Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Survey finds children raised by same-sex couples to be healthier and happier Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by manchesterunited15)
    Well you said it's selection bias and gave reasons why adoptive parents are better than normal parents, but then said that normal parents are better than gay ones, even though those gay ones are also adoptive.

If you said 'straight adoptive parents > gay adoptive parents' that would have made sense.
    it's implied

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zürich)
    it's implied
    I haven't even read the whole article, aint nobody got time for that, I was just commenting on your ranking of parents.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by manchesterunited15)
    But all gay parents adopted their kids.
    Wrong. Some have had kids through IVF. But some have kids through previous relationships.

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by swan stardust)
    Could you please explain to me what you mean by ''normal parents''?
    Naturally, a mother and a father.

What could be better than what nature itself intends? What could be healthier for the mind of a child than to have a mother figure and a father figure to interact with?

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    What could be much better would be to have parents who love you,care about you,are there for you when you need them no matter their sex and sexual orientation.
    Love is of course essential, but the development of any child is best with a mother and a father, it is simply superior all else equal. 'Mother' and 'Father' are not social constructs, they are absolutely inherent to how a child's brain will understand and interact with his family. Not to say that 2 gay parents cant do a great job, but that is in spite of the lack of 2 different-sex parents.

Frankly, those who disagree with that simply consider a vague and ridiculous perception of 'equality' to be of greater important to what is fundamentally, and absolutely obviously, in the best interests of a child. The entire notion of 'equality' of gay and normal parents makes no sense at all in fact.

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    I'd find it awkward personally.

If there is no other suitable candidate for the child then give it to them. Would I want to be adopted by gay parents? Nope. If you're actively seeking for a child and not because they're an accident then you're more likely to treat them with care you'd think.

I also wonder how they'd treat their child wrt relationships, if they were heterophobic e.g. that could be a problem. Although that's a bit far fetched. Just food for thought though.

ReputationRep:
    So if a child is raised by parents of the same sex will there be a problem to how they interact with their family?
    I personally think there is something to be said for the benefits of a 'traditional' family. I don't think that straight couples at all have the monopoly on raising children well, but I would say all else being equal there is a benefit in being raised by a straight couple as opposed to a same sex one.

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    I'm in an interesting position here because myself and the eldest two of my 4 sisters were raised in a heterosexual relationship(s) (let's not even go there!) and the youngest two have been raised in a homosexual relationship.

Ultimately, we've all had incredibly different upbringings, even though we all have the same mother.

I would say that with me and the eldest of the 4 sisters my mother made more mistakes in our upbringing. This could be put down to many different factors - age being one of them as she was only 21 when she had me. These mistakes weren't particularly detrimental to me and my eldest sister's upbringing at all though. We had a very happy childhood with good friends and close ties with all of our family. We moved around a lot which was difficult at times, but we always ended up happy. Healthy may be a different kettle of fish though! :lol: Granted, we were always playing out, but our food wasn't amazingly good for us!

The middle sister was born from a different relationship and was bought up in Harrogate. She's had quite a tough upbringing due to expectations from her father. We were better off during these times though so we were all certainly healthier, but probably less happy.

Finally, after my mother came out, she had two more girls with her partner. She's currently better off financially she has ever been and is also happier then she has ever been. She's also now vegetarian too (booo!). This means that the kids are being brought up by someone with more experience with children, more money and a healthy lifestyle.

Would I say the youngest two have a happier life? I don't know. Certainly more stable and more healthy, but happier? Possibly. Their childhood lives are very different to mine. They've got iPod touches and go to different after-school classes, whereas I had a Megadrive and had to be in when the street lights came on. :dontknow:

Ultimately, in my example at least, the difference in health and happiness between all of us is borne of circumstance, not the sexuality of our parents. I should imagine this is the same for a lot of children in homosexual relationship houses - the circumstance of the parents are different to those of a heterosexual relationship.

ReputationRep:
    Old story is old.

However as long as no one here trys to argue that this somehow shows Homosexual couples make "better" parents.

Cool

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.