Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Endless Blue)
    No, why?

I'm making weight gain progress fine atm, don't see why I need to take supplements for it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Apetamin encourages weight gain , I use it , it makes you hungrier so you take in more calories without forcing yourself. It really does help to gain weight. I've gained almost 20lb in the last 3 weeks

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by illusionz)
    Bench form needs a lot of work. Bar is too far away from you, you're locking out your legs way too early. You're not actually locking out either - still leaning forwards.

Google so you think you can deadlift. Also look for Ripptoe's guide on deadlift setup
    Thanks. I've seen the Rip video on setup, which is what I'm pretty sure I used - bar halfway across feet; bend knees (slightly) until knees touch bar, then basically get your arse down maintaining neutral back?

I will try practising the suggestions at home tomorrow, cheers again.
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Squats:

I know depth on some (esp. #2) wasn't enough, but otherwise not sure what to correct etc.

Thanks.
    Doesn't look bad, mate. You've got all the "bits" of a squat there, just need to refine them and link them together a bit better:

It's all a bit slow and looks like a really artificial movement. Don't be afraid to speed up a little bit once you start to get a feel for the technique.
    First things first, take your thumb out from under the bar - it's forcing your wrist back and getting your elbows in an unnatural position. Put the thumb on top of the bar instead of under it: a "thumbless" grip on the bar.

You're sticking your butt too far back before you bend the knees - it's like you're doing the start of a good morning. So what you end up doing is letting your torso shift forward without actually moving the bar down - will be a problem once you get heavy! Hips go back and knees bend at pretty much the same time. I find that I don't really have to think about pushing my hips back if I just think about keeping my weight on my heels - you're pushing your hips a bit too far back. Actually looks like you're trying to do a low bar squat in a high bar position.

How does it feel when you're in the bottom of the squat? Could you go deeper? Looks like your stance might be a bit wide for you or you have some flexibility issues.

Also looks like your knees come in a little bit: remember, try to keep them tracking in the same direction as your feet! Not way outside of them, not way inside of them. Over the feet.

This is, without a doubt, the best video I've seen on how to squat.

Deadlifts:

My deadlifts here seem pretty bad to me, although I do think some of that was to do with using the 10kg weights. I could feel it in my lower back afterwards so I'm really keen to correct this.
    You're placed at a disadvantage for the deadlift because those 10kg plates aren't full-diameter plates, so you're having to go down lower than you should need to - lifting at a "deficit". Your lower back is rounded before you even start the lift, so you're doomed from the get go - lower back extension is hard for loads of guys (I struggled with it for ages) because it's a movement we've literally never had to do before. Try doing superman holds - the feeling of lifting your legs off the ground is what lower back extension feels like. That's the feeling you want when you set up for a deadlift!

Upper back is curved and shoulders are rolled forward as well - remember to keep your chest out throughout the entire movement, push your chest through.

Keep the bar close to you, don't let it hang out in front after passing your knees.

Really push your hips through when you deadlift, you're finishing bent over. Push your hips through and stand up straight. Once it gets heavy, most of the work of you raising the bar up from your knees to standing will be done by hip extension. Get good at it!

I like these two videos for learning how to deadlift.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iQ5rY_beDLY
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xS2wLZSdeDg

Bit of conflicting info in there, but that's just because there's more than one way to do a correct deadlift depending on your proportions. Experiment, find out what's comfortable for you.

ReputationRep:
    Forgot to say thanks for all the advice, especially Hype.

26/07/14

Workout A:

First workout since Tuesday due to various commitments meaning I was away.

Squats - 20kg 1x5
    25kg 1x5
    30kg 5x5

Pretty good. My body was shaking a little on the last set, though, and not sure why because the weight felt okay. It's happened before at my old gym on the leg press I think (when the weight was also fine) so no idea why that happens.

Bench Press - 20kg 1x5
    25kg 5x5

Still need to work on form. Think my starting position was off which made my wrists bend back - corrected this a bit after the first two sets when my wrists started hurting.

Also I'm not feeling the bench press work my chest at all. Is this due to form or the weight still being low? (I could have started higher but wanted to begin with barbell for form purposes.)

Barbell Rows - 30kg 1x5
    35kg 5x5

Again, not bad at all.

A few specific form questions:

1) What should my grip and stance be for Yates style barbell rows? A lot of the youtube videos on Yates rows seem to be very quick and don't mention this much. I've been going for shoulder width stance and arms just outside of legs but I have no idea what to do other than maintain a 45 degree angle and pull barbell to abdomen.

2) How far down should I set my starting position on the bench for bench press? Mark Rippetoe's video said "eyes on the [towards the bottom end] side of the barbell" but not sure how far down. Think I started too far down today and consequently it buggered my wrists for the first two sets. Also, it seems (to me) that I'm having a slight problem with moving the barbell directly up and down?
    • TSR Support Team
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    1) About your deadlift width, if not slightly wider than shoulder apart.

2) Eyes under the bar as you look up at it to unrack it
    Also you shouldn't be benching in a straight line, more of an arc, so the bar at the top of the rep is roughly above your eyes/ chin at the top of the rep but lower it down to your nipple line/ bottom of chest

Hope that helps

Solid post above from Hype, PRSOM

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Angry cucumber)
    1) About your deadlift width, if not slightly wider than shoulder apart.

2) Eyes under the bar as you look up at it to unrack it
    Also you shouldn't be benching in a straight line, more of an arc, so the bar at the top of the rep is roughly above your eyes/ chin at the top of the rep but lower it down to your nipple line/ bottom of chest

Hope that helps

Solid post above from Hype, PRSOM
    Cheers.

Do you have any idea why I'm not feeling it on my chest at all at this point? (Bench.)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • TSR Support Team
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Cheers.

Do you have any idea why I'm not feeling it on my chest at all at this point? (Bench.)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    How wide is your grip? Do you pause?

ReputationRep:
    You're probably not feeling it in your chest because you don't have any pectorial muscle!

I was the same for a few months

You'll feel it soon enough

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    How wide is your grip? Do you pause?
    Middle finger along the smooth ring, so a bit more than a shoulder width apart?

I'm still working on the rapid movement for the bench that I seem to see everyone do (ie no pause). Although atm there is definitely a slight pause because I'm so conscious of form etc.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Reps4Jesus)
    You're probably not feeling it in your chest because you don't have any pectorial muscle!

I was the same for a few months

You'll feel it soon enough

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Ah ok, thanks - that's reassuring to know!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • TSR Support Team
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Middle finger along the smooth ring, so a bit more than a shoulder width apart?

I'm still working on the rapid movement for the bench that I seem to see everyone do (ie no pause). Although atm there is definitely a slight pause because I'm so conscious of form etc.
    Posted from TSR Mobile
    Basically you should have your forearms perpindicular to the floor when at the bottom of the rep. That's where you take your grip on a standard barbell.
    For me and a lot of others its a thumb length from the start of the knurling.

Pausing it will lead to more more muscle hypertrophy for the weight on the bar. Touch and go is good but you will tend to bounce it using muscle + connective tissue reflex + stretch reflex.

ReputationRep:
    Basically you should have your forearms perpindicular to the floor when at the bottom of the rep. That's where you take your grip on a standard barbell.
    For me and a lot of others its a thumb length from the start of the knurling.

Pausing it will lead to more more muscle hypertrophy for the weight on the bar. Touch and go is good but you will tend to bounce it using muscle + connective tissue reflex + stretch reflex.
    Wait so a thumb length inside or outside of the knurling?

Thanks, will try to see on Wednesday.
    • TSR Support Team
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Ok the centre of the bar is smooth

Going either left or right towards the end of the bar, you'll reach the knurling, from the start of this I use a thumb length

There's much to learn with this lifting malarkey

ReputationRep:
    28/07/14

Workout B:

Squat - 20kg 1x5
    30kg 1x5
    32.5kg 5x5

Good. Legs seem to be permanently stiff/sore from squatting every workout, though, haha.

OHP - 20kg 1x5
    22.5kg 5x5

Tough, I find this lift pretty difficult ngl.

Deadlift - 50kg 1x5

Meh. Think I corrected my form a bit based on feedback here but still needs a lot of work.

ReputationRep:
    Weight today:

67.3kg.

Up from 66.8kg

So that's a net gain of approx. 1lb this week.

ReputationRep:

Yates rows from the man himself.

ReputationRep:
    Away in Berlin for five days tomorrow. Going to hit the gym before flying but then will miss a couple of workouts.

Is there anything I can really do apart from eating well?

And should I just continue as normal when I return?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • TSR Support Team
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Away in Berlin for five days tomorrow. Going to hit the gym before flying but then will miss a couple of workouts.

Is there anything I can really do apart from eating well?

And should I just continue as normal when I return?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Eat well and chill out, you wont lose anything in 5 days

Return and do as normal

ReputationRep:
    Back from Berlin but away again tomorrow with the family.

There was a machine at my doctor's surgery that gave height, weight etc. for free so I used it.

Height - 176cm
    Weight - 68.4kg

So about 1kg on the trip...

ReputationRep:
    Hotel here has a gym!

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered fitness blogs threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.