Underrated films Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Democracy)
    Dirty Pretty Things.
    Yes. This was a brilliant film.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by VladThe1mpaler)
    Yes. This was a brilliant film.
    If you liked it you should definitely watch Eastern Promises - it's in a similar setting and shares common themes i.e. organised crime exploiting "illegal" immigrants in London, the dark underbelly of the city, etc - amazing acting from Viggo Mortensen in particular too.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Democracy)
    If you liked it you should definitely watch Eastern Promises - it's in a similar setting and shares common themes i.e. organised crime exploiting "illegal" immigrants in London, the dark underbelly of the city, etc - amazing acting from Viggo Mortensen in particular too.
    Sounds good, I'll give it a go.

ReputationRep:
    Elysium and Hanna

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by malena123)
    Name films that you think don't get as much appreciation as you think they should.

There are so many for me but some I can remember off the top of my head right now are:

Half Nelson
    It's Kind of a Funny Story
    Disconnect
    Mean Creek
    Blue Valentine
    Chronicle

There are probably more but I can't remember.
    I am obsessed with Mean Creek. I love it and have probably seen it fully more than 15 times. I love all the actors and the music and it's just so perfect. And I have made all my friends watch it almost.

ReputationRep:
    The Great Gatsby - for some odd reason, even though it was a Leonardo DiCaprio movie many people avoided watching it or gave it a hard time for many silly reason, for example they didn't like the characters (no surprise, who would like Daisy and Tom Buchanan) and one reviewer even noted Leonardo looked to fat to play the role, which to me was outrageous.
    It's an amazing movie, visually beautiful and great story with brilliant acting.

Blood Diamond - this is more or less unseen which could also translate as under appreciated, brilliant story and really shines a light on the diamond Industry, once again Leonardo Dicaprio shows why he is one of the best actors in the world, with his surprisingly amazing South African accent. Must watch.

50/50 - I have never heard anyone speak of this movie and for some odd reason it pulled a heart string and nearly made me cry even though its a comedy, I must of been in a down mood aha, anyway, brilliant movie about a man with cancer and only has a 50% chance of survival.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by silent ninja)
    These aren't underrated though

A Simple Plan
    It came out around the time of Fargo and the setting is certainly similar. It doesn't have the black comedy, but dare I say this was a better movie? Money corrupts! Billy Bob Thornton is ****ing amazing

Kickass
    Okay it's not underrated in the general sense, but it's underrated as a superhero movie. Forget Marvel and DC, this is THE best comic book movie to date. So underrated in this genre.

Seven Psychopaths
    One of the finest movies in years. It ticks every box for me. I think you have to understand the references and black humour to enjoy this. Sam Rockwell is so brilliant at this type of character -- very underrated. 10/10 but barely made a blip in the mainstream

Man from Nowhere
    This is better than Taken IMO

The Chaser
    Possibly a masterpiece. The direction is so skillful. Very very memorable. My favourite Korean movie, so much better than Oldboy

The Assassination of Jesse James'
    One of the greatest Westerns ever and it barely got a look in at the box office. There Will Be Blood got the plaudits this year but this was the better movie IMO. It's hypnotic

Gattaca
    In my opinion one of the best scifi dramas ever. Best film of the 90's. It completely flopped. It still ranks high with me. Jude Law and Ethan Hawke are great, and this world isn't too far from ours

Grave of the Fireflies
    This is story telling simplicity and genius, but it gets overlooked for being an anime. If this movie doesn't affect you, you're not human
    Ah yes, Seven Psychopaths was one of those films I really didn't think I'd like but when watched it I really enjoyed it.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BradleyLawrence)
    50/50 - I have never heard anyone speak of this movie and for some odd reason it pulled a heart string and nearly made me cry even though its a comedy, I must of been in a down mood aha, anyway, brilliant movie about a man with cancer and only has a 50% chance of survival.
    Great film.

ReputationRep:
    Any Richard Linklater film, e.g.:

- Dazed and Confused
    - Before Sunrise/Sunset/Midnight
    - A Scanner Darkly
    - Waking Life
    - Boyhood isn't getting as much mainstream attention as it should (but then again I guess that's what Linklater was going for)

There are other films I love like Love Exposure and Fallen Angles that don't get much attention, but they're more under-watched.

ReputationRep:
    In my opinion, I think The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus should get more praise. It's such a magical film, yet people always look at me puzzled when I mention it. It was Heath Ledger's last role and it's such a great film.

ReputationRep:
    The Last Detail
    The 'Burbs - that is one of the most funny films I've ever seen!

ReputationRep:
    The Social Network.

Amazing film, never understood it when I watched it the first time.

After watching it more times - it has convinced me to get into Harvard.

Film is an exaggeration perhaps but I doubt it is far from rl.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kenan and Kel)

AMAZING FILM! I love the guitar riff in the theme aswell!

• TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Homeward Bound!

The sequel is ok but the first movie is absolutely amazing.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    The Animal

ReputationRep:

I found this to be a really good film.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.