Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Okkefac)
    I want to do further maths next year, but my school only allows like 1 or 2 year 13s to do AS further maths, and like 4 people have applied to do it, so I might not be allowed :/
    The entry requirements are AAA, D: They were AAB for aaages (for hte bachelor's, I want to do a master's, but I doubt I can get A*AA) but then last minute suddenly they changed to AAA ; ;
    That's so unfair! Can you self teach? That's what I'm doing...yeah AAA is my highest, although I'm aiming to get higher than that. Nottingham quite like A*AA so I might aim for that too

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lightningdoritos)
    That's so unfair! Can you self teach? That's what I'm doing...yeah AAA is my highest, although I'm aiming to get higher than that. Nottingham quite like A*AA so I might aim for that too
    I'm going to self teach A2 further maths (and possibly AS If I have to) during a gap year if I don't get into Birmingham on my first try. After that if I still fail to get in, I'll aim lower.
    The thing is, I think I can get AA or A*A, but my third subject is horrible, and I think I will be lucky to even get a B in it at A2 :/ So I could have like A*AC or A*AB, yet I doubt I can get AAA. :/

ReputationRep:
    Hi!

Been a while since I posted on here lol
    I honestly think I'll be resitting my Core 2 (AQA) and either or both of my Chemistry ones.
    I do: Maths, Chemistry, English Language and Classical Civilisation
    Want to apply for: Law

I hope I got an A in Maths, A in English, A in Chemistry and a B in Classics, but that's wishful thinking! Good luck! x

ReputationRep:
    I'm going to self teach A2 further maths (and possibly AS If I have to) during a gap year if I don't get into Birmingham on my first try. After that if I still fail to get in, I'll aim lower.
    The thing is, I think I can get AA or A*A, but my third subject is horrible, and I think I will be lucky to even get a B in it at A2 :/ So I could have like A*AC or A*AB, yet I doubt I can get AAA. :/
    I think you should just aim lower on the first try for your insurance? But omg same here I am possibly taking history A2 and I know I'm gonna fail so even if I get an A* in maths, I will probs only get A*AB or A*AC which will be awful

ReputationRep:
    I think you should just aim lower on the first try for your insurance? But omg same here I am possibly taking history A2 and I know I'm gonna fail so even if I get an A* in maths, I will probs only get A*AB or A*AC which will be awful
    I don't mind doing a gap year, really, so I'll probably just take one if I don't get a good grade in chemistry. I would continue with biology, which I could get an A in, but you have to go on a stupid field trip and pay £400 at my school which I disagree with, also essays D:
    Cardiff for maths allows AAB/A*AC which is nice You could consider that, maybe?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by iJess)
    Yes I did. Thought the exam went ok but I didn't have a clue what a shoulder period was so I guessed. Yes we've started planning our trip to Edinburgh and I'm doing the guided tour coursework right now. What about you?
    I thought it went quite well and yeh guessed that question too. We're planning an overseas residential in Venice, so looking forward to it as I've never been before How did you find the coursework for AS?

ReputationRep:
    I don't mind doing a gap year, really, so I'll probably just take one if I don't get a good grade in chemistry. I would continue with biology, which I could get an A in, but you have to go on a stupid field trip and pay £400 at my school which I disagree with, also essays D:
    Cardiff for maths allows AAB/A*AC which is nice You could consider that, maybe?
    Well I suppose it gives you time to add more stuff on your application
    I saw that too, is it a good uni though? I'm not sure

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 08boothc)
    I thought it went quite well and yeh guessed that question too. We're planning an overseas residential in Venice, so looking forward to it as I've never been before How did you find the coursework for AS?
    Aw wow that sounds awesome Are you doing the guided tour too? We can't go abroad as it would cost too much and then we'd have to add on top of that the costs of additional insurance to go abroad. I have the UK insurance form and if an accidental death occurs the insurance pays out £7,500 But the pay out is £50,000 if you lose a limb lmao. We're taking year 7 kids to edinburgh 4 days - edinburgh zoo, castle, hard rock cafe, art galleries, optical illusion museums, pizza hut buffets every night, bowling and our guided tour will be done whilst we're on the trip, they only pay £200 for the trip though each.

I think the AS coursework went really well. Did you do the destinations one? I did Malaga for my short haul and New York for long haul. There was a lot to cover in the coursework though, as can be expected.

ReputationRep:
    Well I suppose it gives you time to add more stuff on your application
    I saw that too, is it a good uni though? I'm not sure
    Yeah. Ugh, I'm fearing starting my personal statement, I have literally no extra curricular activities ._.
    Well, it's a Russell group uni, so it's got to be good at least No idea what it's like though, they had an open day in April, which is ridiculously early, and was during school time, so I didn't go to it (also I doubted I would've applied there anyway).

ReputationRep:
    Yeah. Ugh, I'm fearing starting my personal statement, I have literally no extra curricular activities ._.
    Well, it's a Russell group uni, so it's got to be good at least No idea what it's like though, they had an open day in April, which is ridiculously early, and was during school time, so I didn't go to it (also I doubted I would've applied there anyway).
    I've started my personal statement but I've seen other people who are applying to maths at top unis and they've done loads of competitions and stuff

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by coolgamer)
    As results what are you expecting to get? And what course are you going to apply for?
    Results: no idea but hoping for aaaa or aabb
    Course: English lit and creative writing or English lang and creative writing

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I've started my personal statement but I've seen other people who are applying to maths at top unis and they've done loads of competitions and stuff
    Oh damn, really?
    I did the maths challenge four years, but that's it ._. and I was young when I did them (before A levels).

ReputationRep:
    I'm expected to get AAAB.
    What I want is ABB (or BBB maybe)
    What will happen: BBB - BCC

Thankfully, I've already got one A in French (I did it in Year 11). And I will picking this up again in September, so it will hopefully raise my grades for A2.

I'm a little concerned about a few exams I took, especially my Spanish oral (C grade I think). But the good news is that I can take it again next year with practically no added effort. The beauty of languages as subjects :')

Good luck to everyone by the way!

ReputationRep:
    Oh damn, really?
    I did the maths challenge four years, but that's it ._. and I was young when I did them (before A levels).
    Yeah I did a few as well but I've never done anything huge that's maths related sigh

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by iJess)
    Aw wow that sounds awesome Are you doing the guided tour too? We can't go abroad as it would cost too much and then we'd have to add on top of that the costs of additional insurance to go abroad. I have the UK insurance form and if an accidental death occurs the insurance pays out £7,500 But the pay out is £50,000 if you lose a limb lmao. We're taking year 7 kids to edinburgh 4 days - edinburgh zoo, castle, hard rock cafe, art galleries, optical illusion museums, pizza hut buffets every night, bowling and our guided tour will be done whilst we're on the trip, they only pay £200 for the trip though each.

I think the AS coursework went really well. Did you do the destinations one? I did Malaga for my short haul and New York for long haul. There was a lot to cover in the coursework though, as can be expected.
    No I don't think we have to, just market it for our target market (Year 13 hospitality students) and our school is paying travel insurance (good job or I might have to pay £50,000 for a new limb ahaha ). Ours is only going to cost £200 too we've used budget airlines etc to keep costs down and most of the attractions are free in Venice Yours sounds really good too, I bet they'll like the pizza every evening

The coursework was good and quite easy to get good marks compared to other subjects. We did Alicante and New York, didn't like the maps though but somehow seemed to get full marks on them ahaha. What grade did you get on your coursework ?

ReputationRep:
    I've been predicted AAAA, which is what I really want! Hoping for between AAAA-AABB..it depends on how the exams went, I do mostly essay-writing subjects so it's difficult to tell.

I'm studying History, English Literature, Spanish & Psychology. I thought all of my exams went well and I worked really hard for them, so hopefully things should go to plan!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 08boothc)
    No I don't think we have to, just market it for our target market (Year 13 hospitality students) and our school is paying travel insurance (good job or I might have to pay £50,000 for a new limb ahaha ). Ours is only going to cost £200 too we've used budget airlines etc to keep costs down and most of the attractions are free in Venice Yours sounds really good too, I bet they'll like the pizza every evening

The coursework was good and quite easy to get good marks compared to other subjects. We did Alicante and New York, didn't like the maps though but somehow seemed to get full marks on them ahaha. What grade did you get on your coursework ?
    aw we're doing event management and guided tour for year 13. That sounds good I've been to Alicante! Actually don't know what I got on coursework but my teacher marked it and said it was the top band then when the marks were confirmed my teacher said I'll be pleased with what I've got so 11 days till I find out

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.