Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    To be honest I was pretty shocked when I first heard about the allegations and was wondering if it was just some nutter trying to make some quick cash by taking advantage of thee very sad situations that are coming to light. But it would appear this is not the case. I just hope his victims and those around them as well as Rolfs family are getting the support and privacy they need to get through this.

ReputationRep:
    To anyone else thinking of challenging what I said, I am not pro Harris lol. I take back some of what I said because I didn't explain myself correctly.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Novascope)
    To anyone else thinking of challenging what I said, I am not pro Harris lol. I take back some of what I said because I didn't explain myself correctly.
    No one thinks you're pro Harris, nobody has implied your pro Harris. Don't act like a victim, nobody likes a victim.

I take exception to your idea of victims not reporting the crime when it happened.

It's already been explained to you that these victims may have felt awful about themselves after and felt so dejected that it wasn't wroth the effort.

THANK GOD they found the strength, eventually.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ggmu!)
    No one thinks you're pro Harris, nobody has implied your pro Harris. Don't act like a victim, nobody likes a victim.

I take exception to your idea of victims not reporting the crime when it happened.

It's already been explained to you that these victims may have felt awful about themselves after and felt so dejected that it wasn't wroth the effort.

THANK GOD they found the strength, eventually.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Wow, you're very judgemental aren't you? I just have to reply to this. I'm not playing victim. Who the **** is my audience anyway? I just dislike how you've come at me as if I did something awful. You may not have directly said I'm pro Harris, but you certainly implied that I think what happened is ok and people should feel sorry for him.

"Don't act like a victim, nobody likes a victim" Funny.

I also said to anyone thinking because there's obviously going to be people that may see what I've said and assumed things like you have with me. So no I'm not saying everyone thinks im pro Harris

ReputationRep:
    I don't know if I feel sorry for him or not... What he did was obviously wrong and disgusting, but I am honestly tired of hearing about cases like this. I feel a majority of his victims just did this for the money. If they were really traumatised by the abuse as they claim to be, why wait this long? Yes I know it's not easy for some people to tell someone about abuse, but it shouldn't take someone 20, 30, or even 40 years to do so. It makes me wonder, if the whole Jimmy Savile scandal wasn't publicised, would these victims of other entertainers come out? No. Because the Jimmy Savile scandal basically sparked it all up. Why wait until the man is dead or in his old age to do something like this? Now I'm not saying they shouldn't get justice, but wouldn't you rather get the guy who abused you caught and sent to prison as early as possible? Don't leave it until the man is old, he's lived most of his life already. A life in comfort and wealth.
    To accuse the victims of just doing it for the money is quite frankly vile, and its ignorant to ask the question why did they not come forward sooner when you haven't been in that position yourself and haven't read the details as to why they didn't come forward. Like Jimmy Savile, he was clearly a good manipulator and was able to manipulate and scare his victims so they'd be too afraid and ashamed to say anything to anybody and obviously knew he was likely to get away with it in an age where victims of abuse were far less likely to be taken seriously by the police, especially with the perpetrator being a well known entertainer. I believe a few victims did come forward about the Jimmy Savile abuse in the 90s, but weren't taken seriously, and there was a real possibility that many people knew about his abuse, yet said nothing. He's lived most his life already yes, and it angers me that Savile was allowed to die in comfort and wealth with the truth still hidden, but its still going to have an impact on him in his old age, and he'll die disgraced, with his career and reputation in tatters, so justice has been done.

The idea that anyone could seriously sympathise with him is astounding, who he is and what he's done in his career should mean nothing, he's a criminal, simple as and fully deserves justice, justice that many even argue is too lenient. If you're going to feel sorry for anyone, feel sorry for his victims.

ReputationRep:
    Wow, you're very judgemental aren't you? I just have to reply to this. I'm not playing victim. Who the **** is my audience anyway? I just dislike how you've come at me as if I did something awful. You may not have directly said I'm pro Harris, but you certainly implied that I think what happened is ok and people should feel sorry for him.

"Don't act like a victim, nobody likes a victim" Funny.
    Good comprehension skills...

Nobody can see I've implied that.

My posts have been nothing to do with the actions of the paedos but the timing of reporting of these crimes. Read them again if you must.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Olie)
    To accuse the victims of just doing it for the money is quite frankly vile, and its ignorant to ask the question why did they not come forward sooner when you haven't been in that position yourself and haven't read the details as to why they didn't come forward. Like Jimmy Savile, he was clearly a good manipulator and was able to manipulate and scare his victims so they'd be too afraid and ashamed to say anything to anybody and obviously knew he was likely to get away with it in an age where victims of abuse were far less likely to be taken seriously by the police, especially with the perpetrator being a well known entertainer. I believe a few victims did come forward about the Jimmy Savile abuse in the 90s, but weren't taken seriously, and there was a real possibility that many people knew about his abuse, yet said nothing. He's lived most his life already yes, and it angers me that Savile was allowed to die in comfort and wealth with the truth still hidden, but its still going to have an impact on him in his old age, and he'll die disgraced, with his career and reputation in tatters, so justice has been done.

The idea that anyone could seriously sympathise with him is astounding, who he is and what he's done in his career should mean nothing, he's a criminal, simple as and fully deserves justice, justice that many even argue is too lenient. If you're going to feel sorry for anyone, feel sorry for his victims.

Wow. I'm not even going to fully explain myself to you. You can just read the rest of my posts to see what I mean. I don't feel sorry for the bloody man. I also never ACCUSED these victims. I said I feel as though some are in it for the money.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by infairverona)
    No I was just saying because I saw you said you don't know if you feel sorry for him or not, your sympathy would be better directed at the victims than him. It is unfortunate because he is old and I totally understand what you mean about old people, for me though that just makes it worse. That he could do something so awful and then go on living his life as normal, fooling everyone into thinking he is a perfectly normal man. It's all very sinister
    I know, you're right. I already apologised for what I've said, yet some people are still jumping down my throat. I didn't word it right, and I take back what I said. It's all very unfortunate indeed.

ReputationRep:
    I know, you're right. I already apologised for what I've said, yet some people are still jumping down my throat. I didn't word it right, and I take back what I said. It's all very unfortunate indeed.
    I'm not attacking you, you don't need to apologise! It's obviously disturbing because to most people he just looks like a kind old man, it's horrid

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ggmu!)
    Good comprehension skills...

Nobody can see I've implied that.

My posts have been nothing to do with the actions of the paedos but the timing of reporting of these crimes. Read them again if you must.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Honestly your position is disgusting and your attitude disgusts me. You have no idea how it must feel to be a victim of such abuse (if you do then it's made you crazy, evidently) nor do you know how you'd react.

I'm sorry but that certainly sounds like you're implying I feel nothing for these victims and I'm on his side. Also who's nobody? Why are you speaking for other people? I PERSONALLY feel you've implied something about myself.

ReputationRep:
    Something tells me the OP is a peadophile :\

I'm all rehabilitation not punishment but the pro peadophile excuses seem to suggest the OP goes further than that...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by infairverona)
    I'm not attacking you, you don't need to apologise! It's obviously disturbing because to most people he just looks like a kind old man, it's horrid
    I know you're not, but I'm sure you've seen my discussion with some other users, so I feel like I have to apologise because what I've said has been blown out of proportion. Despite me repeatedly saying I didn't word myself correctly...

ReputationRep:
    Please, mods and admins, bring back neg rep!

Just this once!!

ReputationRep:
    I never said he deserves sympathy.. I never even actually said I feel sorry for him jheez and I never said he should go unpunished either. I said I am unsure. I'm more for not feeling sorry for him that I am for feeling sorry for him, but the only reason why that tiny uncertainty is there for me is purely because of his age. Whenever I think of old people I can't help but think of lovely fragile people, even though many can be nasty and evil. So yes I can acknowledge that maybe I'm being too soft hearted purely for the fact that he's old so I apologise for that. I just wish people like him could have be caught earlier.

Doesn't matter how old a person is. They should be held accountable for their crimes.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ¯\(°_o)/¯)
    Doesn't matter how old a person is. They should be held accountable for their crimes.
    sigh...

"So yes I can acknowledge that maybe I'm being too soft hearted purely for the fact that he's old so I apologise for that"

ReputationRep:
    Atleast jimmy saville dies doing what he loved..

ReputationRep:
    Honestly your position is disgusting and your attitude disgusts me. You have no idea how it must feel to be a victim of such abuse (if you do then it's made you crazy, evidently) nor do you know how you'd react.

I'm sorry but that certainly sounds like you're implying I feel nothing for these victims and I'm on his side. Also who's nobody? Why are you speaking for other people? I PERSONALLY feel you've implied something about myself.
    That doesn't speak on sympathy, that was DIRECTLY related to another point regarding coming forward AFTER Savile died.

You clearly don't know how these people felt, if you did, you'd completely understand why they didn't report this straight away or ever!

I don't have any argument regarding you feeling sorry for Savile or Harris, I know you don't. I can cut that straight out so there is no ambiguity. I know your sympathy is with the victims and not with the criminals. But that's a strawman, we were never discussing this.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    He's being used as the fall guy. This scandal runs deep.

Whether hes a paedo or not I couldnt care less. The strongest anti paedophiles are always council estate chav trash, and I wouldnt want them anywhere near the vicinity of a child frankly. It must be said there are many many horrendous people around who are not paedophiles too.

I think Rolf though was as a good a presenter as any the BBC have ever had. If you removed all the paedophiles from the elite, the BBC, from parliament there'd scarcely be any ****er left.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SophieSmall)
    I don't feel sorry for Rolf Harris. I feel sorry for his victims.
    This.

This. The positive public image Harris built for himself, especially as a children's entertainer, only make his crimes worse in my view because of the greater betrayal of trust they entailed. In a way I think it makes him worse than someone like Saville, who it seems was always seen as a little bit odd, whereas with Harris it was hard to believe at first that someone like him could have committed such a monstrous crime.

ReputationRep:
    I don't.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.