Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Why do so many asians study Pharmacy? Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by teen1234)
    lol, try finding a dentistry student whos doing dentistry because they couldn't get into medicine.
    I know one

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bad8oy)
    I know one

Posted from TSR Mobile
    What, he applied for dentistry and medicine?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alevelzzz)
    How is medicine>dentistry? lol its aaa
    lol, try finding a dentistry student whos doing dentistry because they couldn't get into medicine.
    im sorry i take that back
    i figured a doctor would be better than a dentist
    academically they would be of the same difficulty i didnt mean to offend anyone

ReputationRep:
    Simple. Because they did A-levels based on the sciences and maths but want to do a degree where a job is almost guaranteed at the end. The options are medicine, dentistry, pharmacy, optometry, etc. Medicine and Dentistry are hard to get into, and the second choice is often pharmacy because the course structure is more interesting than the others, and is also a Masters degree with paid pre-registration and a JOB AT THE END.
    Many are scared that if they do Biochem or Chemistry, there is nothing for them to do afterwards (easily i mean).

ReputationRep:
    medicine rejects lol

ReputationRep:
    Reputeable degree, usually do with parents. People see it is wow, your son/daughter is doing Pharmacy? They must be so smart, and of course money, honour and all that.

Mind you i do think pharmacists are underrated, its a tougher degree than many people think. But yes the first choice for asians is usually doctor/dentist, higher up the list.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FunkeyMunkey)
    Simple. Because they did A-levels based on the sciences and maths but want to do a degree where a job is almost guaranteed at the end. The options are medicine, dentistry, pharmacy, optometry, etc. Medicine and Dentistry are hard to get into, and the second choice is often pharmacy because the course structure is more interesting than the others, and is also a Masters degree with paid pre-registration and a JOB AT THE END.
    Many are scared that if they do Biochem or Chemistry, there is nothing for them to do afterwards (easily i mean).
    Yep pretty much.

ReputationRep:
    Also to do with stability. You could argue that Pharmacy, Medicine, Dentistry and Optometry give you better stability than say a subject degree.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AnharM)
    The starting salary of pharmacist isn't that high though...I don't care about the average salary, that's skewed because of the older pharmacists with experience. If people really want money, they should look into finance, banking or Medicine/Dentistry.
    or 3d vfx

ReputationRep:
    Asian parents!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FunkeyMunkey)
    totally agree with that , I'm going to do pharmacy , only because I'm actually interested in the course and how theres higher chances of getting a job at the end of it, to me its not a second choice, to be honest the amount of effort it takes to get in and doing the a levels such as biology, chemistry and math are being so underrated on this thread, getting A or B in these type of subject are hard compared to some other a levels. I rather get a degree in something which going to help me build a future than do something which can easily be done as a hobby than wasting money at university.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by haseebi82)
    totally agree with that , I'm going to do pharmacy , only because I'm actually interested in the course and how theres higher chances of getting a job at the end of it, to me its not a second choice, to be honest the amount of effort it takes to get in and doing the a levels such as biology, chemistry and math are being so underrated on this thread, getting A or B in these type of subject are hard compared to some other a levels. I rather get a degree in something which going to help me build a future than do something which can easily be done as a hobby than wasting money at university.
    Getting a B in a level maths isnt difficult.
    Also, the interest in the course is irrelevant, its the job at the end. Studying pharmacy is COMPLETELY different to being a phrmacist

ReputationRep:
    Also, the interest in the course is irrelevant, its the job at the end. Studying pharmacy is COMPLETELY different to being a phrmacist
    The reason why people study pharmacy is to develop the skills to become a pharmacist , i thought that was obvious. Also i think it would be common sense to do work experience in the chosen career before committing your life to something without knowing everything about it, i'v worked in my uncles pharmacy and know thats the career i want , iv also looked over the content both by cousins study for their medicine and optometry courses and pharmacy is what interests me the most. Without interest , whats the point studying something and spending your life doing something, you'll just end up miserable so its totally relevant, If you only do a job for the salary then you need to rethink your life.

I know that i would not want anyone who is in the heath related careers such as doctors or dentist to come near me if the only reason they wanted their job was for the money, they should be doing it because they want to help people

ReputationRep:
    how is it completely different:? you learn most of the stuff after yeh graduate? I heard that alright

I know a good few people who got dentistry and wanted medicine...in UK the way its set up its much more unlikely to not get medicine and get dentistry

so yeh personally id say medicine>dentistry>veterinary>ph armacy>physio>optometry>radiogra phy>radiologist>nursing>nutritio n>pharmacy technician and what not... probably forgot a few though:P

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by trustmeimlying1)
    how is it completely different:? you learn most of the stuff after yeh graduate? I heard that alright

I know a good few people who got dentistry and wanted medicine...in UK the way its set up its much more unlikely to not get medicine and get dentistry

so yeh personally id say medicine>dentistry>veterinary>ph armacy>physio>optometry>radiogra phy>radiologist>nursing>nutritio n>pharmacy technician and what not... probably forgot a few though:P
    Thats what i meant, being a pharmacist requires a lot more skills that are only learnt from experience

You cant apply for medicine and dentistry at the same time and they both require aaa so i dont see how they wanted medicine?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by haseebi82)
    The reason why people study pharmacy is to develop the skills to become a pharmacist , i thought that was obvious. Also i think it would be common sense to do work experience in the chosen career before committing your life to something without knowing everything about it, i'v worked in my uncles pharmacy and know thats the career i want , iv also looked over the content both by cousins study for their medicine and optometry courses and pharmacy is what interests me the most. Without interest , whats the point studying something and spending your life doing something, you'll just end up miserable so its totally relevant, If you only do a job for the salary then you need to rethink your life.

I know that i would not want anyone who is in the heath related careers such as doctors or dentist to come near me if the only reason they wanted their job was for the money, they should be doing it because they want to help people
    I didnt mention anything about salaries but ok
    Anyway, most pharmacy schools dont require work experience and so a lot of stupid students just apply to it without knowing anything about it. Obviously not the case for everyone

ReputationRep:
    Thats what i meant, being a pharmacist requires a lot more skills that are only learnt from experience

You cant apply for medicine and dentistry at the same time and they both require aaa so i dont see how they wanted medicine?
    exactly they choose before..so its very unlikely to happen in UK

but in ireland it can happen as its a different setup

and it does.

medicine is considered the better degree here for sure
    also dentistry is where the monies at

Pharmacy is also a lot more respected in ireland

along with radiographers radiologists primary school teachers nurses altho to a less extent

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by trustmeimlying1)
    exactly they choose before..so its very unlikely to happen in UK

but in ireland it can happen as its a different setup

and it does.

medicine is considered the better degree here for sure
    also dentistry is where the monies at

Pharmacy is also a lot more respected in ireland

along with radiographers radiologists primary school teachers nurses altho to a less extent
    Ah didnt know you were from ireland

What makes you say pharm is more respected there

ReputationRep:
    Ah didnt know you were from ireland

What makes you say pharm is more respected there
    I study pharm in the uk

its fairely obvious p haha

honestly I dont care about it..although it helps to be more respected

but yeh very noticable

ReputationRep:
    Nah first year medicine, didn't get in.
    So then dentistry.
    Imo dentistry's a bit easier to get into,
    Especially since not as much emphasis places on the ukcat.

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.