Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

If a black/white man was born in China would they be Chinese? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    No

ReputationRep:
    No. Chinese citizenship is not automatically granted on birth, they would almost certainly have to take the citizenship of their parents.

Whether or not you can be considered of a certain nation is very much dependent upon the nation in question. We in the west consider you to be (for example) British if you are a) a citizen and b) integrated into the ways and cultures of that land (so for example say I were to hold dual citizenship with the UK and the US, but had never been there a day in my life I'm unsure about whether I'd consider myself as actually being american). Our laws on citizenship are in many ways influenced by our opinions on what makes somebody British. In the east it's a very different situation. Your ancestry is what defines your nationality for the most part.

ReputationRep:
    Pandas are black, white and Asian. Just saying.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ana81)
    same I'm black born and bread in the city I live in but when people ask where I'm from they are expecting me to say where my parents are from which again is England so then they ask where my family originates from to which I reply Earth.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    What's wrong with telling people your heritage from somewhere else? It doesn't make you a 'foreigner'.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by imtelling)
    If the Chinese started handing out passports like confetti, like Britain does, they would no doubt see the Chinese people becoming a minority in their own homelands, just like the white British are becoming.

The Chinese are too intelligent for that.
    Not necessarily. If they have sensible limits on immigration, they could still give passports to people who were born there without the Chinese becoming a minority. This wouldn't amount to "handing out passports like confetti".

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TK2 King Pin)
    What's wrong with telling people your heritage from somewhere else? It doesn't make you a 'foreigner'.
    LOL most white British people consider anyone of colour regardless whether they were born here, to be a foreigner.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheTranshumanist)
    Not necessarily. If they have sensible limits on immigration, they could still give passports to people who were born there without the Chinese becoming a minority. This wouldn't amount to "handing out passports like confetti".
    immigration is widely exaggerated anyway.. realistically it's more filled with Polish people and other types of European people, I used to think white Brits only hated people who weren't white but thats not true... they hate white non-British people just as much

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    If he had a Chinese passport then of course

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NathanW18)
    Ah, that conversation where people ask you where you're from.

"Where are you from?"
    "Here (England)."
    "No, where are you really from?"
    "Well, I was born here and have lived here all of my life."
    "Okay. Where are your parents from, then?"

:facepalm2:

I think it mostly depends on where you spent the majority of your time growing up. If you were born in China, but moved elsewhere and lived the majority of your life there, I wouldn't think that the person was Chinese.
    So many ethnic minorities always use that classic exchange as an example but the reality is very few people actually say that kind of stuff, this is arguably one of the most tolerant country in the world - your standard liberal teenager just doesn't say ignorant things like that, its just a stereotype which many people like to claim is commonplace when its really not. I've never heard one person ever say 'where are you REALLY from?'.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ana81)
    abroad yes but in your native country thats completely different, use your brain.. its basic logic.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Use your brain.
    Black folk aren't indigenous to the UK, are they?

At some point in history, somebody got on a boat or an aeroplane whether it was their own choice or not is another topic...

ReputationRep:
    If they had Chinese citizenship or had spent most of their lives there, then of course.

ReputationRep:
    i'm sure there has been a youtube video of this white boy in a Singaporean school. That boy developed the little nation's cocky accent :thumbdown: but at least got to speak fluent Chinese :thumbsup:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ana81)
    same I'm black born and bread in the city I live in but when people ask where I'm from they are expecting me to say where my parents are from which again is England so then they ask where my family originates from to which I reply Earth.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Say that you UKIP when they try and deport your ass.

(Original post by JC.)
    Sounds like you're just unnecessarily being a **** to people trying to show an interest in you...
    This.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kumon)
    Say that you UKIP when they try and deport your ass.

This.
    If UKIP weren't racists in disguise I would vote for them. I'm all for living in a multicultural society but there's not enough jobs for us all to have. Also sick of Muslim people spreading hate.. if you don't like England why live here?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChickenMadness)
    lol you do.
    You actually don't, my friend was born in Shanghai and she wasn't allowed a Chinese passport cause both her parents are British nationals.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Arieisit)
    Why would people ask you that? :lol: you look white enough :laugh:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Did you see my picture in the 'post a picture of yourself' thread. I'm brown lol.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Calllu-m)
    You actually don't, my friend was born in Shanghai and she wasn't allowed a Chinese passport cause both her parents are British nationals.
    as long as one of your parents is a chinese national you do though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Oschene23)
    So many ethnic minorities always use that classic exchange as an example but the reality is very few people actually say that kind of stuff, this is arguably one of the most tolerant country in the world - your standard liberal teenager just doesn't say ignorant things like that, its just a stereotype which many people like to claim is commonplace when its really not. I've never heard one person ever say 'where are you REALLY from?'.
    It's common place.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChickenMadness)
    as long as one of your parents is a chinese national you do though.
    That wasn't what you were saying. You implied anyone born in China gets a Chinese passport automatically.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Calllu-m)
    That wasn't what you were saying. You implied anyone born in China gets a Chinese passport automatically.
    but it's what I meant

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.