Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Best SIM only contract for less than £15? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Giff gaff £12.00 - Unlimited internet like 1000 texts, 250mins

Or Three network (although check if your area is covered)
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by de_monies)
    Well kinda.

What's meant to happen is that you're meant to drop down a band for each "loss of service" I think the rationale behind keeping all this existing, costly, legacy equipment is to ensure that end users can ring the emergency services when needed

Basically

No 4G (LTE) = drop to 3.75G (HSPA)
    No 3.75G = drop to 3.5G (HSDPA)
    No 3.5G = drop down to 3G (UMTS)
    No 3G = drop down to 2.5G (EDGE)
    No 2.5G = drop down to GPRS (2G)
    No 2G = drop down to GSM
    No GSM = emergency calls only

Looking at the Ofcom site, it looks like three doesn't actually have any cell towers below UMTS, so not sure how their infrastructure would work, in comparison to other providers

FYI
    Fair play. I hadn't a clue about that to be honest I always thought 3G carries voice and data, but 2G would cover further ?

ReputationRep:
    Well kinda.

What's meant to happen is that you're meant to drop down a band for each "loss of service" I think the rationale behind keeping all this existing, costly, legacy equipment is to ensure that end users can ring the emergency services when needed

Basically

No 4G (LTE) = drop to 3.75G (HSPA)
    No 3.75G = drop to 3.5G (HSDPA)
    No 3.5G = drop down to 3G (UMTS)
    No 3G = drop down to 2.5G (EDGE)
    No 2.5G = drop down to GPRS (2G)
    No 2G = drop down to GSM
    No GSM = emergency calls only

Looking at the Ofcom site, it looks like three doesn't actually have any cell towers below UMTS, so not sure how their infrastructure would work, in comparison to other providers

FYI
    Awesome cheers for the info!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ILovePancakes)
    Ahah, thanks so much . My contract runs out in October - I'll deffo give it a looksie.
    No probs. I kinda did a whole module on mobile comms

(Original post by Dumachi)
    Fair play. I hadn't a clue about that to be honest I always thought 3G carries voice and data, but 2G would cover further ?
    2G does carry data, but it's not very good at carrying data (I remember when I did have GSM) Terribly slow, but certainly had internet

(Original post by OnionRing)
    Awesome cheers for the info!
    No probs

Also slight mistake there. GPRS and GSM are both 2G

ReputationRep:
    Tesco had some fairly good plans http://shop.tescomobile.com/pay-monthly/sim-only - if you want to avoid o2 (I'm on them and don't have any major issues) you could also try calling them and getting them to price match (ask for the number porting code)

ReputationRep:
    Also 30 day deals are worse value than 12 month ones

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by brilld)
    Also 30 day deals are worse value than 12 month ones
    That's not necessarily true. Virgin's sim only deals are ONLY 30 day deals, yet still beat 12 month deals on other networks

Virgin doesn't do 12 month sim only contracts

For othe providers, perhaps, but then phone them and haggle and say "But but x provider only charges this much. Waaah" and you'll probably get a better deal

ReputationRep:
    That's not necessarily true. Virgin's sim only deals are ONLY 30 day deals, yet still beat 12 month deals on other networks

Virgin doesn't do 12 month sim only contracts

For othe providers, perhaps, but then phone them and haggle and say "But but x provider only charges this much. Waaah" and you'll probably get a better deal
    three are probably better than virgin

free 4G

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xxvine)
    three are probably better than virgin

free 4G
    ky
    Define "better"

Three are relying on Virgin Media business to actually support its 4G infrastructure atm

Virgin mobile use EE. Both EE and Three are good. Again, it's going to take EE longer to adopt 4G, just due to it's sheer size

Not only that, but you need a 4G capable phone as well....

ReputationRep:
    ky
    Define "better"

Three are relying on Virgin Media business to actually support its 4G infrastructure atm

Virgin mobile use EE. Both EE and Three are good. Again, it's going to take EE longer to adopt 4G, just due to it's sheer size

Not only that, but you need a 4G capable phone as well....
    Hmmm true

Which you prefer...Virgin or Three?
    Are Virgin 4G?

ReputationRep:
    Hmmm true

Which you prefer...Virgin or Three?
    Are Virgin 4G?
    They're both pretty good but it depends on what you want tbh. Virgin use the EE network, so dont have 4G just yet

Whilst three are relying on Virgin media business to roll out 4G, Virgin mobile use EE's infrastructure to provide services

It doesn't have it's own infrastructure. Virgin is pretty cheap in the UK. Three is pretty cheap abroad (in 16 countries you pay the same as at "home" )

Swings and roundabouts really

ReputationRep:
    They're both pretty good but it depends on what you want tbh. Virgin use the EE network, so dont have 4G just yet

Whilst three are relying on Virgin media business to roll out 4G, Virgin mobile use EE's infrastructure to provide services

It doesn't have it's own infrastructure. Virgin is pretty cheap in the UK. Three is pretty cheap abroad (in 16 countries you pay the same as at "home" )

Swings and roundabouts really
    Hmmm thats true

Not sure if i should take a phone contract with virgin or three
    I do have broadband, phone and tv with virgin so maybe see what deals they have

ReputationRep:
    Hmmm thats true

Not sure if i should take a phone contract with virgin or three
    I do have broadband, phone and tv with virgin so maybe see what deals they have
    If that's the case, definitely give them a bell and ask what they can do. I mean my mum's bill is £8.74 this month for a £12 contract

Includes:

1200 minutes
    Unlimited texts
    1GB data

(She needs around 600, but there's no £11 contract)

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered mobile phones threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.