Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ellie.rew)
    Of the 9, I think only 2 (maybe 3?) are open to internationals, the rest are AHRC, topped up with departmental and college money. There are also a few (maybe 2 or 3?) ESRC funded places, but only if your history is quantitative enough. So still, yeah, cross your fingers!

Oxford has more money, but it's a big name university so attracts more applicants (and significantly more internationals). It's a bit of a catch-22 really and often it can be easier to get funding from a smaller/less 'prestigious' uni, simply because there's less competition from ridiculously smart people.
    Oxbridge also have very specific bursaries, with nationality or subject requirement, on which competition must be much less significant.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by redferry)
    Yeah basically the way it worked was 15 students got a title, they got interviewed and of those 15 three got funded.

True, I only applied to NERC funding though, but there was similar odds at York (this was at Leeds) too. I was so painfully close too, ended up top of the reserves list. I got the PhD with the phenomenally better 36 out of 800 odds in the end.
    1 in 22 is still no walk in the park! Sounds more competitive than AHRC.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LouLou92)
    I know it is notoriously difficult to get funding at Master's level, particularly in the Arts & Humanities (I'm an Arts student). I got an email yesterday telling me I hadn't secured any funding and I'm just feeling a bit down about it. I wasn't expecting to get funding and I wasn't relying on it, but all the same rejection isn't nice!

I just don't know what I did wrong. I have a first in my undergrad degree, and I thought my application letter/proposal was pretty solid. I'd been led to believe (from my tutors at old uni) that if you had a first you stood a really good chance.

Anyone else in this position?
    Ah that sucks
    I had a similar experience last year. There were a "significant number" of scholarships available which covered almost half of my masters fees and they were based solely on academic merit. The description said that a high 2:1 or 1st would be sufficient. Given that at the time I had an average of ~77% and a few other nice things to mention I thought I had it in the bag. Turns out I missed out on both rounds of funding. I think I may have been disadvantaged because I was coming from another department in the same university and they 'look after their own' so to speak.

I'm currently trying to get phd funding and it looks like one of my options is to write my proposal, send it to the university who then may select it as one of their 8 guaranteed funding placements as provided by the funding council. I'd then have to apply for my own project (theoretically on a level playing field with anyone else interested) and then I might get selected to do the project I wrote. I may have to write my funding proposal to be so specific that only I could do it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Manitude)
    Ah that sucks
    I had a similar experience last year. There were a "significant number" of scholarships available which covered almost half of my masters fees and they were based solely on academic merit. The description said that a high 2:1 or 1st would be sufficient. Given that at the time I had an average of ~77% and a few other nice things to mention I thought I had it in the bag. Turns out I missed out on both rounds of funding. I think I may have been disadvantaged because I was coming from another department in the same university and they 'look after their own' so to speak.

I'm currently trying to get phd funding and it looks like one of my options is to write my proposal, send it to the university who then may select it as one of their 8 guaranteed funding placements as provided by the funding council. I'd then have to apply for my own project (theoretically on a level playing field with anyone else interested) and then I might get selected to do the project I wrote. I may have to write my funding proposal to be so specific that only I could do it
    Did you end up self-funding from savings or working part-time?

Ah wow, I'd love to do a phd ultimately. I hope it goes well for you! I'm sure I'll be back here in a few months complaining about the lack of phd funding haha
    Although I have been told by people in the department that it's easier to get PhD funding, so here's hoping!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by maskofsanity)
    1 in 22 is still no walk in the park! Sounds more competitive than AHRC.
    Yeah NERC funding has been slashed a lot over the past year and so so many people in the environmental field go onto postgrad. Not to mention they just reallocated a load of funds to their new oil and gas research group *sigh*

But I got the funding, so time to try and do something positive with it

ReputationRep:
    I got 12500 funding for my Literature MA. That is the fees plus maintenance.

I pretty much did all the research for my MA dissertation though so that I sounded convincing!
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LouLou92)
    Did you end up self-funding from savings or working part-time?

Ah wow, I'd love to do a phd ultimately. I hope it goes well for you! I'm sure I'll be back here in a few months complaining about the lack of phd funding haha
    Although I have been told by people in the department that it's easier to get PhD funding, so here's hoping!
    I mostly used savings plus my parents lent me some money that I have to pay back at some point (interest free).

Phds are pretty cool, you spend another 3-4 years doing something you really enjoy and you get paid to do it so you're almost a professional student.

Cheers - hope you manage to get some funding. You can get a career development loan, but they are not interest free so they really are your last resort.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.