Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

B689 - Food Labelling Bill 2014 Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by redferry)
    You'd be surprised at how difficult it is to find out things like how fish and meat are sourced.
    I get that it's hard to find out where meat comes from; but it's not hard (generally) to tell if something's vegetarian or not. And the serving staff will almost definitely know the answer (and if they don't, the chef will).

I'm just concerned that making labeling compulsory will lead to less eating choices for Muslims.
    How so? It might increase choices by showing them that something is halal when they previously thought it wasn't.
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    The way I see it is declaring how an animal was killed is no different in declaring how it was raised, free-range, caged, etc. I find it confusing to see this opposed actually, especially from the left. I mean, y'all are happy to expropriate the water companies at gunpoint without compensation but as soon as we ask that consumers know what they're putting into their bodies, it's a no go?

All this is doing is taking a greater step towards better food labeling and food standards. Muslims and Jewish people can more easily find the meat they need, other groups with any deep-set objections to these meats can find the meat that they need - just this once, everybody wins.

As a consumer, I think it is incredibly important to know how my meat died, how it lived, what it contains, etc. Food labeling is one of the things where I think there's a real desperate need for strong regulation. I'm a pollo-pescetarian so I don't want to buy some chicken goujoins laced with cow brains. It's the same sort of issue: if a person believes the method of slaughter to be inhumane or does not like the idea of eating an animal that was killed in the name of a god they do not believe in or worship, then they deserve to be armed with the information to make the decision not to eat such meat.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Qwertish)
    I get that it's hard to find out where meat comes from; but it's not hard (generally) to tell if something's vegetarian or not. And the serving staff will almost definitely know the answer (and if they don't, the chef will).

How so? It might increase choices by showing them that something is halal when they previously thought it wasn't.
    Well because I think there will pressure from the right wing media for chains to stop serving halal if they are explicit about it. It's already started a bit.

ReputationRep:
    GM isn't important. There are no adverse health effects with GM food. We label it because some people don't want to eat it.

That's hardly relevant. There are some religions which require that the meat hasn't been blessed in the name of another God. There are some people who just don't want to eat religiously killed meat for whatever reasons. These people have a right to know in order to make an informed decision.
    GM is far more important than a few words said before animal is killed. Hardly anyone is opposed to eating halal meat its not really a current issue.

The minority of people who cannot eat meat that has been religiously killed should do their own research or shop at stores that explicitly say they dont. This is not a issue that needs government legislation to deal with. The more devout people who dont eat meat blessed by other religions are normally vegetarians to begin with.

Stores like Tesco which buy meat from new zealand would struggle to find out if meat is halal or not.

I see your point but I can't help but feel that it could mean people with islamophoboc tendancies/ misconceptions over halal slaughter stop using certain chains, dissuading them from using halal and limiting eating options for a sognificant section of the population.
      Why are you so focused on halal and the issues surrounding Islam, as a Jew I'm not allowed halal meat as it's been blessed by Allah not Elijah and the standards aren't the same as ours. This is a good move as I see it, it helps Jews more than Muslims.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by tehFrance)
      Why are you so focused on halal and the issues surrounding Islam, as a Jew I'm not allowed halal meat as it's been blessed by Allah not Elijah and the standards aren't the same as ours. This is a good move as I see it, it helps Jews more than Muslims.
      But do you not see how it could end up disadvantaging Muslims?

ReputationRep:
      http://www.food.gov.uk/business-indu...e#.U7xU2vldVrk

Yes it does.

It might do, but if they want to stop using certain chains because they're bigoted that's their problem. Additionally, you're saying that we should basically trick these people into eating this stuff they're not comfortable with simply by not labelling it.
      No its a serious problem given the massive problem of islamophobia we have in this country. People would only be tricked if they were told it was non halal.

I think its shocking you just want to dismiss the very real economic impact and potential security impact it would have on muslim community up and down the country. Every Time a law is passed such as changing the exam time table or reducing public sector workers we asses the impact it would have on different groups, rightly many times the impact on women who are disproportionately represented in low paid public sector jobs is analysed. So we should asses the impact this ill thought out law would have on muslims. We only label for really big stuff, mandating halal labels suggests to the public something wrong with halal meat

(Original post by Jarred)
      The way I see it is declaring how an animal was killed is no different in declaring how it was raised, free-range, caged, etc. I find it confusing to see this opposed actually, especially from the left. I mean, y'all are happy to expropriate the water companies at gunpoint without compensation but as soon as we ask that consumers know what they're putting into their bodies, it's a no go?

All this is doing is taking a greater step towards better food labeling and food standards. Muslims and Jewish people can more easily find the meat they need, other groups with any deep-set objections to these meats can find the meat that they need - just this once, everybody wins.

As a consumer, I think it is incredibly important to know how my meat died, how it lived, what it contains, etc. Food labeling is one of the things where I think there's a real desperate need for strong regulation. I'm a pollo-pescetarian so I don't want to buy some chicken goujoins laced with cow brains. It's the same sort of issue: if a person believes the method of slaughter to be inhumane or does not like the idea of eating an animal that was killed in the name of a god they do not believe in or worship, then they deserve to be armed with the information to make the decision not to eat such meat.
      How an animal is raised impacts the quality of meat a few sentences said before an animal is killed as no impact on the quality of meat. Nothing Liberal about adding another layer of labels to food. Muslims and Jews have no problem with the current system, this law proposed to stigmatise them . Individuals who have particular requirements should do their research the onus should not be on government . Do we introduce laws that force Mcdonalds to say if its food was cooked in vegetarian friendly oil ?

This has nothing to do with food standards and you get no more information about the quality of the meat from this particular piece of information. We already have free range laws to deal with that. Slaughter is inhumane by its nature it cannot be humane and halal meat is already stunned before slaughter. To we introduce laws to ban Butchers from praying whilst doing their job ? if they dont believe in a particular god then what a muslim says is pointless and has no effect.

(Original post by tehFrance)
      As a Jew you can eat kosher meat, if store does not say it sells kosher meat then you should assume it does not sell kosher. No need to find out what type of non kosher meat it is halal or non halal its still not kosher. No one is forcing jews to eat halal meat or banning jews from researching the content of meat of a supplier its just not the job of govt to do so

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by James222)
      No its a serious problem given the massive problem of islamophobia we have in this country. People would only be tricked if they were told it was non halal.
      It's rather an independent matter in my eyes. This Bill is all about increasing transparency in food production methods. Just because you think people shouldn't care about halal meat doesn't mean people don't care about it.

Some people don't want to eat halal or kosher meat. If some food isn't labelled as halal or kosher they may eat it inadvertently. Unless you're suggesting that we instead label everything that isn't halal or kosher as non-halal or non-kosher.

It really bugs me when people cry racism or islamophobia or antisemetism just because something happens to mention that religion. This Bill is none of those things. It's very simple:

If the meat is halal or kosher, tell people. Then they can decide if they want to eat it or not.

(Original post by James222)
      I think its shocking you just want to dismiss the very real economic impact and potential security impact it would have on muslim community up and down the country.
      How would it have a severe security impact? Most places already label halal meat as such, they don't get attacked by the EDL. I really think you're overestimating the amount of violent islamophobia in the country.
      • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
      These are positive reforms and will improve transparency for consumers.

I think anyone suggesting this Bill will lead to discrimination of religious groups or customs needs to get a life. Muslims and Jews are still entirely free to produce and consume halal and kosher goods - all that will change is that the status of these goods will be made totally public for the first time.

ReputationRep:
      Aye. I don't believe it needs to be labelled with religious symbols, as previously suggested, but either a small letter (like 'V' is used for vegetarian) or Halal/Kosher in brackets for menus; then have a section in (super)markets for Halal/Kosher and have it on the label, just to make it VERY clear.

ReputationRep:
      Nope, no Hindu will give a rat's arse about what you put in your mouth as long as it isn't beef. Even if it is beef most people won't care.

Aye to the Bill. It should be up to the people eating the meat to decide how they wanted it slaughtered, and this provides the with the required information.
      'no Hindu'

OK, you're clearly not an expert to anything to do with Hinduism or Hindus like everyone people on this thread (bar James).

'does it have to be blessed by a Hindu god'
      Smh...

Posted from TSR Mobile
      • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
      A cautious Aye, as long as the fines are reduced (let's get a little perspective) but that has already been mentioned and I'm sure will be dealt with.

Despite reservations I agree as the general public have the right to know what they're buying.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Jarred)
      Completely agree. Labeling food is a nice, clean, and simple way to give power to the consumer without making a product illegal. It gives consumers the choice to decide whether they want a product or not based on the most information possible. It should not be the place of a law to question whether people are justified in wanting or not wanting to eat halal meat, but instead provide the tools to allow them to make an informed descision which conforms to their beliefs.

ReputationRep:
      Aye! Although halal/kosher meat is not harmful (or more harmful than the counterparts) people have the right to know because some mind eating halal meat.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Ggmu!)
      'no Hindu'

OK, you're clearly not an expert to anything to do with Hinduism or Hindus like everyone people on this thread (bar James).

'does it have to be blessed by a Hindu god'
      Smh...

Posted from TSR Mobile
      What?

Maybe "most Hindus" would be better?...
      • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
      This is in cessation.
      • Community Assistant
      • Wiki Support Team
      • Political Ambassador
      • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
      Division! Clear the Lobbies!

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 19, 2014
  1. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

2. Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  3. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

4. The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.