Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Whats your opinion on ... Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by anosmianAcrimony)
    They wouldn't learn their lesson if they were dead, either, and plenty of them would be.
    Got any other proposals to save the number of free hospital beds?

ReputationRep:
    no they shouldn't but drawing the line of what is a 'choice' and what isn't is impossible

as others have said alcohol and smoking seem clear cut, but what about those with mental health problems or those who are underage and deemed unable to make the choice about alcohol, what about obesity... are you going to treat someone with heart disease who smokes or is obese but has a family history, you can't determine if it was their fault or not

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by No Man)
    Got any other proposals to save the number of free hospital beds?
    Raise taxes on the rich, cut military funding, buy more free hospital beds.

I guess that isn't actually saving the number of free hospital beds but w/e.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tengentoppa)
    They're certainly not victims, and they should pay for their treatment.
    Wait until you feel desperate :')

ReputationRep:
    Mental health isn't a choice, it is isn't laziness or an excuse to take drugs, lay in bed

Nightworld1066

ReputationRep:
    Interesting comments from everyone. So what do you think about the NHS not doing enough to prevent or slow down the rise of these diseases? what do you think could be done better?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hajs)
    Interesting comments from everyone. So what do you think about the NHS not doing enough to prevent or slow down the rise of these diseases? what do you think could be done better?
    Both alcohol consumption and smoking are decreasing every year thanks to massive campaigns by the government. The only real threat we have left is obesity. And the only real way to combat this is reducing the price of healthy food and taxing unhealthy food like cigarettes or alcohol.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hajs)
    mmm, i think im trying to focus more on smoking and alcohol related diseasess..
    Believe it or not, drinking and smoking every single day might increase your depression stage. you don't need to drink or to use drugs, try to eat healthy food and enough sleep for a week you'll notice the different for sure. this is your cure mate.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by iloveteddy14)
    Mental health isn't a choice, it is isn't laziness or an excuse to take drugs, lay in bed

Nightworld1066

You seem to have contradicted yourself there.

ReputationRep:
    You don't choose to have mental health problems.
    You don't choose to have those days where you want to see people

ReputationRep:
    You don't choose to have mental health problems.
    You don't choose to have those days where you want to see people
    I thought this was about "lifestyle" diseases. Not mental illness.

ReputationRep:
    all health care should be privately funded

ReputationRep:
    I know but i think some people assume that smoking, drinking is all relate to life style but it can also be due to mental or emotional state and circumstances

Nightworld1066

ReputationRep:
    I know but i think some people assume that smoking, drinking is all relate to life style but it can also be due to mental or emotional state and circumstances

Nightworld1066
    It is still a lifestyle. It is a choice made. You choose to drink or smoke, nobody is forcing you.

ReputationRep:
    But often people in such as depressed state although they choose to smoke its not their fault they are ill

Nightworld1066

ReputationRep:
    But often people in such as depressed state although they choose to smoke its not their fault they are ill

Nightworld1066
    I never blamed them for being ill. However it is still a choice to smoke or drink. They no that smoking or drinking will not solve their problem, but they do it anyway. Although I have already said that smokers should not be charged for the use of NHS services as they generate more money for the NHS than non smokers.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.