The Student Room Group

Is beauty really that subjective?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by TheGameOfScience
what the hell are you on about!!! daisychain_ basically asked me what does it mean to have a symmetrical face, so i was explaining what facial symmetry is! and i am saying near symmetrical face which means not perfectly symmetrical!! would you date a guy who had one eye lower than the other and chipped eyebrows!!! ALSO i was saying that models have near symmetrical faces as an example of the people who do have symmetrical faces. I am saying that symmetry is an attractive trait and more often than not people do like other people with facial symmetry, but really its a subconscious thing, i mean you wouldn't look for facial symmetry and notice it, its just subconscious, like limbal rings. I never said she was perfect, i said she has a symmetrical face, i also see your quote of:

Idk anyone who doesn't find Johnny Depp strangely and effortless handsome.

this is johnny depp and you find him handsome now look at his facial symmetry and you will see he has NEAR PERFECT features. Now do you see why symmetry is an attractive trait.

Oh God whatever, hello Johnny :flutter:
Whilst a large part of beauty is undeniably subjective, there are many features and ideals of beauty that many people will agree upon. Of course, these ideals vary from time period to time period and from country to country.

For example, in medieval Europe the standard of beauty for both men and women was to be very light skinned, blonde and blue eyed. Whereas nowadays we've all heard about the ideal man being tall and dark and very pale skin as being unattractive.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by TheGameOfScience
It means that all your facial features are aligned perfectly or near perfectly like your eyes on same plane and your eyebrows on same plane and your features look the same e.g- both your eyebrows look the same, instead of one eyebrow being chipped in comparison to the other and all of your features suit your face, like not an overly big nose in comparison to the eyes, mouth and eyebrows etc, also the edges of your lips should be directly vertical to your pupils, basically as someone has probably already said in this thread, the golden ratio, also search up the girl with the most symmetrical face and other models, you will see that they have near perfect symmetrical faces, or look at all the faces of the famous or non-famous guys you like and you will see that most have a near symmetrical face.

That girl with the most symmetrical is extremely average looking imo (but beauty is subjective afterall). Lana del ray has an asymmetrical face- her eyes aren't on the same plane and she's still seen as an attractive person.
Reply 43
Original post by LilyLouise2
She's clearly not a 'plain Jane' though- she's very pretty!! I don't think her hair colour matters... Whatever hair colour she is undeniably pretty!

See, I don't think she's pretty. I think she's average looking and that's just my opinion, the makeup helps her look better, without it she's probably below average.
Original post by That_Hijabi
​For example, is there a person on earth who the whole world can agree is very attractive? Or is the level of someone's attractiveness something that's controversial

Beauty is inherently subjective, but subjectivity doesn't rule out consensus.
Original post by saarah_
See, I don't think she's pretty. I think she's average looking and that's just my opinion, the makeup helps her look better, without it she's probably below average.

Seriously? Okay, I guess opinion of beauty really do differ! I think she's pretty. To me it didn't even look like she was wearing that much make up- haha. I don't think she can be seen as 'below average' though- to me below average people do not look like she does!
Reply 46
Original post by LilyLouise2
Seriously? Okay, I guess opinion of beauty really do differ! I think she's pretty. To me it didn't even look like she was wearing that much make up- haha. I don't think she can be seen as 'below average' though- to me below average people do not look like she does!

Our little discussion proves that beauty is subjective, while someone like Beyonce is considered beautiful by a large number of people, not everyone on this planet finds her attractive.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, have you ever seen a 'hot guy' with an 'ugly' girl and thought to yourself, what the **** does he see in her? He sees a beautiful girl whereas you see a very lucky ugly duckling.
Original post by Maharaniii
Oh God whatever, hello Johnny :flutter:

:lol:
Original post by saarah_
Our little discussion proves that beauty is subjective, while someone like Beyonce is considered beautiful by a large number of people, not everyone on this planet finds her attractive.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, have you ever seen a 'hot guy' with an 'ugly' girl and thought to yourself, what the **** does he see in her? He sees a beautiful girl whereas you see a very lucky ugly duckling.

But you indeed actually see your own insecurities being projected in your conscience.
Just imposes the shallow minded judgement of unhappy people
Some see average as being mildly ugly
You get people who are beautifully average that have common humble traits that wouldn't stand out in a room full if beautiful people
And then you get people who break the standards,who are wierdly attractive and have what others see as imperfections but it just give them more character.
Original post by saarah_

It really is, although I think generally people agree- MOST people agree Beyoncé is beautiful. Of course though, everyone will have different opinions :biggrin:

Well I guess I kinda assume personality is more important :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest