Owners of The Student Room Watch

• View Poll Results: I would like to know more about the TSR leadership.
    I would! I really would!
    62.50%
    No I don't care in the slightest.
    37.50%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thunder_chunky)
    TSR is owned by giant lizards.
    I adore lizards. So good.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Motorbiker)
    We don't have the *****y-ness and backstabbing of the facebook movie to make it good though.

There are 1 or 2 weirder moments in TSR's history but nothing as good as facebook.
    So the founder of TSR didn't steal most of his ideas and wasn't horrible to women and his best mates along the way?

It's a digital tycoon first. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Given the increasing prevalance of sponsored "articles", I'd imagine they were very efficient profit maximisers.

ReputationRep:
    They are fleeting shadows

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by College_Dropout)
    I would have to post a letter direct to the CEO's house address.

Just had a quick chat with him and he's seen this thread. :fyi:

He said he may even drop in later and reply if he has time.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thunder_chunky)
    TSR is owned by giant lizards.
    How is that supposed to be funny?

It is an interesting social phenomenon that people with high reputation, subscribers, and moderators get more thumbs up whatever they say. I have been noticing it for quite some time on here but it is still posts like yours with three thumbs up that never fail to amaze me. People are so subservient and desperate to catch your attention and get some points in return, or whatever, that you can write genuinely silly things and get away with it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Life_peer)
    How is that supposed to be funny?

It is an interesting social phenomenon that people with high reputation, subscribers, and moderators get more thumbs up whatever they say. I have been noticing it for quite some time on here but it is still posts like yours with three thumbs up that never fail to amaze me. People are so subservient and desperate to catch your attention and get some points in return, or whatever, that you can write genuinely silly things and get away with it.
    Not sure if you're just unaware but the giant lizard theory is a David Icke theory about the royal family etc so it IS funny.

People with higher rep tend to get more thumbs up because that's how they get high rep.

ReputationRep:
    Not sure if you're just unaware but the giant lizard theory is a David Icke theory about the royal family etc so it IS funny.

People with higher rep tend to get more thumbs up because that's how they get high rep.
    Well, it is not funny to me. It is silly making fun of a possibly mentally ill person and his ‘theories’. I thought TSR was advocating respect for other people and condemning even trace amounts of rudeness.

As to the latter, let me give you an example: There are two persons, one of them is an A-list celebrity, the other is an average Joe. While the first one is paid good money for drinking a specific brand of bottled water, the other buys the same kind of bottled water despite being able to drink much cheaper tap water of the same quality, only because he worships the celebrity, yet no one cares what he drinks.

Similarly, once a person becomes famous on TSR (joins the upper ranks in terms of reputation, moderatorship, subscription), he becomes the A-list celebrity from the example. Regardless of what he writes, the peasants adore him even though there is a huge load of much more interesting, funny, thoughtful, intellectual, etc. posts just round the corner.

ReputationRep:
    Well, it is not funny to me. It is silly making fun of a possibly mentally ill person and his ‘theories’. I thought TSR was advocating respect for other people and condemning even trace amounts of rudeness.

As to the latter, let me give you an example: There are two persons, one of them is an A-list celebrity, the other is an average Joe. While the first one is paid good money for drinking a specific brand of bottled water, the other buys the same kind of bottled water despite being able to drink much cheaper tap water of the same quality, only because he worships the celebrity, yet no one cares what he drinks.

Similarly, once a person becomes famous on TSR (joins the upper ranks in terms of reputation, moderatorship, subscription), he becomes the A-list celebrity from the example. Regardless of what he writes, the peasants adore him even though there is a huge load of much more interesting, funny, thoughtful, intellectual, etc. posts just round the corner.

He wasn't making fun of anyone, he was just referencing the David Icke theory.

I know what you're trying to say but i think you're wrong.

People get high rep by getting thumbs up so to get high rep you must get lots of thumbs up. Therefore members that get high rep are the type of member that are likely to get thumbs up.

Moderators are usually very awesome helpful members of community so they get thumbs up for the same reason.

I'd say a small amount of the subs are "Returning rep" which is what they can do as they can see who repped them so can reply with rep. But that's normally a small %(probably about 5% of received rep when i was a sub anyway).

ReputationRep:
    He wasn't making fun of anyone, he was just referencing the David Icke theory.

I know what you're trying to say but i think you're wrong.

People get high rep by getting thumbs up so to get high rep you must get lots of thumbs up. Therefore members that get high rep are the type of member that are likely to get thumbs up.

Moderators are usually very awesome helpful members of community so they get thumbs up for the same reason.

I'd say a small amount of the subs are "Returning rep" which is what they can do as they can see who repped them so can reply with rep. But that's normally a small %(probably about 5% of received rep when i was a sub anyway).
    Well, the theory in question which you said was funny is a product of David Icke's lunacy (most probably a mental disorder, because no one sane would willingly pull a publicity stunt like that). Analogically, if a physically disabled child lost his balance and fell in a funny way (in a way that is generally considered funny as heck), could you be laughing at the incident without ridiculing the child? I do not think so and I assure you that the average culture-obedient people around would not either.

You are not going to convince me with made up percentages nor anecdotal evidence. What I wrote was basic social psychology so admittedly it is surprising that it surprises me. I think the emotion I was looking for was bewilderment.

I might be able to either find some papers concerning the topic or do some research myself in the future. Until then, we can agree to disagree. :yy: I did not mean to make a fuss about it.

ReputationRep:
    I might be able to either find some papers concerning the topic or do some research myself in the future. Until then, we can agree to disagree. :yy: I did not mean to make a fuss about it.

There's actually a paper written on TSR's reputation system out there somewhere.

I can't remember who wrote it and if it was published. It may have been a Masters/Doctoral dissertation.

ReputationRep:
    There's actually a paper written on TSR's reputation system out there somewhere.

I can't remember who wrote it and if it was published. It may have been a Masters/Doctoral dissertation.
    Oh, yes! I remember participating in a survey which I believe was related. I shall definitely have a look around.
    • TSR Group Staff

ReputationRep:
    Hey Noobyno. Fake smile?! Ok maybe I should get a new one done. I'm just glad you did not put up the horrific picture of me waving at the camera on www.tsrmatters.com simply awful!

Thanks for starting the thread here. We'd be really happy to answer more of your questions on both the management team and the wider team here at TSR. Perhaps some kind of Q&A could be fun if there is interest? We have grown quite a bit in the last few years and are now up to 53 people based here at our new Brighton offices. Have a look round the office - http://tsrmatters.com/find-out-about-us/tsr-hq/

Unfortunately despite the fake grin I am not a mutimillionaire I joined the TSR team 2 years ago as CEO to help continue to grow our community along with developing and further integrating our social learning sites MarkedbyTeachers and GetRevising sites. Prior to that I spent 10 years working in and around Travel and Technology, which was a lot of fun. Although I have to say (literally) that I am having a huge amount of fun working with everybody here at The Student Room. Great group of people that have a real passion for what they do.

The office here in Brighton was designed for everyone. Our TSR community are welcome here any time. If any of you happen to be passing through Brighton, come and see us for a coffee at the TSR bar. We are super easy to find being right next to the train station. If there is interest in us answering any questions (even the tough ones!), I will get on to the community team to help set something up for us.

Also I'd love to hear any feedback from you around what more we could be doing to continue to improve things. Let me know and enjoy the sunshine.

Thanks again.

(Original post by noobynoo)
    This is a TSR eating itself thread! Would you like to know more about the owners of the student room. i.e. the people in charge of this website?

Like Facebook everyone knows all about Mark Zuckerberg.

But does anyone know about TSR Chief Executive Officer, Jason Geall, along with his leadership team, Jo Redfern(Chief Commercial Officer and former UCAS Commercial Director), Pete Barnes (Chief Operating Officer and Chief Finance Officer), Pete Kelly (Chief Technical Officer), Tom Corfield (Chief Learning Officer, former PWC management consultant & entrepreneur). (from Wikipedia)

Interesting they are all men, incidentally... unless Jo is short for Josaphine (which apparently it is).

Would you like to see what they look like? What their politics are? Why their policies say certain posts are banned and certain posts are allowed hence setting the agenda of TSR?

Or do you not really care.

Poll!

(I wonder if they will allow this thread or they will supress freedom of speach?)

For starters here is the CEO:

edit: I've just found a link to more about the team here:

http://tsrmatters.com/find-out-about-us/meet-the-team/

Why do all CEOs have such fake smiles? Maybe because they're stinking rich! First thing I'd like to know is "What is your net worth?" I reckon 100 million pounds.

Age 38: from here Office in Brighton, UK. I didn't know that!
    • TSR Group Staff

ReputationRep:
    All in order Just had an audit! All good. Thanks Redferry. Hope you're doing well.
    (Original post by redferry)
    I'd like to know if their taxes are all in order

Any virgin islands accounts...?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by redferry)
    I'd like to know if their taxes are all in order

Any virgin islands accounts...?
    This would be useful to know.

More worrying (to me) is that one of the owners is listed on Wikipedia as Charles Delingpole. Any relation to leading climate change denier James "not a scientist but still willing to gob on endlessly about it" Delingpole? :eek:

ReputationRep:
    Comparing tsr to facebook lol.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JasonGeall)
    Hey Noobyno. Fake smile?! Ok maybe I should get a new one done. I'm just glad you did not put up the horrific picture of me waving at the camera on www.tsrmatters.com simply awful!

Thanks for starting the thread here. We'd be really happy to answer more of your questions on both the management team and the wider team here at TSR. Perhaps some kind of Q&A could be fun if there is interest? We have grown quite a bit in the last few years and are now up to 53 people based here at our new Brighton offices. Have a look round the office - http://tsrmatters.com/find-out-about-us/tsr-hq/

Unfortunately despite the fake grin I am not a mutimillionaire I joined the TSR team 2 years ago as CEO to help continue to grow our community along with developing and further integrating our social learning sites MarkedbyTeachers and GetRevising sites. Prior to that I spent 10 years working in and around Travel and Technology, which was a lot of fun. Although I have to say (literally) that I am having a huge amount of fun working with everybody here at The Student Room. Great group of people that have a real passion for what they do.

The office here in Brighton was designed for everyone. Our TSR community are welcome here any time. If any of you happen to be passing through Brighton, come and see us for a coffee at the TSR bar. We are super easy to find being right next to the train station. If there is interest in us answering any questions (even the tough ones!), I will get on to the community team to help set something up for us.

Also I'd love to hear any feedback from you around what more we could be doing to continue to improve things. Let me know and enjoy the sunshine.

Thanks again.
    There are 53 employees? Seriously?! I think I've been puzzled before about what they all do. Shame none of them participate in moderation, as it is often very slow and I am not in any way putting down the often harassed volunteers when I say that.

You must be one of the biggest consumer website operations in the country, are you? Are there many others with that many staff?

ReputationRep:
    Totally don't care.

I bet their office has bean bag chairs and cake and those Nespresso machines.
    If I'm invited over for free coffee, cupcakes and stroking a huge furry wall I would care more
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lamptastic)
    Totally don't care.

I bet their office has bean bag chairs and cake and those Nespresso machines.
    If I'm invited over for free coffee, cupcakes and stroking a huge furry wall I would care more
    It has an air hockey table, a pier, park bench and a bar. You can take a tour of it on Google maps

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stiff Little Fingers)
    It has an air hockey table, a pier, park bench and a bar. You can take a tour of it on Google maps

Posted from TSR Mobile
    That will have to do. Throw a beer in and I'm there. I'll bring cake, shed loads of shed shaped cake.

Brighton is lovely

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.