Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Took some change from work? Dont know what to do??Will I be arrested?? Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Blimey. £3. Yeah you're probably looking at a 5-6 year prison sentence with no chance of parole. Say hi to Rolf for me.

ReputationRep:
    Honestly you should just go to the police station and turn yourself in. This is your first offense I'm assuming, I really don't know how you can change you life round after this but anything is possible! you've just got to keep your head down and chin up!

sorry I'm being an idiot when I used to work on tills in retail they totaled the money in the tills everyday. Don't do it again, they may assume you made a mistake if you're new at the job. I always used to make mistakes on the till and my manager would make me count the money twice.

ReputationRep:
    Do not worry too much about it, can you not just return the change? Or try apologising which would make things better I hope.

ReputationRep:
    don't see why you can't just replace the three quid next time you go to work?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Carterj09)
    An xbox and £300 is all but unnoticeable to a MNC. Doesn't affect them in the slightest, they get 1,000,000 more than that from the taxes they dodge.
    Hes giving it back you ****

theft
    θɛft/
    noun
    [COLOR=#878787 !important][/COLOR]

• the action or crime of stealing.

steal
      stiːl/Submit
      verb
      gerund or present participle: stealing
      take (another person's property) without permission or legal right and without intending to return it.

He intends to give it back, ergo he borrowed it,.

Haha you are just so cute!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nurtasher333)
    don't see why you can't just replace the three quid next time you go to work?
    Tills would be cashed up each day, so instead of one discrepancy there is now two. Plus what would happen if a camera or a colleague witnessed this? Alarms bells would be ringing. It's unlikely that the company will even take much action for the till being £3 down without the dishonesty aspect of the matter so it's best just to keep hush.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ronove)
    Do NOT go and tell them you took the money and do NOT try to put the money back in the till - they will most likely have put it down to you making a minor ****-up in change or similar and if the till happens to magically be £3 up (it won't go back to being balanced like nothing happened, they will note that it's now £3 up) it'll be even worse - it'll either draw attention to you and make them check security tapes or ask you about it and they'll find out you stole money, or they'll just think you're a liability, throwing the till off by several pounds all the time with silly mistakes.

Never do it again, and stop being so stupid! This is not a game, this is not school where you'll get told off and then everything will be ok. It's a job. Do not jeopardise your record for a stupid mistake you've now learned from. Just leave it. If they seem to be onto you, play stupid. Getting fired for doing something really stupid (thinking you could walk off and change some change from your wallet, then forgetting to put the change back, I dunno) is infinitely better than getting fired for stealing. These people may well be your referee for future jobs. Do not get caught for stealing.
    For the love of God, THIS.

OP, take Ronove's post seriously and move on with your life and learn your ****ing lesson!

(Original post by bobrose1)
    x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MrBuck)
    Tills would be cashed up each day, so instead of one discrepancy there is now two. Plus what would happen if a camera or a colleague witnessed this? Alarms bells would be ringing. It's unlikely that the company will even take much action for the till being £3 down without the dishonesty aspect of the matter so it's best just to keep hush.
    Ahh I see. Silly me

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Quit these crappy jobs and focus on your studies... Best thing I ever did

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rileystringer)
    borrowing without asking is considered theft. argos can press charges if they wish. theft is theft. you can't jut lend £3 from the till ! this is what is wrong with society. would it be okay for me to just borrow some of these:

from Spar and give them back in a few weeks? NO!!!!!!!!!
    Actaully the theft act says that a person is guilty of theft if he dishonestly appropriates property belonging to another with the intention of permanently depriving the other of it.

This is the law. If you borrow something it isn't stealing. You have to intend to deprive the owner of it forever

altzhough I think the op was out of order.....

ReputationRep:
    When I worked at Argos they had a tiny room which housed all the expensive stuff like games consoles and games. It was locked by a key and at first the key was just put on the desk near the ticket machine so if you needed to go in there, you could take the key, get the item and come out again. They they realised someone was nicking stuff so decided only one person could use the key, which cause all sorts of problems when it was busy.

I thought you had to empty your pockets before you started work, then (where I worked) they scanned you (like at airports) when you finished to make sure you didn't have anything you shouldn't have.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alapa)
    Actaully the theft act says that a person is guilty of theft if he dishonestly appropriates property belonging to another with the intention of permanently depriving the other of it.

This is the law. If you borrow something it isn't stealing. You have to intend to deprive the owner of it forever

altzhough I think the op was out of order.....
    Actually... I think you'll find it IS stealing. The law is very specific, OP would be permanently depriving the store of those exact coins- they won't get those exact coins back, thus its stealing.
    Even if you intend to replace them with the same value its stealing.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by purplelamp)
    Actually... I think you'll find it IS stealing. The law is very specific, OP would be permanently depriving the store of those exact coins- they won't get those exact coins back, thus its stealing.
    Even if you intend to replace them with the same value its stealing.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Dishonest appropriation says otherwise. The law would acknowledge the monetary value of the coins and not that the 'exact shiny thingies' had been replaced. That is a very simplistic view I'm afraid.

It is not up for debate. I've studied the theft act in great depth.

I do think the OP would be in trouble for theft though, they would be unable to prove they intended to replace the coins.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alapa)
    Dishonest appropriation says otherwise. The law would acknowledge the monetary value of the coins and not that the 'exact shiny thingies' had been replaced. That is a very simplistic view I'm afraid.

It is not up for debate. I've studied the theft act in great depth.

I do think the OP would be in trouble for theft though, they would be unable to prove they intended to replace the coins.
    Not debating, just stating what I learnt in Law, there's been cases where they've taken it and they were found guilty because they're permanently depriving them exact notes which he took. Jury interpretation at the end of the day.

Wasn't intending to debate, sorry haha
    I agree OP would be guilty of theft though

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    3 pound? The store will actually lose more than that amount of money in paying the wage of the person going through the cctv and investigating. I've cashed up many tills, if it makes you feel better, not once have I been more than 10 pound down and thought "well I'm definitely losing sleep over this complete ****ing tragedy tonight"

ReputationRep:
    I work for Home Retail Group (not for Argos though) and if the till is up/down by an amount under £10, all of the people on that till that day just have to sign a sheet to acknowledge it. They don't bother checking the CCTV for an amount such as £3. They'll just put it down to a mistake when someone gave out change.

ReputationRep:
    For all of you stupid bloody scaremongers out there absolutely NOTHING HAPPENED!!!! Ive been in all week and not one person said ANYTHING. Lol people on here think they know all about the "law" in this circumstance and the company policies. Then you'll get a clever person (or person who thinks they are clever and want to show some pathetic Internet superiority and say what I did broke the law... I know it was illegal you muppets. After the event I didn't try To pretend I was within the law atall ,i jut wanted to see others reactions to this situation on a moral level. I clearly knew the second after this that it was wrong and I was racked with guilt, yet didn't hesitate to jump onto the " I must say something to look like a good citizen" and get onto the moral high ground that so many indulge in and surely to gain meaningless "reutation points" . People like you guys should just get a life and next time criticise someone who didn't realise immediately,if atall their mistakes. Society these days just wants everyone to conform and not say what they truly feel,only what they want other people to view how they feel. Thanks for the people who actually realised mistake and gave a real world humanistic answer. For the record I know that it was wrong,illegal,deceitful-however you want to describe it but I know I am a good person who knows right from wrong.How many of you who criticisede on here walked past a person having a fit and didn't help? how many of you who criticised have watched a pirated movie online? How many of you don't give up you seat for an elderly person on a bus? How many of you have given blood? How many people here have parked in a disabled parking place ,even if just for "a few minutes" ? It's not doing and not doing some of these things or the "right" thing that cements who we are as people , not sitting behind a keyboard damming others for wrongful minor events. The hypocritical world we live in is just ridiculous sometimes and people need to open their eyes and see the real picture. No one is perfect,EVERYBODY makes mistakes and it's what you learn from them that also contributed to being the best you can be.
    Rant over.
    I'm out.

ReputationRep:
    CORRECT VERSION as spellcheck edited wrongully some word.
    For all of you stupid bloody scaremongers out there absolutely NOTHING HAPPENED!!!! Ive been in all week and not one person said ANYTHING. Lol people on here think they know all about the "law" in this circumstance and the company policies. Then you'll get a clever person (or person who thinks they are clever and want to show some pathetic Internet superiority and say what I did broke the law... I know it was illegal you muppets. After the event I didn't try To pretend I was within the law atall ,i just wanted to see others reactions to this situation on a moral level. I clearly knew the second after this that it was wrong and I was racked with guilt, yet didn't hesitate to jump onto the " I must say something to look like a good citizen" and get onto the moral high ground that so many indulge in and surely to gain meaningless "reputation points" . People like you guys should just get a life and next time criticise someone who didn't realise immediately,if atall their mistakes. Society these days just wants everyone to conform and not say what they truly feel,only what they want other people to view how they feel. Thanks for the people who actually realised my mistake and gave a real world humanistic answer. For the record I know that it was wrong,illegal,deceitful-however you want to describe it but I know I am a good person who knows right from wrong.How many of you who criticised on here have walked past a person having a fit and didn't help? how many of you who criticised have watched a pirated movie online? How many of you don't give up you seat for an elderly person on a bus? How many of you have given blood? How many people here have parked in a disabled parking place ,even if just for "a few minutes" ? It's not doing and doing some of these things or the "right" thing that cements who we are as people , not sitting behind a keyboard damming others for wrongful minor events. The hypocritical world we live in is just ridiculous sometimes and people need to open their eyes and see the real picture. No one is perfect,EVERYBODY makes mistakes and it's what you learn from them that also contributed to being the best you can be.
    Rant over.
    I'm out.[/QUOTE]

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bobrose1)
    For all of you stupid bloody scaremongers out there absolutely NOTHING HAPPENED!!!! Ive been in all week and not one person said ANYTHING. Lol people on here think they know all about the "law" in this circumstance and the company policies. Then you'll get a clever person (or person who thinks they are clever and want to show some pathetic Internet superiority and say what I did broke the law... I know it was illegal you muppets. After the event I didn't try To pretend I was within the law atall ,i jut wanted to see others reactions to this situation on a moral level. I clearly knew the second after this that it was wrong and I was racked with guilt, yet didn't hesitate to jump onto the " I must say something to look like a good citizen" and get onto the moral high ground that so many indulge in and surely to gain meaningless "reutation points" . People like you guys should just get a life and next time criticise someone who didn't realise immediately,if atall their mistakes. Society these days just wants everyone to conform and not say what they truly feel,only what they want other people to view how they feel. Thanks for the people who actually realised mistake and gave a real world humanistic answer. For the record I know that it was wrong,illegal,deceitful-however you want to describe it but I know I am a good person who knows right from wrong.How many of you who criticisede on here walked past a person having a fit and didn't help? how many of you who criticised have watched a pirated movie online? How many of you don't give up you seat for an elderly person on a bus? How many of you have given blood? How many people here have parked in a disabled parking place ,even if just for "a few minutes" ? It's not doing and not doing some of these things or the "right" thing that cements who we are as people , not sitting behind a keyboard damming others for wrongful minor events. The hypocritical world we live in is just ridiculous sometimes and people need to open their eyes and see the real picture. No one is perfect,EVERYBODY makes mistakes and it's what you learn from them that also contributed to being the best you can be.
    Rant over.
    I'm out.
    Taking money from a till is not a 'minor event', nor are any of the things you listed comparable to it and if you think they are then you are in some serious denial. Knowing right from wrong and still making the decision to take money from a till makes you even more of an idiot. I was helpful to you in this thread but this post is pathetic. Lashing out and trying to accuse others of anything and everything because you got ragged on is unbelievably childish. You having taken the money showed you had some real growing up to do but this post just takes it to a whole new level. Pathetic.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.