Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Did your parents influence your choice of university or course? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Samual)
    You have no right to expect anything at all, university, job, whatever.
    I disagree. Thanks for your comment.

ReputationRep:
    From the moment I said I wanted to do English my parents pushed me to become a doctor. They always believed that STEM subjects were the only way to get a good job. My sis wanted to be a doctor but then she couldn't get the grades and now she's doing biomedical (she's happy though ) so because I could get the AAA or whatever my parents pushed me to become a doctor and I kept on resisting and there were arguments and tears and all that stuff...

Eventually they gave up trying to change my mind (although I can tell they are still unhappy about it). Hopefully I'll be doing English at UCL in September

I guess they prevented me from choosing any kind of science? I feel like I would have considered the option more if I wasn't forced to.

ReputationRep:
    they made me not choose my favourite uni just because it was too far away

ReputationRep:
    I think my parents just want me to go to uni.

But I am such a stubborn *******, that I only want to go to Oxbridge,LSE,Warwick, Ivy Leagues, Stanford, MIT.

We'll see how that road leads.

I just want to make my parents proud.

ReputationRep:
    My parents both went to uni and throughout the whole process they didn't force me to go down any route. They came to the open days and met the lectures.
    They want me to be happy and to have a good job overall.

I chose the unis myself. Come on, exam results!!

ReputationRep:
    Please stop nitpicking - I'm interested in hearing what people have to say.

In my case, I was helped by my parents and this "investment" made a critical difference to the doors I was able to open for myself (in the end).

So.....I have tried to repeat the "virtuous circle", which to me will never end until I am no longer able.

When you are a parent, you will understand why parents do these things.
    I'm not saying it is "right" in the context of fairness, it just the way life is - if you are lucky.......

ReputationRep:
    I'd be on benefits if my parents were in control of my life and future. Thankfully, working class boy got himself in education.

ReputationRep:
    My mum wanted me to do English, I still don't know why. I dropped it at AS.. so no.
    • Community Assistant
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Parent_help)
    Please stop nitpicking - I'm interested in hearing what people have to say.

In my case, I was helped by my parents and this "investment" made a critical difference to the doors I was able to open for myself (in the end).

So.....I have tried to repeat the "virtuous circle", which to me will never end until I am no longer able.

When you are a parent, you will understand why parents do these things.
    I'm not saying it is "right" in the context of fairness, it just the way life is - if you are lucky.......
    I'm loathed to reply to such a post. I don't know why you're accusing me of 'nitpicking' since I did no such thing. My post is not hindering this discussion in any way so please do not tell me where and what I can post.

Whether you were helped by your parents or not is neither here nor there. I have already given my opinion on this issue - if you missed it, here it is again; no parent (in my view) has the right to expect anything in return for providing their child with a private education. It makes no sense, how can you possibly hold someone to an obligation if they didn't agree to it in the first place? Feel free to disagree with me all you like.

ReputationRep:
    Given that university applications are a massive part of my job, obviously my kids avoided any advice I could give them, as is most often the way with teachers' kids. I asked them if they could find it in their hearts to choose somewhere that didn't involve me having to drive through the eternal traffic jam that is Birmingham and the M6, and bless them, they both did.

ReputationRep:
    No influence at all, I chose the subject and universities. They do give banter on the Universities i have chosen, purely because my firm is only 3 hours away whereas my insurance is over 7 hours, but they have no influence whatsoever.

ReputationRep:
    Dad: Cardiff is the best, Cambridge is rubbish.

Lol no. Shut up.

ReputationRep:
    My dad went to Oxford as so encouraged me to apply there. Though for the degree I want to do, I would have always applied to Oxford even if he hadn't encouraged me to, as it is one of the best for the course imo. In terms of my other 4 choices, my parents have said they don't mind (and they haven't chosen any for me), but they have said that they expect me to go to a reputable university considering the fact that they've spent a lot of money on my education over the last 12 years, which is fair enough.

ReputationRep:
    The only real expectation they had was that I applied for a Russel Group uni

ReputationRep:
    Not really. I mean I did ask them for advice and discuss things but I was mostly influenced by the Universities and courses themselves.

Although I have motivated myself, I sort of wish my parents had encouraged me to aim higher at a younger age. By that I mean my parents have never pressured me in the slightest way in regards to getting certain grades, etc.
    Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    My parents won't let me live on campus, so that effected my university choices. They also are against the idea of me doing an arts degree so that was off limits too :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    This is quite funny, she's a human being thus implying she should be something just by the very definition

People have no expectations of pets, for example,i'd be happy if all my cat did was lick its ******* and sleep all day

But for people, my friends, acquaintances, or random strangers there exists an expectation of them however small. Based upon their clothes, voice, the area you seem them in, expectation is like a subconcious thing we most of us do.

I'd expect your going through a rebellious phase in life lol

As you were mate

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shooks)
    If you're at uni or currently in the application process, how much influence did your parents have on your decision?

Did you talk to them about where you were planning to apply to - or the course you were thinking of doing?

Did they have more influence on you than other people - such as your teachers and careers adviser? If so, what advice did they give you?

Personally, I don't really remember talking to my folks about this at all - I think I was pretty much left to get on with it.
    I was definitely influenced by my parents... and other people I guess... and I heavily regret it.

Listening to parents can be good, but only if it's doing good for you. If you know you want to go into medicine and your parents are successful doctors then listening to them would be a good idea. If you are trying to get into, I don't know, fashion, which your parents don't know anything about, then maybe get advice from people who are knowledgable in that field.

But mostly, go with your instinct, because that's more important than anything that anyone else says.
    • Community Assistant
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by diggy)
    This is quite funny, she's a human being thus implying she should be something just by the very definition

People have no expectations of pets, for example,i'd be happy if all my cat did was lick its ******* and sleep all day

But for people, my friends, acquaintances, or random strangers there exists an expectation of them however small. Based upon their clothes, voice, the area you seem them in, expectation is like a subconcious thing we most of us do.

I'd expect your going through a rebellious phase in life lol

As you were mate

Posted from TSR Mobile
    :lolwut:

There's quite a bit of difference between the normal, day-to-day expectations people have of each other and expecting your child to do a particular kind of job, which may impact the rest of their lives - if you can't appreciate the difference then you're not worth replying to. I've never been the rebellious type. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    well I obviously told them what I was applying for and where, but they didn't really influence my decisions much. Probably helped that there wasn't much choice to begin with, since only seven universities do my course I didn't have to do much narrowing down

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.