ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chl0eellen)
    My name is Chloe lol
    also a nice name although less irish
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fojodef)
    obviously I'm aware I'm asking a certain audience here. (mainly middle class, safe background etc.)

but I'm curious

Have any of you had any sh*t for being Irish? (that your aware of)

Optionally
    I'd be interested to know.

also if you respond I'd appreciate it if you leave your
    if you are 1st, 2nd, 3rd generation / mixed descent
    and possibly what class you are.

(living in a hostel, council flat/house, flat share, flat rent, house rent, house mortgage, house paid for. ruff area, nice area. blue collar/white collar family.)
    Quarter Irish, 16, bottom of the middle class, moderate area. Only stick I've had is more because I can't say Irish.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Andy98)
    Quarter Irish, 16, bottom of the middle class, moderate area. Only stick I've had is more because I can't say Irish.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    you can't say the word Irish?
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Shaolin Punk)
    you can't say the word Irish?
    Like Jonathan Ross, the r sounds like a w

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Andy98)
    Like Jonathan Ross, the r sounds like a w

Posted from TSR Mobile
    ah ok i get ya
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Shaolin Punk)
    ah ok i get ya
    Yeah so everyone just says "I wish I was Irish"

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheAnusFiles)
    Thats not fair!
    That's how Northern Ireland works. People don't want their side mixing and a lot of pressure will be put on family members to follow tradition. Like I say its why this country has 95% of its schoolchildren in segregated schools and 90% of marriages involving people of the same religion.

ReputationRep:
    I live in the North of Ireland and I come from a place where everyone identifies as Irish and all my friends are irish etc so ive never got any stick for being irish obviously, even when my family go abroad people seem to like us (I have only ever been to England, Scotland etc for irish dancing competitions so there is nobody there that is anti-irish). The most we ever get is the odd joke about potatoes or being drunks, which I dont mind because I feel it is kind of true; most irish people love potatoes and we are a bit too fond off it at times, we are famous for it!)

Most of the ****ging etc I get is actually here, either for being a 'culchie' (my friends never stop calling me that) or it's more religion based. The nearest town to my village is very strongly divided, so much so that my mum banned me from wearing my celtic top into it because of the glares and dirty looks my family would get. I do find it unfair how I'm not allowed to wear gaelic jerseys or celtic jerseys into town, leisure centers (it's actually in their rules - they even kicked some people out!) etc but people are allowed to wear their hockey gear and their union jack t-shirts, shorts etc where ever they want

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 21, 2014
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.