Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JFens)
    What instrument(s) do you play?
    When did you start playing and what sort of thing do you play?
    Do you play in a band/ensemble?

This thread doesn't really have a point tbh, I'm just a bit bored. Personally I play Violin Piano and Guitar. I would say I can play them all to a fairly competent level. Started Piano quite young and then moved on to Guitar and Violin in my early teens. On Piano and Violin I mainly play Classical stuff but on Guitar I play a variety (a lot of bluesy stuff). What about everyone else?
    Piano, Violin, but mostly I'm a composer and producer. Started playing piano at 2/3, then violin at 5. Always composed. I've played in a few different orchestras and work with lots of different musicians in the studio, but at heart I just live to compose :P

ReputationRep:
    Played around with my amp settings and guitar, full reverb and using some delay, made it sound as muted as possible and maxed the bass. It now sounds dreamy as hell

https://soundcloud.com/rick-merlin-van-ruth/dreamscape2

ReputationRep:
    I am a singer and play the keyboard a bit, also violin but lacking practice. I started very young actually, singing that is, and still going strong :3!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I play French Horn, I started playing 7 years ago and I generally play more classical music. I used to play in an orchestra, marching/concert band (we did both) and a horn ensemble, however that was at my school I've recently left. At uni, I'm hoping to join an orchestra and band, though if I don't have the time, I'll only do one.

ReputationRep:
    i currently play piano (taking gr 8 in november), saxophone (taking gr 7 in november or february) and singing (taking gr 6 or 7 sometime next year)

i also used to play clarinet (took gr 5), violin to grade 3 level although i never took an exam, classical guitar (took gr 4) and organ again to gr 3 level. so i've played a lot of instruments in my time xD

i started piano in year 3, ive been playing for just over 7 years. saxophone i've been playing for just over a year but i'm quite advanced because of my background with clarinet, it all came back quite naturally and singing ive been doing for 2 years but i sang in a choir way back before that.

in piano i play exam pieces obviously but i prefer the more romantic pieces- chopin, debussy etc.
    for saxophone i play exam pieces and i steer well clear of improvising because i hate it. my teacher always forces me to try it and i hate it so much
    in singing lessons i sing italian arias a lot because i love them (se tu m'ami anyone? xD ) and also show songs and musicals like les mis and phantom of the opera which is amazing and my favourite musical and my teacher thinks im really weird because i ask to sing it every lesson :P
    but also in my free time i sing pop songs and i accompany myself on the guitar which im pretty bad at because i was only ever taught classical and i always got like 102 in the exams :P

i cant remember what the other question is xD oops

EDIT: i have no idea if se tu m'ami is an aria but its italian so im sorry if im wrong :P and sorry its so long xD i love music so i got a bit carried away :P

ReputationRep:
    Professional Singer/Songwriter going on 15/16 years now good to see a thread dedicated to this!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bekbok)
    I play French Horn, I started playing 7 years ago and I generally play more classical music. I used to play in an orchestra, marching/concert band (we did both) and a horn ensemble, however that was at my school I've recently left. At uni, I'm hoping to join an orchestra and band, though if I don't have the time, I'll only do one.
    Oh cool! I'm also going to uni pretty soon and am trying to decide on which of my instruments to take.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CassieCGraves)
    Professional Singer/Songwriter going on 15/16 years now good to see a thread dedicated to this!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    So you've been doing it professionally for 15 years or just singing generally for 15 years? What sort of stuff do you sing? (like classical or other stuff?)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JFens)
    Oh cool! I'm also going to uni pretty soon and am trying to decide on which of my instruments to take.
    Cool cool, what do you play?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JFens)
    So you've been doing it professionally for 15 years or just singing generally for 15 years? What sort of stuff do you sing? (like classical or other stuff?)
    Been singing for 15 years, and the things I've done have adapted over the time, but it's generally been a professional thing over the entire time (track features, performances, etc.). I've gone by several names with several bands and I've moved in to the "commercial" industry in the past few years. I was quite successful as a jazz singer for a while, and sang opera and other classical music when I was younger, but my passion has always been R&B (REAL R&B, Whitney, SWV, Aaliyah, etc., not the crappy pop that's made nowadays) with real sounds, real passion, real heart.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bekbok)
    Cool cool, what do you play?
    Violin, Piano and Guitar. I'm better at Guitar and Piano than Violin though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CassieCGraves)
    Been singing for 15 years, and the things I've done have adapted over the time, but it's generally been a professional thing over the entire time (track features, performances, etc.). I've gone by several names with several bands and I've moved in to the "commercial" industry in the past few years. I was quite successful as a jazz singer for a while, and sang opera and other classical music when I was younger, but my passion has always been R&B (REAL R&B, Whitney, SWV, Aaliyah, etc., not the crappy pop that's made nowadays) with real sounds, real passion, real heart.
    Oh wow! You sound like someone who's pretty musically experienced. What age did you start singing?

ReputationRep:
    I can just about play the piano, but my expertise is in music theory, or at least the parts of it that are relevant to modern music. And I do utilise that knowledge for making my own music, so that makes me a composer (or this awful term 'producer'), I guess.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JFens)
    Oh wow! You sound like someone who's pretty musically experienced. What age did you start singing?
    6 or 7, feels like forever now!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I play the alto saxophone. I have been playing for about 8 years now and I sat my grade 8 practical (ABRSM) in December of year 11. I basically play classical stuff exclusively but I am planning on teaching myself jazz

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SleepingStag)
    I play the alto saxophone. I have been playing for about 8 years now and I sat my grade 8 practical (ABRSM) in December of year 11. I basically play classical stuff exclusively but I am planning on teaching myself jazz

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Sax was always one of those things I wished I'd picked up when I was younger. I used to play piano and violin but I dropped them both when I was 14 and I don't have patience for the guitar, but I play a bit, but sax is such a sexy instrument, and it's so flexible. Love it.

ReputationRep:
    I play the clarinet and I've done my grade 7, and I also sing. I'm really involved with my school's music scene and my local music centre, and I've met most of my friends through music.

I therefore perform in a lot of ensembles such as 2x concert bands, 1x orchestra, 2x choirs, 1x clarinet choir and also my school's close harmony barbershop group which has made it to the final 4 groups in the Youth category of the Choir of the Year 2014! So if we make the final then we'll be on TV haha

ReputationRep:
    I got my first guitar when I was 10 but I stopped until I was 12... now I can't put it down! I used to just play classical, which I love but then my best friend plays the violin and she wanted me to come busking with her and I suddenly had to start learning chords and strumming techniques too but I picked it up pretty easily. We play folk (mostly Irish) and I love it so much!! Does anyone else play/like folk?

My cousin tried teaching me piano but I didn't have space for one at home so I couldn't practice enough now I'm also learning the penny whistle, the bodhran and the violin. I only play for fun, but it's great to be able to play an instrument.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sanderling)
    I got my first guitar when I was 10 but I stopped until I was 12... now I can't put it down! I used to just play classical, which I love but then my best friend plays the violin and she wanted me to come busking with her and I suddenly had to start learning chords and strumming techniques too but I picked it up pretty easily. We play folk (mostly Irish) and I love it so much!! Does anyone else play/like folk?

My cousin tried teaching me piano but I didn't have space for one at home so I couldn't practice enough now I'm also learning the penny whistle, the bodhran and the violin. I only play for fun, but it's great to be able to play an instrument.
    Same here, I really enjoy just sitting around and jamming, not playing anything in particular. It's cool that you play Irish Folk, I really like the Dubliners. Are you Irish/from an Irish family then?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by phibes)
    I play the clarinet and I've done my grade 7, and I also sing. I'm really involved with my school's music scene and my local music centre, and I've met most of my friends through music.

I therefore perform in a lot of ensembles such as 2x concert bands, 1x orchestra, 2x choirs, 1x clarinet choir and also my school's close harmony barbershop group which has made it to the final 4 groups in the Youth category of the Choir of the Year 2014! So if we make the final then we'll be on TV haha
    You don't tend to hear about many Barbershop Quartets nowadays? It must work wonders for your street cred LOL.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: May 8, 2015
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered creative corner threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.