Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

English Lit vs Lang AT UNIVERSITY Watch

Announcements
    • TSR Support Team
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by billy06)
    Have you ever thought about becoming a writer?

I don't think I have the right character for politics; I'm not good at pleasing everyone, or even attempting to at the least.

I want to study it because I find it interesting- the same, as you have probably figured out, goes for English.

Ahhh, what to do, what to do :/

#dont #have #the #grades #to #get #into #oxford
    Well I know a person who does English Language and Linguistics at uni and she totally hates it because she realised that it had nothing to do with A-level Language and she knows that this degree can't really get you anywhere.

It's fine to study something that you find of interest. But do you really want to walk out of uni in 3 years time, to be in 30K debt and say "studying this for three years was worth me being in 30K debt?" I know I wouldn't. It's a waste of money if you believe so. You need to pick a degree that links closely to your career path. I do feel sorry for people who go to uni, not knowing what they want to go into as a career, come out of uni still feeling the same. Then getting into a job that pays £15K a year, but it's a "job".

I know when I leave uni, I'd like to be a teacher (not straight away, want to leave education for a year or two). In the meantime, I'd like to work in publishing as in novels and editor and etc. I would want to work in a career that links closely to my degree so I can say "that was totally worth it".

You have to find a career that suits you, not what degree suits the career, otherwise what's the point? I know it must be hard not having a clue what you want to go into, but you need to make sure that being in thousands of pounds in debt will be worth it. Have you researched any political jobs? I know many politicians have Law, Philosophy and Political Science degrees so it shouldn't really be a problem if you have Lang/Lit and Politics degree. Would how far would you say that you know your degree will help you AFTER you've finished the degree?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.