Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Round 1 Vote Results ! Watch

• TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hal.E.Lujah)
    Fair enough then, it's clear we've got far too different opinions on what makes a good film to find any middle ground here. :hat2:
    Eh, I think at the very least a fantasy film should be more fantasy than a tourism advert for new Zealand, and that animation films should be light hearted fun.

Having said that, I'm not fond of breaking bad where as pretty much everyone I know loves it so... :dontknow:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • PS Helper
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stiff Little Fingers)
    Eh, I think at the very least a fantasy film should be more fantasy than a tourism advert for new Zealand, and that animation films should be light hearted fun.

Having said that, I'm not fond of breaking bad where as pretty much everyone I know loves it so... :dontknow:

At it's heart, Nemo is a film about mental health and physical disabilities. Every talking character in the film is disabled or post trauma. It subtly explores issues of pollution, endangered species, and single parenting. It smashes gender roles by having a strong independent set of fathers and feminine resolutions from male characters. It had comedic relief and poignant moments. I just don't see how anyone can say Despicable Me, which at it's heart is about entrepreneurial exploitation of cheap spanish labour, is in the same league. It's an fun film and to each their own, but I just don't see it. :sad:
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    At it's heart, Nemo is a film about mental health and physical disabilities. Every talking character in the film is disabled or post trauma. It subtly explores issues of pollution, endangered species, and single parenting. It smashes gender roles by having a strong independent set of fathers and feminine resolutions from male characters. It had comedic relief and poignant moments. I just don't see how anyone can say Despicable Me, which at it's heart is about entrepreneurial exploitation of cheap spanish labour, is in the same league. It's an fun film and to each their own, but I just don't see it. :sad:
    I don't look for the meanings in animation, I look for fun - and despicable me is far more fun than finding nemo. Both are kids films, and to me, the primary point of kids films is to be enjoyable, and in that regard, finding nemo is many leagues below despicable me

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • PS Helper
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stiff Little Fingers)
    I don't look for the meanings in animation, I look for fun - and despicable me is far more fun than finding nemo. Both are kids films, and to me, the primary point of kids films is to be enjoyable, and in that regard, finding nemo is many leagues below despicable me

Like I said, we just both have different ideas of what makes a film worthy of terms like 'greatest such and such film', there's no room for either of us to have conceded. :hat2:

ReputationRep:
    Oooooooooooo diz 'gun bee gud.

Yep, those Fantasy & SF match-ups are absolute crackers!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by just a dad)
    A sneak preview of the round 2 match-ups for Groups A-D

Drama
    1. Shawshank v 4. Cuckoo's
    7. The Green Mile v 3. Fight Club

Comedy, Family & Romance
    1. Forrest Gump v 5. Back to the Future
    2. It's a Wonderful Life v 6. Eternal Sunshine

Wartime & Western
    1. Good, Bad & Ugly v 4. Private Ryan
    2. Schindler's v 6. Apocalypse Now

Fantasy & SF
    1. LOTR: ROTK v 4. T2
    2. Empire Strikes Back v 3. The Matrix
    They go up at midnight tonight! :woo:

I need to go make the threads at some point today.

Also, need to get a bit of a drive on the votes on this round going as well. Feels like there's been less discussion, It was the weekend though which is quieter...

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.