Year 2:

Human Physiology - Compulsory
    Experimental Design and Analysis - Compulsory
    Immunology and Disease - Compulsory
    Studies in the Biology of Disease - Compulsory

Optional:
    Medicinal Chemistry
    Human Biochemistry
    Got a lot of questions, hope you could answer them.
    How was the transition from A levels to uni?
    Was it a lot harder at Uni?
    Is the module in bold really difficult to pass?
    How did you fare in your first year?
    Any studying tips?
    (I'm just really paranoid about flunking uni)

A fun one:
    Who do you think will win the world cup. Germany or Argentina?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Scienceisgood)
    However, your tutor will be able to guide you through the processes and what's hot in the job departments at the moment, or, at least mine have given us hints.
    okay thank you very much for your help ^_^

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 1drowssap)
    Got a lot of questions, hope you could answer them.
    How was the transition from A levels to uni?
    Was it a lot harder at Uni?
    Is the module in bold really difficult to pass?
    How did you fare in your first year?
    Any studying tips?
    (I'm just really paranoid about flunking uni)
    Transition from A level to uni?
    Not nearly as big a jump as GCSE to A level, at least my personal opinion. So, I found it fairly minor, although, like all subjects/courses, there are going to be some parts you will like and others you will despise... - I HATE ASPIRIN!

The highlighted module, I found it really fun and interesting so, for me personally, no.
    Although, others have said it is hard, but, it is basically memory work and like I said, I find the bio-mechanics to be my favourite part to study.

First year, not that bad actually but, from what I hear, the first year is fairly easy compared to the second and third years, hence why your first year doesn't count towards your final grade.
    BARELY got a first at like 70.4% though. =l

Tips?
    Get into a study group of around 5-6 (4 minimum) that way people have your back in terms of your weaknesses and you can cover their weaknesses with your strengths.
    Would also advice buying a dictaphone (audio-recorder) so you can go over the lectures again should you need to.
    Food is your friend so, don't revise hungry. Unfortunately, I have to cook all my own food which means I spend around an hour a day preparing food which could otherwise be used more constructively. =l
    Also, eat healthily, eating junk seriously makes me tired (sugar crash...)

Was also advised to pick up the following book:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Campbell-Bio.../ref=pd_cp_b_0

Not cheap but covers everything in excruciatingly painful detail...

ReputationRep:
    Hey,
    I'm starting this course in September and want to do some reading this summer to prepare for it. Could you recommend any books I could purchase, perhaps ones that would be on the reading list for the first year?
    Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by _cornflake_)
    Hey,
    I'm starting this course in September and want to do some reading this summer to prepare for it. Could you recommend any books I could purchase, perhaps ones that would be on the reading list for the first year?
    Thanks
    I would recommend the book as mentioned above, extensive (painfully extensive...), quite pricey but people at uni will often sell the books they don't want anymore to help pay for rent or simply to get rid of them.

Should be MORE than enough to get you started and should last me to the end of the next year (September 2015) as I was told this book is enough to cover the first 2 years of my course. =)

Don't know of any cheaper ones but, it does come with a code which allows for 24 months access to this online website MasteringBiology which gives questions, guided videos etc...
    However, you would have to get it new if you want access to the MasteringBiology stuff.

ReputationRep:
    Example:
    I was helping one of my mates, who, tbh was CLUELESS in at least 2 modules, potentially 3 however, I feel the third he could have passed by himself.

He would often say "want to meet up at 10 tomorrow?", I say sure, not uncommon for him to be either 1-2 hours late.
    This also happened on public holidays and Sundays where the buses run far less frequently (or not at all) meaning I would often walk from my accomodation to campus (6 miles) there and another 6 back to help him and pretty much never got a thank you.

At one stage, I turned up and he didn't turn up at all (was 7 hours late...) and didn't get a message until I messaged him an hour after he was due to turn up because his girlfriend turned up without messaging me or anything telling me he was going to be late (luckily the buses were running).

So, like I said, while if I can help people, I will.
    Although, now I am unsure if I should use his own philosophy against him "sometimes commitments can't be kept" bull...

So, that sort thing...
    I'm basically like you in this regard. Not too sure if it's a good thing really : /

I wish.
    What do you look for in a partner?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kka25)
    What do you look for in a partner?
    I have to find a boyfriend first, forget partner! DX

Kinda hard to describe my ideals, just, I know what I'm looking for. :rolleyes:
    Although, they pretty much have to have brown hair, the only hair colour I find attractive. =l
    Sometimes I like ginger but, 90% of the time, brown.

ReputationRep:
    I have to find a boyfriend first, forget partner! DX

Kinda hard to describe my ideals, just, I know what I'm looking for. :rolleyes:
    Although, they pretty much have to have brown hair, the only hair colour I find attractive. =l
    Sometimes I like ginger but, 90% of the time, brown.
    What if they coloured it brown?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kka25)
    What if they coloured it brown?
    Let's just hope it never happens...
    Don't know why but, I don't like blonde or black hair, just something I look for I guess.

ReputationRep:
    Let's just hope it never happens...
    Don't know why but, I don't like blonde or black hair, just something I look for I guess.
    How about character?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kka25)
    How about character?
    Like I said, hard to describe any particular ideals because everyone is different and will never fit those specifications exactly, that's just a part of being human...

Although, in a nutshell:

Has a passion for learning
    Drive to succeed
    Funny
    Likes going out
    Some kind of talent or interest would be nice

Just off the top of my head, but, a few surprises wouldn't go amiss. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Transition from A level to uni?
    Not nearly as big a jump as GCSE to A level, at least my personal opinion. So, I found it fairly minor, although, like all subjects/courses, there are going to be some parts you will like and others you will despise... - I HATE ASPIRIN!

The highlighted module, I found it really fun and interesting so, for me personally, no.
    Although, others have said it is hard, but, it is basically memory work and like I said, I find the bio-mechanics to be my favourite part to study.

First year, not that bad actually but, from what I hear, the first year is fairly easy compared to the second and third years, hence why your first year doesn't count towards your final grade.
    BARELY got a first at like 70.4% though. =l

Tips?
    Get into a study group of around 5-6 (4 minimum) that way people have your back in terms of your weaknesses and you can cover their weaknesses with your strengths.
    Would also advice buying a dictaphone (audio-recorder) so you can go over the lectures again should you need to.
    Food is your friend so, don't revise hungry. Unfortunately, I have to cook all my own food which means I spend around an hour a day preparing food which could otherwise be used more constructively. =l
    Also, eat healthily, eating junk seriously makes me tired (sugar crash...)

Was also advised to pick up the following book:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Campbell-Bio.../ref=pd_cp_b_0

Not cheap but covers everything in excruciatingly painful detail...
    Hey, thanks for the response. Do you suggest getting any dictaphone, or are some better than others? Do you take down notes using your laptop?
    Or is writing down notes easier?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 1drowssap)
    Hey, thanks for the response. Do you suggest getting any dictaphone, or are some better than others? Do you take down notes using your laptop?
    Or is writing down notes easier?
    I prefer to take down notes by hand, personally, writing notes by hand tend to stick more than typing.

I got this Dictaphone from Cex for around £40.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B005...sr=8-1&pi=SL75

Is really good and can hold thousands of hours of lectures. =)

Not cheap but, given it will last around 3 years, not a bad investment.

ReputationRep:
    These threads are getting stupid

ReputationRep:
    Anyone else?

ReputationRep:
    Hi,
    I'm just starting uni this coming October, and I am kinda unsure how to prepare. Which books do i need?
    Which uni did you go to?
    What kinda societies/clubs have u joined?
    What new things did you learn from ur first year at uni?

and for fun....what kinda music do you like?

Thanks in advance!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ReinsOfKhaos)
    Hi,
    I'm just starting uni this coming October, and I am kinda unsure how to prepare. Which books do i need?
    Which uni did you go to?
    What kinda societies/clubs have u joined?
    What new things did you learn from ur first year at uni?

and for fun....what kinda music do you like?

Thanks in advance!
    Hi;

Sorry for the late reply, didn't even know this was posted on... (not on my watched threads list anymore for some reason...)

Starting uni in October? I assume Biomed?
    I got this book here, very good, VERY expensive and very big...
    Oh, and this one: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Communicatio...lls+bioscience

What uni do I go to?
    UWE - University of West England, Bristol.

What societies have I joined?
    I only joined one last year, Anime but, they show the WEIRD *hit in that society...
    Will try again this year and am going to join the LGBT society too. :rolleyes:

What new things did I learn?
    Other than academic stuff?
    How to cook (couldn't boil an egg before I left for uni, lol)
    How to manage finances, lol.
    How awesome fresher's can be. =P
    How expensive Phoenix Court can be... (moving out in just under 2 weeks)
    Essentially, the whole thing is a learning experience but, the best thing about uni is the atmosphere, there is nothing that is overwhelming.

Advice, homesickness is almost certainly going to happen, but, it WILL pass.
    Make a load of friends and you will have the best time of your life guaranteed.

Again, sorry for the LONG wait, didn't know anyone posted on my thread.

EDIT:
    Also, ironically, I don't like Lady Gaga and all the other stereotypical gay songs, lol...

ReputationRep:
    Ĉu vi estas homo en Britio?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Many gay guys on the course?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by J2223)
    Many gay guys on the course?
    If there are, they're all in hiding. :sad:

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.