Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

How much money will you have at your disposal? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shahbaz)
    Nice, Im guessing the internships were in finance.
    Yep, money for nothing

Saying that I have alot more than £10k in student loans so I'm sort of keeping that back to cover those.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zürich)
    Yep, money for nothing

Saying that I have alot more than £10k in student loans so I'm sort of keeping that back to cover those.
    Oh, im just curious what areas of finance were they in and companys and how hard was it to get in?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shahbaz)
    Oh, im just curious what areas of finance were they in and companys and how hard was it to get in?
    Front office Sales and Trading at top 5 banks.

Very hard is the short answer(1% of applicants I think are made offers IIRC), but there are many other internships which are much less competitive and pay very well too
    • Reporter Team

ReputationRep:
    £2400 loan
    paying £125pm "keep" to my parents, probably £250pm on fuel.
    I'm already looking for a summer job and I'm not even back in the UK yet!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zürich)
    Front office Sales and Trading at top 5 banks.

Very hard is the short answer(1% of applicants I think are made offers IIRC), but there are many other internships which are much less competitive and pay very well too
    To get in what is preference placed on do you think, university, experiance or how well you do at interview?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tearteto)
    the beauties of coming from a poor family
    £7249 from loan and grant.
    If i get my firm then 3k university "poor people's bursary" (I call it that, it has a name) if insurance, then 2.5k
    accomodation payments aside it works out to between £60 (firm catered) or £100 (insurance, uncatered) either with en suite
    good times...

Poor people five! *high fives*

ReputationRep:
    After I pay my rent I'll have about £40/month left over. Thankfully my parents are helping out (paying around £100) and I'm working right now to put away some savings. Hopefully I can save around £1000 by September.

ReputationRep:
    I get 5.5 k maintenance and the 9k for tuition

ReputationRep:
    I get the full £7249 ^-^

...but I feel guilty about it

ReputationRep:
    i Make about £90 k a year ( £50k tax free)

so 25k spend, 10k cash isa, 10k shares

so about £2000 a month

Got a grad job so will earn £21k after tax+£25k side income

so taking a pay cut and working twice the hours LOL

ReputationRep:
    £7,249
    1k bursary from the uni
    around £2,000 left over from last yr
    £1,500 I'll earn from working over the summer.
    I'm also considering doing a bit of part time work although I doubt I'll really need to.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jack XY)
    £7,249
    1k bursary from the uni
    around £2,000 left over from last yr
    £1,500 I'll earn from working over the summer.
    I'm also considering doing a bit of part time work although I doubt I'll really need to.
    Same here. I'm thinking of part time work at uni but I don't think I need to. But I have an idea. I'll get a job anyway. Like 8 hours a week around about. Then if I really enjoy it, there's no harm in continuing and if I don't like it, I can quit. The important thing is to look early cause a lot of jobs have gone soon after beginning.

What's your summer job?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by VladThe1mpaler)
    After I pay my rent I'll have about £40/month left over. Thankfully my parents are helping out (paying around £100) and I'm working right now to put away some savings. Hopefully I can save around £1000 by September.
    Yeah. I was like 40 a month is too less. After rent. At least 25 a week on food alone, considering you'll cook your meals. Then monthly phone bill. Then anything extra on nights out.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hitashami)
    Same here. I'm thinking of part time work at uni but I don't think I need to. But I have an idea. I'll get a job anyway. Like 8 hours a week around about. Then if I really enjoy it, there's no harm in continuing and if I don't like it, I can quit. The important thing is to look early cause a lot of jobs have gone soon after beginning.

What's your summer job?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I'm working as a receptionist and doing admin in a GP surgery. I also do tutoring on the weekends.

Yeah same I don't plan on doing anymore than 10 hours a week. I've already applied for some starting in September.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HaQ_mAn_)
    £7249 from the government (Loan+Bursary, I get the max amount)

About £3000 - £4000 saved up from working
    Hey I also get the maximum amount but I'm getting £7417 which is a bit more than you which is strange, though last year I got £7343 despite my household income being exactly the same this year as it was last year.

Student finance is confusing :') Though I'm not complaining lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zowidi)
    I get the full £7249 ^-^

...but I feel guilty about it
    You're the second person I've seen now saying that £7249 is the maximum so I'm super confused as to why I'm getting £7417 >.< and I got £7343 last year.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SophieSmall)
    You're the second person I've seen now saying that £7249 is the maximum so I'm super confused as to why I'm getting £7417 >.< and I got £7343 last year.
    I think £7249 is the maximum loan and grant that can be given by student finance for a student leaving home with no dependents and no disability but £100+ can be added to the total by your university if your course lasts longer than average courses, meaning you'll need more money than others since you'll be staying longer, like 3 more weeks than the average course length for example! I don't know if this is your case but that's what I've been told... Other than that I have no idea ^-^

ReputationRep:
    I think £7249 is the maximum loan and grant that can be given by student finance for a student leaving home with no dependents and no disability but £100+ can be added to the total by your university if your course lasts longer than average courses, meaning you'll need more money than others since you'll be staying longer, like 3 more weeks than the average course length for example! I don't know if this is your case but that's what I've been told... Other than that I have no idea ^-^
    huh well that's odd, my letter of entitlement definitely said 7417, and my course is no longer than usual.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SophieSmall)
    huh well that's odd, my letter of entitlement definitely said 7417, and my course is no longer than usual.
    It is, I'm completely baffled to be honest *-* I guess you're the exception

ReputationRep:
    It is, I'm completely baffled to be honest *-* I guess you're the exception
    I hope it's not a mistake and they demand I pay it back early.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
    How much money do you spend a week?The ultimate guide to tax!Guide to student bank accounts

Sponsored features:

Web Legend

Win a Macbook Air!

Blog about setting up a website for a chance to win in our Web Legend competition.

Quick link:

Unanswered money and finance threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.