Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Shara11)
    Ah cool so we're gonna be on the same course!
    I've applied for John Foster as my first choice and GMS as my second, I really can't remember what the halls were like from the tour which is annoying! Is GMS accommodation nice and how many other people is it shared with?
    I chose GMS because of TSR .. i had read threads saying how GMS is the most happening place and has the "S-BAR" (hv no idea how is that cool)
    but yeah!!! so i went fr GMS n as it's my first year .. i went for the standard Twin so ill hv a roommate ..!!! i wish its someone of the same course as us...will b really helpful!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by igcsecrazy)
    Hi! I have a friend doing french and spanish and he seems to love it. I myself am going to do language classes with the modern languages department once a week for the whole of second year (they offer a range of languages hehe). Unfortunately I don't know anything about the 3 week summer school - but thats like so much fun! Sorry I couldn't be of much help. x
    That's ok! I really like the look of Leicester for that summer school and have fun with your language classes! x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by samiz20891)
    did you stay in Opal court?

Catered Kitchen: it varies on which halls you stay in as some only have a fridge and a microwave, we had a electrical oven but honestly took like 20 minutes to heat up water for cooking. The fridge space was really small as well tbh.
    Yepp stayed at opal court for my first year was really good hahah

ReputationRep:
    The students union is so great!! There is so much support for all types of students whether that be international, disabled or visiting students etc etc. The student union council itself is so engaging and I'm friends with many of them as they are so active within university and just so welcoming. It really helped me as I was pretty nervous last year, being an international student and living on my own in a completely different country.

There is huge range of societies you can join (and as many as you want!). At the start of the year theres a freshers fair where you can wander around and check out stalls representing each society and you can sign up right there and then. I signed up to 4 societies at the start of last year but only really committed to two haha. Also we have a starbucks at our students union building which is always a great thing because coffee is essential for uni!
    Hahahaah ...wow...now im really excited..thanks a lot..!! Just one lst thing...how is shirley house??

ReputationRep:
    Yepp stayed at opal court for my first year was really good hahah
    It is pretty awesome Tbf, there are tons of internationals there too. I had a few friends there so spent quite a while if we were predrinking prior to going into town. I got to say the kitchen was really good, it was bigger for five flatmates there than the one I had sharing with another 22 odd people and the en suite was really decent too.

Are you renting privately in the second year or staying at Opal court again? A lot of people stay between Claredon Park Road and Kimberley Road.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Av27)
    Hahahaah ...wow...now im really excited..thanks a lot..!! Just one lst thing...how is shirley house??
    I don't know much about Oadby at all I'm afraid! I stayed near the university and your accommodation is in the student village (Oadby). Although I do know it's really lively and full of freshers so it's bound to be fun!

ReputationRep:
    It is pretty awesome Tbf, there are tons of internationals there too. I had a few friends there so spent quite a while if we were predrinking prior to going into town. I got to say the kitchen was really good, it was bigger for five flatmates there than the one I had sharing with another 22 odd people and the en suite was really decent too.

Are you renting privately in the second year or staying at Opal court again? A lot of people stay between Claredon Park Road and Kimberley Road.
    Haha yeah, although my flatmates didn't speak English at all so we had problems communicating hahaha oh wells. And nope not staying in opal, renting a studio elsewhere!

ReputationRep:
    Hey all... I need an english partner. I want to improve my english. Any uk student willing to help me plz contact me. I want to go for higher studies abroad and I have to do so to get good marks in IELTS test.

ReputationRep:
    Haha yeah, although my flatmates didn't speak English at all so we had problems communicating hahaha oh wells. And nope not staying in opal, renting a studio elsewhere!
    Yeah a mate of mine had a similar problem, she had a quite a few international chinese students in the flat and flats around her, luckily she speaked a bit of Mandarin though, . I guess it happens when most of the students in Opal court are internationals, so there are going to be some people with poor English skills. I was looking at Opal court originally but as I am from Leicester and even anywhere from the UK they don't offer many spaces when I was looking.

A studio sounds pretty awesome tbf, well anywhere good luck on your final two years, .

ReputationRep:
    I'm going into my 2nd year at Uni of Leicester! I study Psychology with Sociology If you have any questions let me know and hopefully I can help you out x
    quick question
    do a lot of first years stay in opal and Nixon court first year ?
    I am thinking to because I don't wanna pay for bus rather walk to lectures but I wanna be with first years ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DJ_Hitman)
    quick question
    do a lot of first years stay in opal and Nixon court first year ?
    I am thinking to because I don't wanna pay for bus rather walk to lectures but I wanna be with first years ?
    Yeah well there were lots of freshers at opal, not too sure about nixon but I reckon its the same too! Some flats were all freshers so thats lucky but I was with international post grads so I didn't get to know any of my flatmates haha. Yeah thats the thing about oadby, I just didnt want to pay for the bus or walk 3 miles everyday hahah

ReputationRep:
    Yeah a mate of mine had a similar problem, she had a quite a few international chinese students in the flat and flats around her, luckily she speaked a bit of Mandarin though, . I guess it happens when most of the students in Opal court are internationals, so there are going to be some people with poor English skills. I was looking at Opal court originally but as I am from Leicester and even anywhere from the UK they don't offer many spaces when I was looking.

A studio sounds pretty awesome tbf, well anywhere good luck on your final two years, .
    Yeah! Well there were lots of freshers so luckily I managed haha, we all grouped together in common room or someones flat for predrinks so it wasnt too bad! and thank you!!

ReputationRep:
    I'm going into my 2nd year at Uni of Leicester! I study Psychology with Sociology If you have any questions let me know and hopefully I can help you out x
    Hey Can u tell me a decent hotel nearest to the oadby village please??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Av27)
    Hey Can u tell me a decent hotel nearest to the oadby village please??
    If you want a decent hotel you ought to go into the city! Theres hilton and marriott but not in oadby and not close to the city centre unfortunetly. Belmont is a nice hotel and close to the uni!

ReputationRep:
    I'm looking to stay in a hotel for a few nights as a fresher can you recommend any near to night life su ect ? X😁

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cathyg987)
    I'm looking to stay in a hotel for a few nights as a fresher can you recommend any near to night life su ect ? X

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Belmont would definitely be the closest one to uni Around a 5min walk. Theres also premier inn near the train station so around a 10-15 min walk to uni There are lots of hotels in town too and some clubs during freshers are in town so you could look into that? Some nights are at the uni since we have an 02 academy

ReputationRep:
    I'm gonna staying in Opal court this coming sept and was wondering which blocks are single gender/mixed gender ones?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by greyfleurs)
    I'm gonna staying in Opal court this coming sept and was wondering which blocks are single gender/mixed gender ones?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    All blocks have single/mixed gendered flats!! So just check the option for whichever you prefer

ReputationRep:
    All blocks have single/mixed gendered flats!! So just check the option for whichever you prefer

Do you happen to know if block B, first floor is mixed or single gender?

I made a mistake putting "prefer mixed gender" when I wanted "require single gender". So I emailed the acc office to have a room change, then the person replied and told me that I didn't need a room change because he confirmed that it was a "female only" block. Then the other day, I saw some guys saying that they lived in the same block as me so I'm sort of confused/worried now.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by greyfleurs)
    Do you happen to know if block B, first floor is mixed or single gender?

I made a mistake putting "prefer mixed gender" when I wanted "require single gender". So I emailed the acc office to have a room change, then the person replied and told me that I didn't need a room change because he confirmed that it was a "female only" block. Then the other day, I saw some guys saying that they lived in the same block as me so I'm sort of confused/worried now.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I actually lived in block B first floor!! two flats were same sex, one was mixed! But they might have changed it so that all of block B is now single, so no worries x

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.