Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by andyt8765)
    Sorry guys but you have to declare all your AS level results on your UCAS application, even if it's a B (gasp! But really guys a B is fine). About working your resits into your personal statement; I'd advise against it. Make sure your tutor/subject-teachers are aware of your resits and if you or they feel it is necessary then they will write it into the references they provide for your application. It's better that you focus on the content of the subject and the skills it has provided rather than the resits in your personal statement.

Also, you'll declare that you're resitting on your UCAS application so the admissions staff will be aware without looking at your references.

Don't worry too about it bringing down your application. It barely will. Unis know that a lot of students don't try as well as they should've for their AS year and you will still be able to get offers even with AS levels that aren't as high as you'd like, as long as they're aware you're resitting and your predicted grades are similar to the grades they're asking for.

I applied to York for chemistry last year with AABB in chemistry, computing, maths and psychology, respectively. Although my B wasn't in the subject I wanted to study, I'll still had a B in maths, and maths is very important in the physical sciences. I declared all my AS levels, declared that I was resitting AS maths, was predicted an A in AS maths and in A2 maths and was made an offer of AAA. I had many friends who had done much worse at AS and still made offers at a variety of institutions.

Also, CescaD96; if you're only 4 UMS off an A I doubt you'd need to resit all of AS, probably just the unit you did the weakest in. If you're going for an A*, then you only need 80% overall and 90% in just your A2 modules.

Seriously, it's only a B, you'll both be absolutely fine.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Ahh, I didn't realise there was a separate place to mention resits on the UCAS form, thank you for letting me know! So I focus on my interest and experiences in the subject in the personal statement and leave all the gradey stuff for the rest of the form, that makes more sense now. I feel a bit better thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    You're trying to sell yourself in your PS, talk about what you can bring to the University both inside and outside the lecture.

Maybe add some light humour/play on words, I applied for the finance courses and finished with the line "In Accountancy terms, think of me as an asset, not a liability". You can imagine the admissions going through hundreds, it won't hurt to make your application more interesting and distinctive.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pwoperChloe)
    Ahh, I didn't realise there was a separate place to mention resits on the UCAS form, thank you for letting me know! So I focus on my interest and experiences in the subject in the personal statement and leave all the gradey stuff for the rest of the form, that makes more sense now. I feel a bit better thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yeah it's not exactly separate but like you just put it in as another pending qualification. Yep exactly, that's what's gonna sell you to the uni, not the resits! No problem, glad to help!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by between7and8)
    Hi fellow Philosophy applicant! I'm applying for Maths & Philosophy
    woo hopefully we will get offers! i really loved the city of York when i looked around, thought it was beautiful.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    I can't decided now if I want to able for both History, and History and Politics, or just History. I've decided not to look at Archaeology anymore

ReputationRep:
    Wooo fellow biochem applicant haha! The year in Europe sounds brilliant, I've been considering that so did you go to the open day in July as well? It was so lovely :awesome:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah I did, went with my boyfriend and we both loved it :love:

ReputationRep:
    Also, does anyone know if there's a rough time when York start sending out offers for Humanities subjects? I'm going travelling in January - is it likely I would've heard by then?
    • TSR Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by twelfthnight)
    Hi!
    Has you gone to visit York?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mnina19)
    Also, does anyone know if there's a rough time when York start sending out offers for Humanities subjects? I'm going travelling in January - is it likely I would've heard by then?
    Depends on when you apply and the department. For chemistry, I got invited for an interview day in less than 24 hours after applying (in which they said I'm guaranteed an offer if I attend). I'm sure they'd have some kind of university wide policy on sending out offers so if you're applying before December or so I'd imagine you'd receive an offer by January.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CescaD96)
    Has you gone to visit York?
    Yeah! I really liked it - apparently the history department's very good you?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by clarke200)
    Posted from TSR Mobile
    yeah york is a brillant place I have chose it becauase I didnt want to go to a place that was soley focused on nightlife york is full of thigs to do in the day as well :yes:
    Haha cool, things to do in the uni or in the city?

And do you know how far out of the city the uni is? If you have to take a bus, or if its walkable, or right in the city?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Brodderz)
    You're trying to sell yourself in your PS, talk about what you can bring to the University both inside and outside the lecture.

Maybe add some light humour/play on words, I applied for the finance courses and finished with the line "In Accountancy terms, think of me as an asset, not a liability". You can imagine the admissions going through hundreds, it won't hurt to make your application more interesting and distinctive.
    Hahaha that's a brilliant one I'm a fan of puns, but I'll need to be careful not to make the admissions tutor hate me! Might go overboard :erm: but yeah I'll try to think of ways to grab their attention, thankyou! ahh all this application stuff makes me ridiculously nervous

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by friendsfan08)

And do you know how far out of the city the uni is? If you have to take a bus, or if its walkable, or right in the city?
    I'm pretty sure there's lots of buses that go from various points in the city to the campus It's definitely not right in the city, about a good mile or so away, although I can't remember exactly because on the open day I went on one of the shuttle buses from the airfield rather than one from the city centre!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Hahaha that's a brilliant one I'm a fan of puns, but I'll need to be careful not to make the admissions tutor hate me! Might go overboard :erm: but yeah I'll try to think of ways to grab their attention, thankyou! ahh all this application stuff makes me ridiculously nervous

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Don't be nervous about it, you'll find when it's all over it was actually quite exciting waiting to find out if you've been accepted or not!

Best move would be to start drafting now before going back to college, that way your teachers will dedicate more time to you than everyone else, make sure you check ALL the Universities for ALL of their courses, because I found sometimes they add what you want to do with other degrees which actually might turn out to be better! Liverpool had Law with Finance which for me was not only better in terms of grades (ABB) but it also sounded a bit more interesting for what I wanted to do!

Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    Hello

I'm applying to York for Politics with International Relations! I'd be so happy to get an offer from York, it looks like such a beautiful city and I love the campus architecture. I'll be visiting next month to see it in person and I'm very excited.

I got ABBC (and an A in general studies but it's excluded in the entry requirements). Sadly, I was also expecting an A in Geography but messed up one of the units. I'll be retaking it next summer and I hope to come out with AAB (which is the typical offer for my course).

These next few months are going to be so nerve-wrecking!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by friendsfan08)

Current student here (messing around on the internet when he should be doing his dissertation!). There are two buses that go straight into the city for £2 all day return, and they run to both campuses from early in the morning until quite late at night every 15 minutes or so. There are easy walking routes both to the city centre and to the main hubs of off campus accommodation; it takes about 25 - 30 minutes to walk to the centre for most people. A bus is also available to Leeds though it doesn't run very often.

In the day most people either walk or bus to town (I always walked from campus). For nights out, most people prefer taxis, as each college has a taxi pick-up point.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pg625)
    Current student here (messing around on the internet when he should be doing his dissertation!). There are two buses that go straight into the city for £2 all day return, and they run to both campuses from early in the morning until quite late at night every 15 minutes or so. There are easy walking routes both to the city centre and to the main hubs of off campus accommodation; it takes about 25 - 30 minutes to walk to the centre for most people. A bus is also available to Leeds though it doesn't run very often.

In the day most people either walk or bus to town (I always walked from campus). For nights out, most people prefer taxis, as each college has a taxi pick-up point.
    Thanks! That was really helpful!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mnina19)
    woo hopefully we will get offers! i really loved the city of York when i looked around, thought it was beautiful.
    It's a really beautiful city *crosses fingers*

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by between7and8)
    It's a really beautiful city *crosses fingers*
    Oh the city was gorgeous! I totally fell in love with the campus and the course when I went to the open day :moon:

ReputationRep:
    Can I get into York for mechanical engineering with these AS grades?
    Maths A
    Phyiscs A
    Biology B
    Chemistry C

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.