Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Worse University Experiences? Post away! All rants welcome! Watch

ReputationRep:
    Jeez the worst that happened in my halls was people taking the ceiling roles down in the corridors :P i was fortunate to have a flat full of like minded people, if we went out we all went out, if we had people from home over we would include everyone else as well so there was never anyone left in their room (unless they wanted to be). My uni was really good though, any problems and security would be up and they were good at sorting problems out, it's shocking that these things can happen; there is a vast difference between going out, getting drunk, making some noise and all of these things. Hopefully the rest of uni will be better for you guys...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ElChapo)
    I didn't really take part in any fancy dress because I didn't wanna waste money on gay outfits personally.
    Did anyone see you as boring or anything? Did you still have close friends and stuff, including your flat mates, or were you seen as the "weird one" for not going to those costume parties?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AnharM)
    Did anyone see you as boring or anything? Did you still have close friends and stuff, including your flat mates, or were you seen as the "weird one" for not going to those costume parties?
    Nah they were understanding fortunately. Not all of them chose to take part anyway. In other flats I saw people going all out so my lack of enthusiasm might have been received differently there, but they're the kinda "LADS LADS LADS" I don't associate with.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    My worst experience was ending up in a flat with a group of people I just didn't gel with at all in first year, which was just bad luck really, as most people I know did get on with their flatmates. I was the last one to move in, a day later than the others, and I felt like they all already knew each other really well, and really struggled to find things I had in common with them. Spent the first couple of days hanging out with the boy in the room opposite who did seem nice and like he wanted to be friends, but then I made friends with an all girls' flat who lived upstairs and started spending more time with them. The boy got clingy and asked me a fortnight in if I saw him as a friend or as something more, to which I replied that I definitely saw him just as a friend, after which any conversation between us was awkward, especially after I started going out with another boy who lived in our block not long after.

The others were just really messy, and our kitchen was forever a state - I would clean up after myself but I refused to clean up their mess too because I knew if I did once they'd probably expect me to do it all of the time (and there was a lot of mess). I got back one night after a long day at uni to find a cleaning rota pinned up on my room door, on which my only duty was to clean the whole kitchen, whilst everyone else had got things like "wash up", "clean shower" - basically things that took a lot less time and effort. I was also supposed to do it on a Monday which was that night, so when I didn't do it immediately the others got annoyed, but instead of actually talking to me about it themselves, they sent the boy who had a crush on me to tell me they were annoyed (they were standing in the kitchen a few metres away at the time). After that we barely communicated, the whole flat was just a mess all of the time, apart from when they'd attempt to clean it every so often & post passive-aggressive statuses on Facebook about how "no-one ever helps us", even though I would be sat in my room and have no idea they were cleaning until they posted that, and would have happily gone out to help them if they'd just knocked on my door. They were also all really loud and I'd often get woken up by them having a flat party or coming in from nights out in the early hours. I was happy to move out of there.

The other bad experience I had...I was supposed to be living with the girls in the flat upstairs in 2nd year, but after a few months we started to drift apart because I didn't actually have that much in common with them in hindsight, apart from one of them who I got on with really well. I found out in a not particularly nice way (basically them saying "we need to sort out Wednesday", me saying, completely oblivious "ooh, what's happening on Wednesday?" and the atmosphere suddenly being so thick you could cut it with a knife because they'd arranged a house viewing and I wasn't invited) that they didn't want me to live with them anymore, and even though a week or so after the one I got on with really well changed her mind and asked if we could live together because she'd rather live with me than with them, it meant that I felt really awkward going up to see her because I'd bump into her flatmates and I didn't feel comfortable around them anymore. So as a result I spent a lot of time with my boyfriend, and I started to rely on him for my happiness, but he got on really well with his flatmates, so if he was doing something with them or was busy I'd just be really isolated and lonely and sad. I'd made two really good friends on my course but they lived on the other side of campus, about half an hour's walk away, and once our exams finished, a fortnight before everyone else's, they both went home. I think this was when my anxiety started to get really bad and just got progressively worse from then until 2nd year exams came round and I felt like I was on the verge of a breakdown. It affected my results in 2nd year - I'm sure I would have done better if I hadn't been so wound up and anxious all of the time.

Thankfully the people I've lived with since 2nd year have been the best flatmates I could have asked for (and the one I initially moved in with is now one of my best friends), my relationship survived despite the problems my mental health issues caused, and we're probably happier together than we've ever been now and will hopefully manage to make it work over long distance as he's now graduated and moved back home. I managed to get help for my anxiety (and depression) eventually and although it's been a long process I'm now a lot better mentally than I have been in years (in hindsight the anxiety started after my granddad's death when I was 15). I worked hard in third year to keep my mental illnesses under control and to do as well as I could and came out with a first, so it's still possible for me to get one overall (although I'll need to work really hard in 4th year). My self-esteem still needs to be worked on, but I'm a lot more confident in social situations now and ended up working as a student ambassador & waitress/café assistant this year.

So even if it feels like you're having a really bad time at uni, there's always hope that things will get better!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BlueSheep32)
    My worst experience was ending up in a flat with a group of people I just didn't gel with at all in first year, which was just bad luck really, as most people I know did get on with their flatmates. I was the last one to move in, a day later than the others, and I felt like they all already knew each other really well, and really struggled to find things I had in common with them. Spent the first couple of days hanging out with the boy in the room opposite who did seem nice and like he wanted to be friends, but then I made friends with an all girls' flat who lived upstairs and started spending more time with them. The boy got clingy and asked me a fortnight in if I saw him as a friend or as something more, to which I replied that I definitely saw him just as a friend, after which any conversation between us was awkward, especially after I started going out with another boy who lived in our block not long after.

The others were just really messy, and our kitchen was forever a state - I would clean up after myself but I refused to clean up their mess too because I knew if I did once they'd probably expect me to do it all of the time (and there was a lot of mess). I got back one night after a long day at uni to find a cleaning rota pinned up on my room door, on which my only duty was to clean the whole kitchen, whilst everyone else had got things like "wash up", "clean shower" - basically things that took a lot less time and effort. I was also supposed to do it on a Monday which was that night, so when I didn't do it immediately the others got annoyed, but instead of actually talking to me about it themselves, they sent the boy who had a crush on me to tell me they were annoyed (they were standing in the kitchen a few metres away at the time). After that we barely communicated, the whole flat was just a mess all of the time, apart from when they'd attempt to clean it every so often & post passive-aggressive statuses on Facebook about how "no-one ever helps us", even though I would be sat in my room and have no idea they were cleaning until they posted that, and would have happily gone out to help them if they'd just knocked on my door. They were also all really loud and I'd often get woken up by them having a flat party or coming in from nights out in the early hours. I was happy to move out of there.

The other bad experience I had...I was supposed to be living with the girls in the flat upstairs in 2nd year, but after a few months we started to drift apart because I didn't actually have that much in common with them in hindsight, apart from one of them who I got on with really well. I found out in a not particularly nice way (basically them saying "we need to sort out Wednesday", me saying, completely oblivious "ooh, what's happening on Wednesday?" and the atmosphere suddenly being so thick you could cut it with a knife) that they didn't want me to live with them anymore, and even though a week or so after the one I got on with really well changed her mind and asked if we could live together because she'd rather live with me than with them, it meant that I felt really awkward going up to see her because I'd bump into her flatmates and I didn't feel comfortable around them anymore. So as a result I spent a lot of time with my boyfriend, and I started to rely on him for my happiness, but he got on really well with his flatmates, so if he was doing something with them or was busy I'd just be really isolated and lonely and sad. I'd made two really good friends on my course but they lived on the other side of campus, about half an hour's walk away, and once our exams finished, a fortnight before everyone else's, they both went home. I think this was when my anxiety started to get really bad and just got progressively worse from then until 2nd year exams came round and I felt like I was on the verge of a breakdown. It affected my results in 2nd year - I'm sure I would have done better if I hadn't been so wound up and anxious all of the time.

Thankfully the people I've lived with since 2nd year have been the best flatmates I could have asked for (and the one I initially moved in with is now one of my best friends), my relationship survived despite the problems my mental health issues caused, and we're probably happier together than we've ever been now and will hopefully manage to make it work over long distance as he's now graduated and moved back home. I managed to get help for my anxiety (and depression) eventually and although it's been a long process I'm now a lot better mentally than I have been in years (in hindsight the anxiety started after my granddad's death when I was 15). I worked hard in third year to keep my mental illnesses under control and to do as well as I could and came out with a first, so it's still possible for me to get one overall (although I'll need to work really hard in 4th year). My self-esteem still needs to be worked on, but I'm a lot more confident in social situations now and ended up working as a student ambassador & waitress/café assistant this year.

So even if it feels like you're having a really bad time at uni, there's always hope that things will get better!
    Amazing story, glad to hear things got better for you :hugs: Will +rep once I recharge

ReputationRep:
    4 hours of maths exams back to back!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shahbaz)
    4 hours of maths exams back to back!!!!!!!!!!!!!1
    Lord :O

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cdude)
    I see your location is Nottingham?

Do you go to uni in notts? If so, which one?
    From Nottingham but go to Uni of Lincoln

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.