Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    This will never be settled. There will be people who did A levels who will always argue that they are harder. There will be people who took BTECs who will always try to defend them. I just can't fathom how anyone can possibly compare coursework, that you can work on over time, adjust and improve, take ideas and inspiration from other people and the internet and adapt your work accordingly, to the knowledge required for an exam and the hand crippling you get when trying to write it all down in a stupidly small space of time. To me it's not even remotely as difficult, if you find coursework that hard when you have so much time to improve it and work on it, I kind of despair a bit.

ReputationRep:
    I don't think you can compare the two. They're very different qualifications designed to assess subjects in diffrent ways so saying one is easier than the other is stupid.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by corax)
    Accepted it in general or as two gcses?
    I'm not sure, I would check for you, but ucas tracking is down until next week

ReputationRep:
    The reason as to why people take BTEC's is because of no exams.
    By introducing exams in BTEC's I think it's stupid, you might as well take an A-Level.

Then again, everyone's got their own opinions.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    There's nothing to say other than that A levels are more respected than BTECs

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DAtgirlxox)
    leave your experiences and opinions
    The same people who diss BTEC's are the ones who miserably fail alevels and fail to secure a place in uni whereas BTEC Barry manages to get a uni place because he stuck to what he was good at.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dxnielle)
    The same people who diss BTEC's are the ones who miserably fail alevels and fail to secure a place in uni whereas BTEC Barry manages to get a uni place because he stuck to what he was good at.
    I hope you are trolling because otherwise you are a fool.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CallMeJay)
    I hope you are trolling because otherwise you are a fool.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Elaborate. BTECs can get uni places, it's not rare.

ReputationRep:
    I know friends who failed their A Levels swear BTECs are 'easy' and discredit true academic achievement.

I guess failing/doing badly on A Levels is more of an academic pursuit than BTECs lmao

ReputationRep:
    Elaborate. BTECs can get uni places, it's not rare.
    Can being the optimum word

ReputationRep:
    The layout of BTEC's is similarish to a degree in some ways, to gain the qualification you have to study a certain number of units- a few of which you can choose from several options. As has been said they are not really comparable, a lot are vocational or another way for someone who doesn't thrive in a school environment to study further. A levels will always be more highly regarded but BTEC's definitely have their place in education. If you want to apply to Cambridge you are not likely to do one, but if you want to go into design, art or something a national diploma might be more beneficial for entry, creating a portfolio and trying out different techniques etc. This snobbery is boring.

ReputationRep:
    BTECs are more vocational people meaning that's what they are better suited at whereas A Levels are for more academic people,
    I don't think one is easier than the other, you have have strengths and weaknesses per se and its unfair to choose what's better,
    A Levels are in my opinion better as in they open more degrees for you but that's about it,
    I think some coursework is hard, when I did textiles last year that subject probably took up most of my time so Idk

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Whereas the same people who "diss" A-levels are usually the ones who chose BTEC and regretted it.

Yeah, I can make sweeping statements too. Really useful.

(Original post by Id and Ego seek)
    I know friends who failed their A Levels swear BTECs are 'easy' and discredit true academic achievement.

I guess failing/doing badly on A Levels is more of an academic pursuit than BTECs lmao
    To be fair I've had A-level friends like this haha.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Trouty97)
    Can being the optimum word
    My brother did B-Tecs and is now studying sport science, but he literally did no work at home, A levels are far more difficult IMO.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Petulia)
    You can still get into the likes of UCL with btecs, but you need D*D*D*, whereas the A Level requirement for the same course is usually AAB. So, if you're aiming for university, then A Levels are probably easier and a better option because you've more chance of being accepted.
    BTECs are mainly there to help students who want to go straight into work after college, hence why BTECs such as Hair & Beauty and Bricklaying exist.
    Bricklaying!!!! LOL
    And UCL do not accept BTECs

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ljubljana)
    Bricklaying!!!! LOL
    They do for multiple courses, including: IT/Business, Mechanical Engineering, Medical Science and quite a few more I believe

Someone from the year above me back in 2014 when I did my BTEC got in to UCL

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ljubljana)
    Bricklaying!!!! LOL
    You should get a BTEC in Gravedigging a 3 year old thread
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Blue_Cow)
    You should get a BTEC in Gravedigging a 3 year old thread
    Go get milked

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.