a billionaire goes for a walk inside a shanty town with cash dripping outside his pocket without any bodyguards?
    That is very insulting to men - insinuating that a man can't help but rape people in the same way that those truly in poverty whose children are literally starving can't help but turn to crime.

Would Insteal of the alternative was my children going hungry? Yes.
    Would I rape someone if the alternative was no sex? No.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by redferry)
    That is very insulting to men - insinuating that a man can't help but rape people in the same way that those truly in poverty whose children are literally starving can't help but turn to crime.

This completely.

Have you ever heard of the Rape of Mr Smith?

ReputationRep:

You're right but that isn't what he is saying.

Some men are rapists. They enjoy rape and they will do it because they want to and they can. This is a fact. There is nothing, that you, or I, or David Cameron can do to change this. So knowing this fact, that is as true as the fact fire will burn you, are you going to modify your behaviour to take this into account?

ReputationRep:
    If you leave valuables in your car its still 0% your fault if it gets nicked :s
    It is your fault. You don't deserve it but if you can easily prevent falling victim to a crime, why not do so.

Rapists are not a demographic group like whites or gays or Muslims or people from Sheffield. They are defined by their behaviour and as such there is a 100% chance that if you allow a rapist to rape you, you will be raped.

If someone sat under a tree, knowing full well that there was a hornets nest above, who would be to blame for them getting stung? The hornets or the person?

ReputationRep:
    There has. Since Muslim immigration to Sweden, the instances of rape have soared
    Not really.

Muslims form a similar proportion of the population in both Sweden and the UK. Therefore, if it was Muslims raping,then you would expect to see similar rate in the both places.

ReputationRep:

If you give people the opportunity to steal, would the steal?
    If you give people the opportunity to rape, would they rape?

My position is not a comparison between rape and theft, rather, it is what can be done to prevent the crimes in the first instance.

ReputationRep:
    None what so ever. Men should be taught not to rape, rather than women being taught not to get raped - only those who commit rape can completely prevent it from happening, no matter what the victim wears, where they walk, or what time they travel at.
    I really do hate people like you. Men should be taught not to rape? How dare you. I know fine well not to rape women.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pane123)
    I really do hate people like you. Men should be taught not to rape? How dare you. I know fine well not to rape women.
    I dont hate her because she wants the same thing but women have to realise that not raping people is actually pretty ****ing easy. I have an unbroken streak of no-rapes spanning nearly 20 years, and in fact I literally don't rape people in my sleep

ReputationRep:
    I appreciate that you probably can't speak Swedish but if there is any word that you don't understand, just say
    What does this graph have to do with what I said.

ReputationRep:
    0%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DorianGrayism)
    What does this graph have to do with what I said.
    It shows the overrepresentation of non-Swedes committing rapes

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.