18.38%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kenan and Kel)

But no, just stop.
    Name:  ImageUploadedByStudent Room1404789472.833130.jpg
Views: 61
Size:  14.3 KB

Don't be jelly baby.

Also, why isn't Ed Woodward on the list?!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FKLW)
    Don't be jelly baby.

Also, why isn't Ed Woodward on the list?!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Don't know. OP probably looking for him like the rest of the world. Can you find him?

Spoiler:
    Show

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kenan and Kel)
    Don't know. OP probably looking for him like the rest of the world. Can you find him?

Spoiler:
    Show
    He seems to be chasing a South American looking guy with a very questionable hairstyle. Ah this is the man.

Spoiler:
    Show
    Name:  ImageUploadedByStudent Room1404789873.174687.jpg
Views: 55
Size:  11.7 KB

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Atm i'm still undecided. Cool to see an F1 driver up in the poll.

Disapppointed Valentino Rossi is not up there as i think twhat he's done in motoGP is maybe even more impressive. Having 2 poor years on a bad bike then returning to winning ways. Schumacher never returned to winning ways on his F1 return(although he was very close sometimes).

The main problem is i don't know enough about the other people to make a decent judgement. No idea what % of golf games Woods won at his best. Was it absolute dominance? I have no idea, all i know is "he's a good golfer who cheated on his wife"...

ReputationRep:
    How the OP forgot Don Bradman is beyond me. His stats are unparalleled even after 100 + years of cricket and unprecedented in any major sports played in the world.

Here's an example. He Averages 99.94

Rest of the top batsman in the world averages around 58. To give a better idea, the rest of the top players average varies by decimal values and he is miles ahead of anyone. To compare his achievement with other sports, here's how it goes.

""The statistics show that "no other athlete dominates an international sport to the extent that Bradman does cricket". In order to post a similarly dominant career statistic as Bradman, a baseball batter would need a career batting average of .392, while a basketball player would need to score an average of 43.0 points per game. The respective records are .366 and 30.1""

And not to mention his bodyline series shows he is not just a player, but also one of the greatest sportsman of all time.

ReputationRep:
    1. Michael Jordan
    2. Tiger Woods
    3. Roger Federer

Jordan is my top pick because there are few other such popular sports in which there is no debate about who is the greatest of all time.

Number 3 was a toss up between Federer and Messi.
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    If I had to choose, probably Usain Bolt. How he's able to run that quickly, and win olympic gold medals, I really don't know.

By the way, the "best sportsman" would probably depend on what sport(s) you're interested in.

ReputationRep:
    Ali

Also think senna should have been on the list

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by manchesterunited15)
    Title.
    Bradman, by a country mile.

Massive fail for putting "ever" in thread title, and then only including sportsmen from the past 30 years.

ReputationRep:
    I don't think a sportsman who plays in a sport which only 2 or 3 countries actually care about should count. So any American sport/cricket etc

ReputationRep:
    Me. Just give it some time.:daydreaming:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jordooooom)
    I don't think a sportsman who plays in a sport which only 2 or 3 countries actually care about should count. So any American sport/cricket etc
    American sports are popular around the world and while cricket might not be popular around the world, the population of the countries in which it is popular makes it worthy of mention.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pane123)
    American sports are popular around the world and while cricket might not be popular around the world, the population of the countries in which it is popular makes it worthy of mention.

Cricket is either the 2nd or 3rd most popular sport, depending on how you define it. It has never been out of the top 5 for the past 200 years and is unlikely to be so in our lifetimes.

Whoever suggested that its only played in 2 or 3 countries is in need of some education.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cole-slaw)
    Cricket is either the 2nd or 3rd most popular sport, depending on how you define it. It has never been out of the top 5 for the past 200 years and is unlikely to be so in our lifetimes.

Whoever suggested that its only played in 2 or 3 countries is in need of some education.
    That was my point. It's not popular in many "big" sporting nations, the USA for example, but it has a huge number of fans and should be recognised as a very popular sport.

ReputationRep:
    World Rally Champions:

2004 France Sébastien Loeb Citroën Xsara WRC
    2005 France Sébastien Loeb Citroën Xsara WRC
    2006 France Sébastien Loeb Citroën Xsara WRC
    2007 France Sébastien Loeb Citroën C4 WRC
    2008 France Sébastien Loeb Citroën C4 WRC
    2009 France Sébastien Loeb Citroën C4 WRC
    2010 France Sébastien Loeb Citroën C4 WRC
    2011 France Sébastien Loeb Citroën DS3 WRC
    2012 France Sébastien Loeb Citroën DS3 WRC

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mikeyd85)
    World Rally Champions
    Probably not popular enough. If we went only by titles then Esther Vergeer is probably the best sportsperson of all time.

ReputationRep:
    Probably not popular enough. If we went only by titles then Esther Vergeer is probably the best sportsperson of all time.
    I would say that is probably correct. Popularity should have nothing to do with this. We have facts and statistics for "Greatest Ever". :yep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mikeyd85)
    I would say that is probably correct. Popularity should have nothing to do with this. We have facts and statistics for "Greatest Ever". :yep:
    I understand your point, but I think popularity has to play some part in it. While Vergeer's achievements in wheelchair tennis are quite astonishing, she will have had fewer people to compete against than, for example, Messi or Michael Jordan.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jordooooom)
    So only 2 or 3 countries take Cricket seriously, :eek:

Well the list of the "bigger" cricket teams are (full members):
    India
    Pakistan
    Sri Lanka
    Australia
    New Zealand
    West Indies
    Bangladesh
    England
    South Africa
    Zimbabwe

There are also another 37 nations with Associate membership

Which include a few up and coming teams and established cricket teams:
    Kenya
    Ireland
    Afganistan
    UAE
    Netherlands
    ....etc

So you could say that it is mainly based in the sub-continent, australasia and then England/West Indies and South Africa respectively. However, there are still quite a few nations who are taking it "seriously".

ReputationRep:
    I understand your point, but I think popularity has to play some part in it. While Vergeer's achievements in wheelchair tennis are quite astonishing, she will have had fewer people to compete against than, for example, Messi or Michael Jordan.
    That is true and probably should be taken in to consideration - quality of field is important. This is why I vote for Loeb. He's dominated WRC, holds the record for Pikes Peak and is 3rd in WTCC in his first season of road racing. He's proven himself against the best of the best time and time again. Granted, Citroen haven't been slouches either, which does maybe make it harder to argue for a motorsports person in general, especially compared to individual athletes such as Ali.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered sport threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.