Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by O133)
    330 ml is an accepted size. I will probably add in a 600 ml option as your concern there is pretty legitimate.

If all manufacturers use the same bottle shapes then the bottles can be reused by anybody. I should have paid more attention when I was in Germany last year but from what I remember all the bottles were the same shape. (I didn't go looking for 500 ml Coca Cola bottles or anything like that though so I don't know if they still use their classic design.)
    I was in Berlin a month or two ago and I saw not one of these recycling machines, and bottles were different shapes for each brand.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cryptographic)
    I was in Berlin a month or two ago and I saw not one of these recycling machines, and bottles were different shapes for each brand.
    (Original post by Jarred)
    Presuming you stayed in central Berlin, maybe the shops were too small to have to have an RVM. There must have been one somewhere though, even if you didn't see it.

OK then, we could perhaps allow the major brands to maintain their bottle sizes, but every bottle size has to be programmed into all the machines so it's not really practical for every little independent bottler to have a differently shaped bottle.
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cryptographic)
    Cheers for clarifying

So in Germany, it seems they follow a system similar to the one I just queried about. At a guess, manufacturers get to develop and use their own bottles, and when the bottle is returned, it must just get sent back to that manufacturer. They don't have a generic bottle that everyone is forced to use at gunpoint.

(Original post by O133)
    OK then, I didn't realise glass bottles went that small but I'll add it in come the second reading.
    They certainly do I've got a 33cl glass Spanish Coke bottle on my desk right now. (I kept it because I think they look pretty ) They even go down to 250ml for some beers.

There are also other bottle sizes. 250ml again, for plastic, I've got a few Tropicanas in my bin. Then you have more non-standard sizes too like 900ml and 1350ml for Innocent orange juice.

The point is: Bottling is complex and is unique to the manufacturer. Forcing a state bottle on everyone doesn't work and is ill thought out. Change it so that manufacturers use their own bottles like they do now, but with the Government running a return scheme to individual manufacturers who are forced to re-use every bottle they get given, and I could probably muster an aye.

ReputationRep:
    Aye. Although I think it is better if we could just get rid of the deposit thing because it complicates it. Instead just add 0.25 or whatever to the original price and refund it once people return the bottles. It doesn't have to be that same shop either but anywhere that is willing to participate as well as the local councils.

ReputationRep:
    QFA
    Damn, I forgot how good you were at the critiquing and debating part
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by arminb)
    Aye. Although I think it is better if we could just get rid of the deposit thing because it complicates it. Instead just add 0.25 or whatever to the original price and refund it once people return the bottles. It doesn't have to be that same shop either but anywhere that is willing to participate as well as the local councils.
    That is basically what would happen if we included the deposit in the price.

(Original post by O133)
      Aye. Virtually a carbon copy of the German system.
      It actually is and I quite like that system, I support this bill

ReputationRep:
      Its good enough for the Germans then it'll do.
      • Wiki Support Team
      • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by O133)
      OK then, we could perhaps allow the major brands to maintain their bottle sizes, but every bottle size has to be programmed into all the machines so it's not really practical for every little independent bottler to have a differently shaped bottle.
      The type of bottle could be recorded in the barcode. The returner scans the barcode, the machine weighs it for them, if it's within a very low margin of error, it's accepted. The only worry you have then is that the dumb machine says "Item removed from bottling area" every time, but we can work on that.

Or better yet, all of that stuff can be handled at the processing centre. When it's going into a machine, it doesn't really matter what bottle it is, they all have the same charge. Let the returner scan it, deposit it, and then the guys down at the processing centre can sift through them.

(Original post by Saoirse:3)
      Damn, I forgot how good you were at the critiquing and debating part
      Thanks, I've always thought I'm fairly useless at this bit though
      • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
      The type of bottle could be recorded in the barcode. The returner scans the barcode, the machine weighs it for them, if it's within a very low margin of error, it's accepted. The only worry you have then is that the dumb machine says "Item removed from bottling area" every time, but we can work on that.

Or better yet, all of that stuff can be handled at the processing centre. When it's going into a machine, it doesn't really matter what bottle it is, they all have the same charge. Let the returner scan it, deposit it, and then the guys down at the processing centre can sift through them.
      Not all bottles are accepted. In Germany only bottles purchased in Germany are accepted, the machine rejects all others. This is so that you can't claim the deposit back if you haven't paid it in the first place.

ReputationRep:
      aye

ReputationRep:
      This bill is great!
      • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
      This has been withdrawn.
      • Community Assistant
      • Wiki Support Team
      • Political Ambassador
      • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
      This has gone to a second reading

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 19, 2014
  1. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

2. Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  3. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

4. The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.