Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

JK Rowling writes new 1,500 word Harry Potter story Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tengentoppa)
    These are opinions, not facts. Besides which, legislation is in place to prevent prejudice, and I don't see how one's sexuality would be relevant in the office.
    No child they are facts.. Most CEOs are conservative.
    Like I said it is all about connections at that level and if people have a problem with your orientation than that is one less connection that you have. I think that it is less about the office and more about the golf course.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Magic.space)
    After reading all of the posts so far, I have one question that I think everyone should consider, (please don't reply to the first part of this post, it's just something I observed)

The Question:

Why are you all focusing on Dumbledore, who died in book 6, when the actual story that JK wrote was about the Potters and Quiddich World Cup?

I fully embrace the fact that if people feel that they want to have a relationship with someone of the same gender, they should go for it. My only problem is when they say that they are a member of a religion that strictly preaches against it, because personally I think that you are betraying your religion.

Harry Potter is an amazing series of books and films, and the people that try to pick holes through the plots of each book need to remember that no book is perfect, and that they should respect the fact that whilst they might not like Harry Potter millions of people do, and should keep quite, as we don't judge you on the books that you read.
    If you are talking about Christianity a LOT of people do not believe that it is against homosexuality, but it is all about interpretations of the bible

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by slg60)
    No child they are facts.. Most CEOs are conservative.
    Like I said it is all about connections at that level and if people have a problem with your orientation than that is one less connection that you have. I think that it is less about the office and more about the golf course.
    Your claims have no basis in fact. If a person is good at their job they will be promoted, regardless of age, gender, race or sexual orientation. That's the beauty of business.

If a gay person doesn't rise to the top of the business, they have only themselves to blame. The prejudice card is just a pitiful excuse.

ReputationRep:
    Your claims have no basis in fact. If a person is good at their job they will be promoted, regardless of age, gender, race or sexual orientation. That's the beauty of business.

If a gay person doesn't rise to the top of the business, they have only themselves to blame. The prejudice card is just a pitiful excuse.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=13LbCGwK5_U

The fact that most CEOs will not be outed because it will hinder there career sort of backs up my claims... Even Tim Cook would not come out! FROM A COMPANY THAT STARTED OUT WITH THIS AS THEIR LOGO:

Basically this means that in order to do well in business you have to stay closeted, meaning that this is simply not true, sorry.

While we are at it your comment about race, also untrue: http://money.cnn.com/2012/03/22/news...ies/black-ceo/

Same is true for your statement about sex:http://www.forbes.com/sites/quickerb...er-become-ceo/

"less than 3% of our largest companies have female leaders"

You simply could not be more wrong I am sorry that you are ignorant.
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Observatory)
    Grey hairs at 33 seems a little unusual. Perhaps Rowling has a problem?
    Who?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by slg60)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=13LbCGwK5_U

The fact that most CEOs will not be outed because it will hinder there career sort of backs up my claims... Even Tim Cook would not come out! FROM A COMPANY THAT STARTED OUT WITH THIS AS THEIR LOGO:

Basically this means that in order to do well in business you have to stay closeted, meaning that this is simply not true, sorry.

While we are at it your comment about race, also untrue: http://money.cnn.com/2012/03/22/news...ies/black-ceo/

Same is true for your statement about sex:http://www.forbes.com/sites/quickerb...er-become-ceo/

"less than 3% of our largest companies have female leaders"

You simply could not be more wrong I am sorry that you are ignorant.
    Why would they need to "come out". Is their sexuality going to impact on their work? Not in the slightest, it's entirely irrelevant.

It's like saying more CEOs should come out as having erectile dysfunction. It's a private matter and they don't need to be outed.

And you appear to relate rainbows to being gay. Some of my gay friends would find that rather insulting. It sounds to me that you are the homophobe.

And as for there being a dearth of black and female CEOs. Women are less likely to go into business and will often take a back-seat in their career in order to have a family. And with black people less likely to go to university, it's little wonder less become CEOs.

I'm sorry that you have a victim complex.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BenAssirati)
    The less we know about Dumbledore as a human being, the better. To me he was always more of an ideal and less of a wizard. He epitomized wisdom and incorruptibility, and was really representative of everything good in magic, with Voldemort being his opposite (and Grindlewald somewhere between). Giving him a clear sexuality just ruins it by bringing him down to our level, and making him less of a legend, more of a human.
    I like Dumbledore being presented as a human. Him being gay is hardly what humanises him. What humanises him is his past: not taking care of his sister, being power hungry etc. So having known all that, how was he still incorruptible in your eyes?

ReputationRep:
    Why would they need to "come out". Is their sexuality going to impact on their work? Not in the slightest, it's entirely irrelevant.

It's like saying more CEOs should come out as having erectile dysfunction. It's a private matter and they don't need to be outed.

And you appear to relate rainbows to being gay. Some of my gay friends would find that rather insulting. It sounds to me that you are the homophobe.

And as for there being a dearth of black and female CEOs. Women are less likely to go into business and will often take a back-seat in their career in order to have a family. And with black people less likely to go to university, it's little wonder less become CEOs.

I'm sorry that you have a victim complex.
    Maybe they want to come out so they don't have to live a lie.. I mean that's a possibility.

Oh f*** off, obviously I am not the homophobe, I would be HIGHLY surprised if you had any gay friends. It sounds remarkably like the "I'm not racist I have a black friend!". They would not find it insulting given that rainbows symbolize all inclusive and LGBT culture.

That apple logo was supposed to symbolize gay pride so it is not insulting.

It is partly that but it is also the conservatism of CEOs and the golf course mentality.
    Why should it be that blacks are less likely to go to university?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by slg60)
    Maybe they want to come out so they don't have to live a lie.. I mean that's a possibility.

Oh f*** off, obviously I am not the homophobe, I would be HIGHLY surprised if you had any gay friends. It sounds remarkably like the "I'm not racist I have a black friend!". They would not find it insulting given that rainbows symbolize all inclusive and LGBT culture.

That apple logo was supposed to symbolize gay pride so it is not insulting.

It is partly that but it is also the conservatism of CEOs and the golf course mentality.
    Why should it be that blacks are less likely to go to university?
    The 2 things I've highlighted are a complete joke. It's akin to having a "brunette culture" or "ginger pride". Why would you be proud of something you can't control? It's cringeworthy really.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BenAssirati)
    It really was not clear. It was inferred, but since I (and most) people read the novels as young children, I wasn't exactly looking out for, or even aware, of the sexual aspects of books and characters.

Besides, she announced it in an interview, which was then plastered all over the news and the internet. And I never said she was ruining it by writing more, I never even mentioned that. Yes, this thread is about that, but I was talking specifically about the sexuality aspect as mentioned by one commenter. Don't get angry, and don't think your view is the only one that counts.
    I was relatively young when I read the 7th novel as well; I only realised that it was blatantly implied when I read the book a few years later, and I still don't get how knowing Dumbledore's sexuality changes people's views of the books.

The second paragraph wasn't directed at you - it was directed at a few other posts that I've seen. My opinions aren't the only ones that matter, or are even the "right" ones, but it doesn't stop other opinions being stupid.

ReputationRep:
    The 2 things I've highlighted are a complete joke. It's akin to having a "brunette culture" or "ginger pride". Why would you be proud of something you can't control? It's cringeworthy really.
    I agree it is silly to be proud of something beyond your control, but I think it is to celebrate being out, therefore beyond the years of hiding. However the culture aspect is complete called for you have sports culture and such.

However, having said that I think that you are basically admitting you are in the wrong if you have to play these games.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Scienceisgood)
    Dumbledore being gay ruined the books?
    How?
    Because it killed off the sexual tension between him and Mcgonagall.
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    :crazy::crazy::crazy::crazy::crazy::crazy::crazy::crazy::crazy::crazy::crazy::crazy::crazy::crazy::crazy::crazy::crazy::crazy::crazy::crazy::crazy::crazy::crazy::crazy::crazy::crazy::crazy::crazy::crazy::crazy::crazy::crazy::crazy::crazy::crazy::crazy::crazy::crazy::crazy::crazy::crazy::crazy::crazy::crazy::crazy::crazy::crazy::crazy::crazy::crazy::crazy::crazy::crazy::crazy::crazy::crazy::crazy::crazy::crazy::crazy::crazy::crazy::crazy::crazy::crazy::crazy::crazy::crazy::crazy::crazy::crazy::crazy::crazy::crazy::crazy::crazy::crazy::crazy::crazy::crazy::crazy::crazy::crazy::crazy::crazy::crazy::crazy::crazy::crazy::crazy:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Numberwang)
    JK Rowling has written a new 1,500-word Harry Potter story on her website Pottermore.

Harry has a cut above his eye and grey hair, Ron's hair has thinned, Hermoine's hair has suffered some kind of decline.

Do we need to know any more? Should JK Rowling be writing more about the Harry Potter characters or do we know enough?

Reading all of this is personally ruining my memories of the books, like when Rowling revealed Dumbledore's sexuality
    DUMBLEDORE WAS GAY?!?
    I've read all the books where did it say that?!
    • Reporter Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AdamCee)
    DUMBLEDORE WAS GAY?!?
    I've read all the books where did it say that?!
    In a media interview I think...certainly wasn't in the book, that's my point. She revealed Dumbledore had a thing for/fling with Gellert Grindelwald, irrc

ReputationRep:
    In a media interview I think...certainly wasn't in the book, that's my point. She revealed Dumbledore had a thing for/fling with Gellert Grindelwald, irrc
    Oohhh yea see that sort of thing annoys me.

Not cos he's gay, that after the books in an interview she's revealing extra details about the story. If she put it in the books then fine, but yea I see your point

ReputationRep:
    JK Rowling has written a new 1,500-word Harry Potter story on her website Pottermore.

Harry has a cut above his eye and grey hair, Ron's hair has thinned, Hermoine's hair has suffered some kind of decline.

Do we need to know any more? Should JK Rowling be writing more about the Harry Potter characters or do we know enough?

Reading all of this is personally ruining my memories of the books, like when Rowling revealed Dumbledore's sexuality
    Milking it for what it's worth, her other books were dreadfully boring.

ReputationRep:
    Seriously shocked at some of the responses on here.

Thinking about the Harry Potter 'world' obviously makes J.K. Rowling happy - if it didn't she would've stopped long ago. Good for her for doing what she wants to do.

When you pick up a book - or short story - by an author, they are inviting you to read their work, often because there is something they would like people to take away from it afterwards (whether its just 'fun' or something deeper). Please respect the fact they are sharing something with you, when they could easily just keep in private.

You do not have to pick up/read/listen to them talk about their work. And you certainly aren't 'entitled' to have them shut up the second a book series has ended - because you like things to be left in a certain way.

If you don't like something in their work, that is absolutely fine. There is no point, however, holding a grudge against someone saying they 'ruined it' or whatever when there are plenty other things to read and there are still probably plenty of things you did like in the series.

ReputationRep:
    why has this thread turned into a debate about dumbledore's sexuality. it's honestly ridiculous. him being gay doesn't ruin the story, but I agree, it shouldn't have been mentioned outside of the books. If she wanted to say he was gay, it should've been done within the books and not in an interview!! Anyway, if you look at the title, you'll see it's about the 1,500 word Harry Potter story she wrote. Anyone else surprised at how Harry, Ron and Hermione seem to be ageing so badly when they're only in their early 30s...:confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheTechN1304)
    Anyone else surprised at how Harry, Ron and Hermione seem to be ageing so badly when they're only in their early 30s...:confused:
    I think George (and Ron's) joke shop sells ageing products, which he regularly uses on them when they have publuc appearances

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.