Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Is it possible for Liverpool to finish 4th this season? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jam278)
    So then is Daniel Sturridge a top player?

Who arguably has had at least 30 months in his career where he's been in world class form?
    Yeah you'd have to say he is.

But their attack was fundamentally built around Suarez, you cant say they wont be less threatening.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    So then is Daniel Sturridge a top player?

Who arguably has had at least 30 months in his career where he's been in world class form?
    Yes, but what happens when he inevitably gets injured? He's missed 19 league games through injury in the past two seasons. Lambert isn't good enough for a Champions League chasing side and Markovic is a bit of an unknown quantity.

(Original post by Isambard Kingdom Brunel)
    Liverpool? Best history?
    Manchester United are, historically speaking, the best team domestically. Liverpool are the best team internationally.

There's actually so much bull**** being spouted about United's signings. They get a decent midfielder they overpaid for and overpay for a LB and they're suddenly getting Vidal because Juve are buying a guy to put on their bench.
    I don't disagree with you there.

(Original post by Eloades11)
    I also expect City to drop in form this season, unless they carry out their usual tactics of bringing big names during the summer. If Yaya leaves, it'll be a big loss but I don't think it will affect them too much. Not as much as Suarez leaving Liverpool or Bale leaving Spurs.
    Elaborate? If they bring in a proper CB to partner Kompany they'll be favourites for the title again imo.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    I think fourth place is a straight shoot-out between United and Liverpool. Can't see Everton/Tottenham challenging this year to be honest.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tengentoppa)
    Midfield: Crap. Very little creativity, and Herrera is a defensive player so that won't help. Kagawa has been a huge disappointment.
    Herrera is not defensive, he played attacking midfield as much as he did CM last season.

Wingers: Valencia is a one-trick pony, Nani rarely plays anymore and the less said about Young the better.
    Januzaj?

Strikers: RVP is getting on, failed last season and had a disappointing WC after the first game. Welbeck is average and Hernandez doesn't get a game.
    He didn't fail at all, he was just injured a lot.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by manchesterunited15)

If he's on the treatment table, he's useless. And you can flip a coin on him being entirely fit this season...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zürich)
    If he's on the treatment table, he's useless. And you can flip a coin on him being entirely fit this season...
    You're right, but if tengentoppa meant he's injury prone he would've said that.

ReputationRep:
    Only 4th- not very ambitious then.

ReputationRep:
    Damn straight.

Typical Mancunian ..... Spurs? A top team bahahahahahaa

ReputationRep:
    Herrera is not defensive, he played attacking midfield as much as he did CM last season.

Januzaj?

All that notwithstanding, United aren't guaranteed top 3. Herrera is good, but he's nowhere near as good as someone like Kroos. And the defence is is still awful.

With Sanchez joining Arsenal and Liverpool getting £75m, I wouldn't rule either team out yet.

ReputationRep:
    **** fourth,

we go again.

ReputationRep:
    All that notwithstanding, United aren't guaranteed top 3. Herrera is good, but he's nowhere near as good as someone like Kroos. And the defence is is still awful.

With Sanchez joining Arsenal and Liverpool getting £75m, I wouldn't rule either team out yet.
    I agree, I don't think we're guaranteed top 3 at all. We'll be fighting for 4th with Liverpool, and should get it as we currently have a better squad and less games to play. But yeah there's plenty of time to go and they could make a few signings.

ReputationRep:
    Chelsea and City to battle for 1st and 2nd.

Liverpool and Arsenal battle for 3rd and 4th.

5. Man U

Everton and Spurs battle for 6th and 7th.

ReputationRep:
    It's almost like there isn't the best part of a month to go to buy players.

ReputationRep:
    Too early to say. When the season starts and the window closes, we'll be in a better position to see where each team is. I doubt any team has finished their spending.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    With Liverpool getting £75m, I wouldn't rule either team out yet.
    They've spent it on Lallana, Lambert, Origi, Can & Markovic. None of those names will strike fear into anyone.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sr90)
    They've spent it on Lallana, Lambert, Origi, Can & Markovic. None of those names will strike fear into anyone.
    You think Henderson and Coutinho stroke fear into anyone? Can't judge until we see them kick a ball.

ReputationRep:
    I agree with sr90 that teams looking at our team sheet won't be terrified but we play well as a team (even without Suarez) so if we perform for half a season or two, that fear and reputation will develop.

ReputationRep:
    The really funny thing is, a lot of you idiots actually believe Liverpool were a one man team last season. Sterling was by far our best player in the second half of the season, and without Suarez it just leaves space for other players to step up. We have, without a doubt, some of the best young players in the country, ridiculously talented, brilliantly arrogant and ambition. A lot of you have next to no knowledge of football at all.

We didn't come second last year because of our defence, it was because of a lack of depth within our squad - thats going to change.

LFC will prevail

ReputationRep:
    Depends on the defence. Last season Liverpool appeared trying to copy Derby County's 1975 title win.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sr90)
    Yes, but what happens when he inevitably gets injured? He's missed 19 league games through injury in the past two seasons. Lambert isn't good enough for a Champions League chasing side and Markovic is a bit of an unknown quantity.
    We need to remember that Sturridge has gone from relatively little first team football at Chelsea(for nearly a period of 12 months) to constant first team action at Liverpool.

We also need to remember that Sturridge has not even had a proper pre season at Liverpool as of yet, he then get's drafted in ahead of schedule to play their first few games. Give him an actual pre season but I can see Sturridge being relatively injury free. You don't go from little first team action to playing every game without fail. He also was carrying an injury initially when he went to Liverpool. He actually has rarely been fully fit for Liverpool if you consider that he's been rushed back from injury every time for Liverpool as of so far.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.