Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Opposition & Coalition forums Watch

• View Poll Results: If we were to change something brought up in this topic, what should we do?
    Remove the Opposition and Coalition forums
    24.00%
    Stop the bill/motion challenge
    32.00%
    Stop the MP review
    32.00%
    --------On a trial basis for next term
    32.00%
    --------Permanently
    16.00%
    Limit the forum/s to a few standard policy, bills & stickied threads
    8.00%
    Maintain the status quo
    48.00%

• Community Assistant
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Political Ambassador
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Voted, but I would like to see the Bill/ Motion challenge gone for good.

ReputationRep:
    Ah god how not impartial is that poll. Can the speaker or a mod add another option "Status Quo" to the poll please?? And can someone quote one of them I'm not sure who is either these days!
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Indievertigo)
    Ah god how not impartial is that poll. Can the speaker or a mod add another option "Status Quo" to the poll please?? And can someone quote one of them I'm not sure who is either these days!
    (Original post by Jarred)
    (Original post by Faland)
    There you go.

I don't think the MP Review should be stopped but I do think it should be more focused on debate rather than bill/motion quantity, I don't care whether forums are closed or not.

ReputationRep:
      Wait a second!

Why is there no NO option on this?

Also the MP review is useful for the party leadership to see how others have voted and turn out as well a taking out useless MP's. Furthermore the Bill and Motion challenge should remain but if you are so against i rename it the count rather than challenge but I rather like it.

In terms of subforums, perhaps limit them to one thread for policy ideas and sharing bills as well as a stickey for cabinet positions and whips.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Will95206)
      Wait a second!

Why is there no NO option on this?

Also the MP review is useful for the party leadership to see how others have voted and turn out as well a taking out useless MP's. Furthermore the Bill and Motion challenge should remain but if you are so against i rename it the count rather than challenge but I rather like it.

In terms of subforums, perhaps limit them to one thread for policy ideas and sharing bills as well as a stickey for cabinet positions and whips.
      This is politics, there are no relations to morals and those in power can abuse that. Hence no No option on the vote.

Lol no, I just realised and didn't realise at the time I put the poll up - look above, I have asked for a status quo option to be added. It shouldn't skew anything as those that are opposed can't vote by mistake on anything.

I like the idea for limiting the sub forums to just specific threads, that would be a good in between ground between flat out abolishing and keeping as is.

Could that be added as another option to the poll please? "Limit the forum/s to a few standard policy, bills & stickeyed threads"
      (Original post by Jarred)
      x
      Thanks

ReputationRep:
      This is politics, there are no relations to morals and those in power can abuse that. Hence no No option on the vote.

Lol no, I just realised and didn't realise at the time I put the poll up - look above, I have asked for a status quo option to be added. It shouldn't skew anything as those that are opposed can't vote by mistake on anything.

I like the idea for limiting the sub forums to just specific threads, that would be a good in between ground between flat out abolishing and keeping as is.

Could that be added as another option to the poll please? "Limit the forum/s to a few standard policy, bills & stickeyed threads"

Thanks
      Ah thanks, while agree with all of your argument about inactivity with the party one just 2 threads per govt and one for the Oppo perhaps or just 2 each, one for Bills/legislation and one whips and positions/posts would eliminate the activity being diluted with govt/oppo chat threads and pointless pages for department (except for the treasury)

ReputationRep:
      I suppose I would say what's the difference you see between the two forums?
      Well, the government - in theory, at least - should be leading the way in legislation and have an all-round vision. Whereas the opposition doesn't need this as such.

Also, this is an incredibly flawed poll - there's no option for the status quo.

ReputationRep:
      The poll is ridiculous because it will be exactly those unable to fill the seats, regularly missing votes, etc. who will be in support of at least two thirds of the options.

I am indifferent to the question of coalition/opposition fora – I used to just ignore them but now I think they increase the effectiveness of our communication. I think you are trying to reform things that work alright, nevertheless I would be willing to try it for a single term.
      • Community Assistant
      • Wiki Support Team
      • Political Ambassador
      • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:

Thanks
      I've added that as an option for you.

I've also added the status quo option for you as well.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Blue Meltwater)
      Well, the government - in theory, at least - should be leading the way in legislation and have an all-round vision. Whereas the opposition doesn't need this as such.

Also, this is an incredibly flawed poll - there's no option for the status quo.
      Yeah as above I realised that after I'd posted it, so there will be a status quo option appearing at some point once a mod adds it, as well as Will's suggestion of limiting the forum to just a few specific threads.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Life_peer)
      The poll is ridiculous because it will be exactly those unable to fill the seats, regularly missing votes, etc. who will be in support of at least two thirds of the options.

I am indifferent to the question of coalition/opposition fora – I used to just ignore them but now I think they increase the effectiveness of our communication. I think you are trying to reform things that work alright, nevertheless I would be willing to try it for a single term.
      Your vote suggests otherwise?

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by toronto353)
      I've added that as an option for you.

I've also added the status quo option for you as well.
      Thanks

ReputationRep:
      Yeah as above I realised that after I'd posted it, so there will be a status quo option appearing at some point once a mod adds it, as well as Will's suggestion of limiting the forum to just a few specific threads.
      Ah, ok. That's an idea I'd perhaps be willing to try, though I still don't see a pressing need for it.

ReputationRep:
      Your vote suggests otherwise?
      Well, the willingness to support something does not mean I already support it, does it? I prefer the current state of things in regard to each of the first three options. The collaboration with coalition partners is more effective and does not require the leadership to act as messengers.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Life_peer)
      Well, the willingness to support something does not mean I already support it, does it? I prefer the current state of things in regard to each of the first three options. The collaboration with coalition partners is more effective and does not require the leadership to act as messengers.
      Aaah Ok well if you were wanting a bribe you should have just said!
      • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
      Not exactly the status-quo but nothing like those options either.

Also LP is exactly right that those in failing parties will in their self interest vote to curtail anything that damages them or their reputation. Albeit the MP review would require repeal by amendment anyway I think so could be stopped.

ReputationRep:
      Aaah Ok well if you were wanting a bribe you should have just said!
      I will keep that in mind next time. :laugh:

ReputationRep:
      Scrap the MP review and scrap/mixup the bill challenge. Also as O113 said 'I'd support the prohibition of opposition coalitions. The Official Opposition should be the biggest party not in government.'
      • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
      The idea of Cabinet/Shadow Cabinet sub-fora instead of Gov/Opp sub-fora is intriguing. Ministers do tend to be the most vocal members of their respective parties however they can also (perhaps) be trusted to carry their debates onto their respective party forums.

I wholly agree that we should strengthen the identities of our parties. It'd lead to a more meaningful, multi-faceted debate than simply left and right raging against each other. I also don't think dissolving the fora would be so detrimental for our coalition anyway.

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 15, 2014
  1. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

2. Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  3. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

4. The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.