Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Do girls actually prefer a gentleman or badboys?(Girls opinions) Watch

ReputationRep:
    Gentleman, having an unpredictable partner is bad news or it has been for me in the past.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nohomo)
    What do you prefer to romance?
    Treating me like a normal person?

Friendliness?

Having a laugh?

ReputationRep:
    Bad bwois all the way

ReputationRep:
    Gentlemen, I'm dating my first boyfriend now and he's a gentleman. *swoon*

ReputationRep:
    This question doesn't work that well on a student forum like this because most of the users are late teens or early twenties and so the girls on here won't have had much experience of 'bad boys' or 'gentlemen'.

Bad boys have a cool image because of how they are portrayed in films and series: generally these are played by older actors like Brad Pitt or Jonny Depp who are both good looking and charismatic. Also they are acting in fictional stories that allow their characters to do things that are rebellious and cool. A lot of girls find bad boys hot, when they are Brad Pitt or Jonny Depp.

'Bad boys' in sixth form colleges or universities are hardly at the same level of sex appeal. The limits of their badness will be stuff like getting tattoos, bunking off lectures and being too cool to study, smoking weed or taking pills, playing their music loud in halls and not caring if it annoys everybody else, taking their shirts off in clubs and trying to have edgy and controversial views on things like women/feminism or immigration.

So its obvious that you will get girls on the one hand saying mmm hot when they are talking about film and TV bad boys, and on the other hand saying they have no time for them when they are talking about actual guys. This isn't an inconsistency, its just that the type of self-styled bad boys you meet at college or uni are what redferry says above, the '********' category.

Gentlemen don't really exist in colleges or unis either (other than lecturers), I think a guy has to be a bit older, minimum 30, to be an authentic gentleman, so student age girls can't really draw on examples from their peer group. However at uni you do get some girls who will meet older professional guys either through dating sites or through doing work placements etc and some will like them. A guy that's got a successful career up and running, well dressed, intelligent and interesting company, and experienced and confident at making decisions, can be a far more interesting date for a girl than what she will be used to from her student aged male peers because they can take her out interesting places and be good company and make her feel like she's treated a bit more special. What she will be used to with guys her own age is them just trying to manoeuvre a situation where they are together in some setting with a load of alcohol and hope the alcohol will end up leading to them 'getting together', and then having some silly argument and sulk somewhere along the line.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MagicNMedicine)
    ^^^Listen to this one, he knows what he's talking about haha

Btw what do you call acting gentlemanly and being below 30 yrs?

ReputationRep:
    I love a bad *****, with a Jamaican ass, you can wine on me girl.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MagicNMedicine)
    Top post. Like it

ReputationRep:
    Gent in the streets, animal in the sheets

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tyrion_Lannister)
    Something though, if the only good point about you is being a gentleman, you don't get far. Being a boring gentleman isnt attractive. Being a gentleman AND having something about you is
    hahaha making it complicated now..whats "something"

id say be who yeh wana be although always helps to be polite

if she doesnt like yeh for it..**** her..

if she does all the better

either way youre being the person yeh wana be

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KenGosgrove)
    I like this woman!
    I think you'll be fairly surprised to find out many women enjoy engaging in normal conversations

ReputationRep:
    Gentleman all the way. Who wants a 'badboy'. I'd rather have someone that can take care of me instead of me cleaning up their mess all the time. A gentleman will give a girl respect, support and love, something a 'badboy' cant even offer.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Gentleman but there's got to be more to them to that. It's not a case of they're a gentleman so perfect and there's something wrong with us if we don't instantly get with them.

My first boyfriend was nice and what you'd class as a gentleman but when I listed up my reasons for being with him that was about it. We had little in common, conversation was always awkward and I was often bored when we were together. I was with him for almost 2 years as I found it difficult to break up with him as technically he'd done nothing wrong, he'd always been really nice to me but that was it.

I've since been in relationships which have been much better where I've love hanging around them. Someone who is a gentleman but can also always make me laugh, equal me intellectually, teases me, supports and challenges me, is good to have fun with and isn't bad on the eyes either. (Plus I also believe he is one of the main reasons I went from getting grades equal to a low 2:1 to a decent first in the course of a year.) The gentleman thing is important but that alone doesn't count for much.

tl;dr Gentleman but that can't be the only thing going for them.

ReputationRep:
    I like a cheeky man who's genuine and has good morals and manners. I do like a gentleman and would love to settle down with one, have gone out with two 'bad boys' and that didn't end well. I think I've changed my views as I've gotten older.

ReputationRep:
    gentleman all the way!

ReputationRep:
    Gentlemen..
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RayApparently)
    ^^^Listen to this one, he knows what he's talking about haha

Btw what do you call acting gentlemanly and being below 30 yrs?
    In my year, pretty anyone who isn't a poser :rolleyes:

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Gentlemen >>>>

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    A gentleman 100%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Caitlin_3008)
    Gentleman.
    just passing by, but what the hell is your profile pic???

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 9, 2014
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.