Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

A Level History or English Literature? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jooooshy)
    I found the timing was okay. The skill is to identify when you're writing rubbish that isn't picking you up any marks.. Which is mostly when you write a full page about context (i.e. re-telling the story of the poem, like the examiner doesn't already know).

A good exercise it to read back your essay with assessment objectives in mind, then cross out all sentences which don't meet the objectives, being hyper-critical of yourself. What your left with is all that would have gotten you your marks in the exam. What you crossed out is time you would have wasted!
    Ah right okay! Thanks for the advice, I'll definitely keep it in mind when I start studying Lit

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CescaD96)
    For CCEA English Lit, at AS, what novel and plays did you do? Seems you really enjoyed it, but I hated the "creative" section of the coursework!
    We did The Great Gatsby, and for the plays we studied for the coursework, we did A Streetcar Named Desire (which is like, the greatest play ever haha) and The Glass Menagerie . I loved all of those! I actually really liked doing the creative section, though the Head English teacher at my school personally marked my work, and it didn't score as well as other people in my class whose work wasn't marked by him

What novel and plays did you study?
    • TSR Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CeeJay96)
    We did The Great Gatsby, and for the plays we studied for the coursework, we did A Streetcar Named Desire (which is like, the greatest play ever haha) and The Glass Menagerie . I loved all of those! I actually really liked doing the creative section, though the Head English teacher at my school personally marked my work, and it didn't score as well as other people in my class whose work wasn't marked by him

What novel and plays did you study?
    I did exactly the same! I hated the creative work because in the end we couldn't be creative as CCEA really hated my school last year and lowered everyone down a grade boundary because the links between ASND and TGM weren't "explicit", according to them, so I hated my work. Didn't mind my Shakespeare coursework as it was As You Like It.

ReputationRep:
    I did exactly the same! I hated the creative work because in the end we couldn't be creative as CCEA really hated my school last year and lowered everyone down a grade boundary because the links between ASND and TGM weren't "explicit", according to them, so I hated my work. Didn't mind my Shakespeare coursework as it was As You Like It.
    That's so strange. We didn't seem to be penalised for being really creative, they must have hated your school

I'd like to have done As You Like It. We did Antony and Cleopatra and to be honest, its probably my least favourite piece of Shakespeare that I've studied (and I've studied quite a lot of it, having done both English Lit and Drama up to A2).
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    That's so strange. We didn't seem to be penalised for being really creative, they must have hated your school

I'd like to have done As You Like It. We did Antony and Cleopatra and to be honest, its probably my least favourite piece of Shakespeare that I've studied (and I've studied quite a lot of it, having done both English Lit and Drama up to A2).
    As You Like It was great. It's one of the easier plays. My teacher wanted to do Anthony and Cleopatra but he found the question area a bit ugh.

ReputationRep:
    As You Like It was great. It's one of the easier plays. My teacher wanted to do Anthony and Cleopatra but he found the question area a bit ugh.
    I'm so jealous

ReputationRep:
    A-level English Literature I think is the best A-level I took and the one I was very doubtful to choose at the start of Year 12. Definitely a breather from Maths.😊

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    I'm so jealous
    You should be. It was the easiest coursework ever

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Madmatician)
    I do enjoy reading, one of the main reasons I'm considering Lit!

If you don't mind my asking, what topics did you study for History?
    The topics I did for AS History were 'The Experience of Warfare in Britain 1854-1929' and then 'From Autocracy to Communism Russia: 1894-1941'.

I genuinely thought I'd never learn the whole of the communist topic because our revision guide was soooo long with so many chapters and so many dates and people to know... But turns out I did better in that exam despite having enjoyed the Britain one more!

I'm not sure if those will be the same topics you would study? But those are the ones I did

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.