Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Iz coz ur white

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aspirinpharmacist)
    We've all got it. I mean some people will experience the advantages of it, more than others, while others will probably experience less of it, but being white means that the media is stuffed full of people and characters who are white, and they'll often be given fully developed personalities and backstories, while people who aren't white are more likely to be reduced to stereotypes on television, although it's better than it was. In some places, ethnic minorities are hired just to meet a quota so they can look more diverse. Since you're a boy this won't apply to you, but try shopping for foundation and look at the colours, there's frequently far more shades of white than there are anything else. It's little things that aren't really obvious from this side because we don't experience it. That's not to say that every single white person is better off than everyone else with a different skin colour, but in matters of race, the advantages are there without us even realising it, because we frequently take it for granted. I mean we're unlikely to get comments like 'Oh but where are you from really' or comments on how good our English is, or have it assumed that our parents want us to get insanely good grades at school and be a doctor or a dentist or a lawyer purely based on our race, or have someone assume our parents own a takeaway (even though they might, people don't make that assumption based on your race). It's badly explained I'm afraid (I'm getting sleepy), but I think that's kinda it.
    While of course you can probably find many trivial perks (which would hold true for most majority demographics across the globe), I am of course referring to 'bigger' issues. Simply because I am white, the social justice community would have me believe that I am an "oppressor", and that my life is so much easier. This way of thinking becomes particularly problematic when institutions try to correct for the "privilege" that whites supposedly have. Ethnic minority individuals may be given priority on the grounds of socio-economic disadvantage (i.e. through positive discrimination, which is still widely practiced in North America) whereas whites are given no such help, even though millions of white people are in the same bracket of socio-economic restraint -- they are ignored and assumed "advantaged" or "privileged" due to their skin colour.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dandaman1)
    While of course you can probably find many trivial perks (which would hold true for most majority demographics across the globe), I am of course referring to 'bigger' issues. Simply because I am white, the social justice clientèle would have me believe that I am an "oppressor", and that my life is so much easier. This way of thinking becomes particularly problematic when institutions try to correct for the "privilege" that whites supposedly have. Ethnic minority individuals may be given priority on the grounds of socio-economic disadvantage (i.e. through positive discrimination, which is still widely practices in North America) whereas whites are given no such help, even though millions of white people are in the same bracket of socio-economic restraint -- they are ignored and assumed "advantaged" or "privileged" due to their skin colour.
    I know, I was just trying to explain what people are talking about by white privelege. And no, not all white people are oppressors, but you can't deny that some are. We live in a white-washed society and regardless of the other struggles someone might have, for sexuality, religion, economic background, disability, all these things can be amplified by race. I believe Oxbridge have a positive discrimination thing for people from state schools though, don't they? Although most of the students there are still from public schools so they'd have to just to attempt to create a balance. I think it's wrong to dismiss other problems someone might have on the grounds of 'you're white, you have white privelege', but equally it's wrong of white people to deny their advantage in society on the grounds of their race, no matter how small or trivial those benefits may be.

ReputationRep:
    Ugh, check your privilege.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dandaman1)
    We've all heard how privileged we are for being white, and how much better our lives are because of this, so I thought I'd share some of my privileges with you guys to so how advantaged I really am, and how much power I have over my minority friends:

- I was born into a working class family in a small two-bedroom house in a working class suburb to parents struggling to pay their mortgage.

- I went to a mediocre public school and got relatively okay grades (but slightly lower than that of the East Asian and Indian students).

- I got into university on the minimum grades required and was funded entirely by the government for being poor.

- After working very hard, I graduated with slightly above average grades and went to an average grad school (that practices affirmative action) which I am currently paying my way through by undertaking teaching duties and additional part time work (interestingly, neither of my bosses are white)

- I have never been arrested or pulled over, but, then again, I don't drive, nor do I carry drugs, chill with the 'wrong' crowd, or get into fights with people.

This is why the term "white privilege" seems unfitting to me, at least on a personal level. It appears my life would have been no different whether I was coloured or white -- I had the same economic background as most ethnic minorities in my town, I had all the same educational opportunities, and I had no powers or recognisable advantages over my ethnic minority friends, classmates and colleagues. In fact, very few of the ethnic minority friends I had in school that I am still in contact with are any worse off than I am now. This holds true for a lot of people (there are in fact more white people in poverty in Canada and the UK than any other ethnic group). Am I missing something? Is there a cheque white people get in the mail that I wasn't delivered?

Feel free to share your privileges in a comment below, fellow white overlords.
    1. I can if I wish arrange to be in the company of people of my race most of the time.

2. I can avoid spending time with people whom I was trained to mistrust and who have learned to mistrust my kind or me.

3. If I should need to move, I can be pretty sure of renting or purchasing housing in an area which I can afford and in which I would want to live.

4. I can be pretty sure that my neighbors in such a location will be neutral or pleasant to me.

5. I can go shopping alone most of the time, pretty well assured that I will not be followed or harassed.

6. I can turn on the television or open to the front page of the paper and see people of my race widely represented.

7. When I am told about our national heritage or about "civilization," I am shown that people of my color made it what it is.

8. I can be sure that my children will be given curricular materials that testify to the existence of their race.

9. If I want to, I can be pretty sure of finding a publisher for this piece on white privilege.

10. I can be pretty sure of having my voice heard in a group in which I am the only member of my race.

11. I can be casual about whether or not to listen to another person's voice in a group in which s/he is the only member of his/her race.

12. I can go into a music shop and count on finding the music of my race represented, into a supermarket and find the staple foods which fit with my cultural traditions, into a hairdresser's shop and find someone who can cut my hair.

13. Whether I use checks, credit cards or cash, I can count on my skin color not to work against the appearance of financial reliability.

14. I can arrange to protect my children most of the time from people who might not like them.

15. I do not have to educate my children to be aware of systemic racism for their own daily physical protection.

16. I can be pretty sure that my children's teachers and employers will tolerate them if they fit school and workplace norms; my chief worries about them do not concern others' attitudes toward their race.

17. I can talk with my mouth full and not have people put this down to my color.

18. I can swear, or dress in second hand clothes, or not answer letters, without having people attribute these choices to the bad morals, the poverty or the illiteracy of my race.

19. I can speak in public to a powerful male group without putting my race on trial.

20. I can do well in a challenging situation without being called a credit to my race.

21. I am never asked to speak for all the people of my racial group.

22. I can remain oblivious of the language and customs of persons of color who constitute the world's majority without feeling in my culture any penalty for such oblivion.

23. I can criticize our government and talk about how much I fear its policies and behavior without being seen as a cultural outsider.

24. I can be pretty sure that if I ask to talk to the "person in charge", I will be facing a person of my race.

25. If a traffic cop pulls me over or if the IRS audits my tax return, I can be sure I haven't been singled out because of my race.

26. I can easily buy posters, post-cards, picture books, greeting cards, dolls, toys and children's magazines featuring people of my race.

27. I can go home from most meetings of organizations I belong to feeling somewhat tied in, rather than isolated, out-of-place, outnumbered, unheard, held at a distance or feared.

28. I can be pretty sure that an argument with a colleague of another race is more likely to jeopardize her/his chances for advancement than to jeopardize mine.

29. I can be pretty sure that if I argue for the promotion of a person of another race, or a program centering on race, this is not likely to cost me heavily within my present setting, even if my colleagues disagree with me.

30. If I declare there is a racial issue at hand, or there isn't a racial issue at hand, my race will lend me more credibility for either position than a person of color will have.

31. I can choose to ignore developments in minority writing and minority activist programs, or disparage them, or learn from them, but in any case, I can find ways to be more or less protected from negative consequences of any of these choices.

32. My culture gives me little fear about ignoring the perspectives and powers of people of other races.

33. I am not made acutely aware that my shape, bearing or body odor will be taken as a reflection on my race.

34. I can worry about racism without being seen as self-interested or self-seeking.

35. I can take a job with an affirmative action employer without having my co-workers on the job suspect that I got it because of my race.

36. If my day, week or year is going badly, I need not ask of each negative episode or situation whether it had racial overtones.

37. I can be pretty sure of finding people who would be willing to talk with me and advise me about my next steps, professionally.

38. I can think over many options, social, political, imaginative or professional, without asking whether a person of my race would be accepted or allowed to do what I want to do.

39. I can be late to a meeting without having the lateness reflect on my race.

40. I can choose public accommodation without fearing that people of my race cannot get in or will be mistreated in the places I have chosen.

41. I can be sure that if I need legal or medical help, my race will not work against me.

42. I can arrange my activities so that I will never have to experience feelings of rejection owing to my race.

43. If I have low credibility as a leader I can be sure that my race is not the problem.

44. I can easily find academic courses and institutions which give attention only to people of my race.

45. I can expect figurative language and imagery in all of the arts to testify to experiences of my race.

46. I can chose blemish cover or bandages in "flesh" color and have them more or less match my skin.

47. I can travel alone or with my spouse without expecting embarrassment or hostility in those who deal with us.

48. I have no difficulty finding neighborhoods where people approve of our household.

49. My children are given texts and classes which implicitly support our kind of family unit and do not turn them against my choice of domestic partnership.

50. I will feel welcomed and "normal" in the usual walks of public life, institutional and social.

ReputationRep:
    Or to sum it up,

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by imtelling)
    The whole idea of white privilege is pure anti-white racism.

This concept does not exist anywhere else on earth, so its not true to say 'white privilege' is just another way of saying 'majority privilege'. No other majority people are being made to feel guilty for being a majority in their own civilisation expect for white people.

'White privilege' is a Marxist/Leninist concept designed to undermine the institutions of the Western world, which Marxists despise and want to see destroyed.

Any white person who buys into the concept is victim of psychological, emotional and intellectual warfare.
    Karl Marx and Lenin were both white, why would they want to bring down their own race?

ReputationRep:
    Lol because you're white you feel as if you're entitled to being born into a rich family and superior intelligence because you're white? And as you have not experienced yourself this "white privilege" it must be some kind of myth? The world doesn't revolve around you. Get over yourself. What a stupid post.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Race has ironically become an industry. The so called anti-racists need racism to exist for them to have a purpose, if there isn't any racism then they need to create it to continue to have a purpose. If people just stopped talking about the colour of people's skin it wouldn't be an issue. Academics created the term white privilege to stir things up because work was lagging. If there is no racism then governments wont employ social theorist to conduct studies, they'd be out of a job and the world would tick over nicely. I'm mixed race. There are some that believe that because I'm a bit browner than they are I must have experienced racism and it must be a white persons fault. To assume I have experience racism is daft and racist in itself because it is stating clearly that people must hate me for my skin colour. White people are not privileged above anyone else in my view, it simply depends on where you are in the world. I've friends in china at the moment experiencing daily bouts of racism, is that Chinese privilege? Affirmative action is just as bad. Please do not feel sorry for me because I'm a little bit brown, please don't pat me on the head and say you're brown we'll let you in, its a bad as someone saying you aren't coming in brown lad. Just stop the sneering at people folks, stop trying to make people feel guilty for stuff they didn't do, stop looking at the white brown cases we come in. Focus on what is between the ears. I'd sooner have a drink with OP in the pub than the sad social studies kid having a breakdown over things that she had no control over 200 years ago and now wants to assign her own brand of stupid justice on everyone. White privilege is just saying all white people are the same and all must be burdened with X. Y, Z. White privilege is nothing more than a machine in the race industry. Check your privilege? More like check your stupid. My brownness is not something I think about on a daily basis, it is skin, it holds all the necessary bits in, I don't really care what colour it is so long as it continues to do this job

ReputationRep:
    You faced temporary economic setbacks
    Visible minorities face permanent setbacks

ReputationRep:
    White privilege
    Male privilege
    Straight privilege
    'Cis' privilege
    6 foot+ privilege
    Manchester United fan privilege

I have so many privileges to check man

ReputationRep:
    Kevin said. "White privilege is nothing more than a machine in the race industry. Check your privilege? More like check your stupid. My brownness is not something I think about on a daily basis, it is skin, it holds all the necessary bits in, I don't really care what colour it is so long as it continues to do this job"

Dont you see it is the jackbooted heel of the whiteiarchy that is on the back of your neck kevin? Cant you feel it?
    Youre just suffering internalised racism.
    Ask the next self loathing lefty you meet, they will explain it to you.😋

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by manchesterunited15)
    White privilege
    Male privilege
    Straight privilege
    'Cis' privilege
    6 foot+ privilege

Same for me. This means, that of course, my opinion on feminism, or racism, or homophobia is completely invalid. The sad thing is, people legitimately believe that, even though it's a stupid argument, as it falsl under ad hominem.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aghulam)
    Karl Marx and Lenin were both white, why would they want to bring down their own race?
    You might want to look a little closer at their ancestry.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by manchesterunited15)
    White privilege
    Male privilege
    Straight privilege
    'Cis' privilege
    6 foot+ privilege

Conspicuous lack of well-endowed privilege, but being rather privileged in that department myself, I should probably not boast

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Velasco)
    1. I can if I wish arrange to be in the company of people of my race most of the time.

2. I can avoid spending time with people whom I was trained to mistrust and who have learned to mistrust my kind or me.

3. If I should need to move, I can be pretty sure of renting or purchasing housing in an area which I can afford and in which I would want to live.

4. I can be pretty sure that my neighbors in such a location will be neutral or pleasant to me.

5. I can go shopping alone most of the time, pretty well assured that I will not be followed or harassed.

6. I can turn on the television or open to the front page of the paper and see people of my race widely represented.

7. When I am told about our national heritage or about "civilization," I am shown that people of my color made it what it is.

8. I can be sure that my children will be given curricular materials that testify to the existence of their race.

9. If I want to, I can be pretty sure of finding a publisher for this piece on white privilege.

10. I can be pretty sure of having my voice heard in a group in which I am the only member of my race.

11. I can be casual about whether or not to listen to another person's voice in a group in which s/he is the only member of his/her race.

12. I can go into a music shop and count on finding the music of my race represented, into a supermarket and find the staple foods which fit with my cultural traditions, into a hairdresser's shop and find someone who can cut my hair.

13. Whether I use checks, credit cards or cash, I can count on my skin color not to work against the appearance of financial reliability.

14. I can arrange to protect my children most of the time from people who might not like them.

15. I do not have to educate my children to be aware of systemic racism for their own daily physical protection.

16. I can be pretty sure that my children's teachers and employers will tolerate them if they fit school and workplace norms; my chief worries about them do not concern others' attitudes toward their race.

17. I can talk with my mouth full and not have people put this down to my color.

18. I can swear, or dress in second hand clothes, or not answer letters, without having people attribute these choices to the bad morals, the poverty or the illiteracy of my race.

19. I can speak in public to a powerful male group without putting my race on trial.

20. I can do well in a challenging situation without being called a credit to my race.

22. I can remain oblivious of the language and customs of persons of color who constitute the world's majority without feeling in my culture any penalty for such oblivion.

23. I can criticize our government and talk about how much I fear its policies and behavior without being seen as a cultural outsider.

24. I can be pretty sure that if I ask to talk to the "person in charge", I will be facing a person of my race.

25. If a traffic cop pulls me over or if the IRS audits my tax return, I can be sure I haven't been singled out because of my race.

26. I can easily buy posters, post-cards, picture books, greeting cards, dolls, toys and children's magazines featuring people of my race.

27. I can go home from most meetings of organizations I belong to feeling somewhat tied in, rather than isolated, out-of-place, outnumbered, unheard, held at a distance or feared.

28. I can be pretty sure that an argument with a colleague of another race is more likely to jeopardize her/his chances for advancement than to jeopardize mine.

29. I can be pretty sure that if I argue for the promotion of a person of another race, or a program centering on race, this is not likely to cost me heavily within my present setting, even if my colleagues disagree with me.

30. If I declare there is a racial issue at hand, or there isn't a racial issue at hand, my race will lend me more credibility for either position than a person of color will have.

31. I can choose to ignore developments in minority writing and minority activist programs, or disparage them, or learn from them, but in any case, I can find ways to be more or less protected from negative consequences of any of these choices.

32. My culture gives me little fear about ignoring the perspectives and powers of people of other races.

33. I am not made acutely aware that my shape, bearing or body odor will be taken as a reflection on my race.

34. I can worry about racism without being seen as self-interested or self-seeking.

35. I can take a job with an affirmative action employer without having my co-workers on the job suspect that I got it because of my race.

36. If my day, week or year is going badly, I need not ask of each negative episode or situation whether it had racial overtones.

37. I can be pretty sure of finding people who would be willing to talk with me and advise me about my next steps, professionally.

38. I can think over many options, social, political, imaginative or professional, without asking whether a person of my race would be accepted or allowed to do what I want to do.

40. I can choose public accommodation without fearing that people of my race cannot get in or will be mistreated in the places I have chosen.

41. I can be sure that if I need legal or medical help, my race will not work against me.

42. I can arrange my activities so that I will never have to experience feelings of rejection owing to my race.

43. If I have low credibility as a leader I can be sure that my race is not the problem.

44. I can easily find academic courses and institutions which give attention only to people of my race.

45. I can expect figurative language and imagery in all of the arts to testify to experiences of my race.

46. I can chose blemish cover or bandages in "flesh" color and have them more or less match my skin.

47. I can travel alone or with my spouse without expecting embarrassment or hostility in those who deal with us.

48. I have no difficulty finding neighborhoods where people approve of our household.

49. My children are given texts and classes which implicitly support our kind of family unit and do not turn them against my choice of domestic partnership.

50. I will feel welcomed and "normal" in the usual walks of public life, institutional and social.
    1. Thats racist and secondly if you don't like it, don't live in Northern Europe you mong

2. Isn't that a mutual thing

4. Absolute nonsense. Plenty of whites have neighbour problems

6. Unless you are Asian what utter *******s? Are you saying there are no black people in the charts/sports?

8. They are. Sanjay, Pablo and Muhammed both want the train to Leeds which is travelling at 40 mph...

9. Maybe if you can't its because no-one wants to read it

12. You can. Again, you don't listen to the charts much do you?

17. No I'd just put it down to you being a ****

18. No they blame it on you being a poor white pleb

20. I have never seen a minority called a credit to their race

22. POC don't exist no such thing. You think all the arabs who call blacks Abeed are some happy slappy big family? Because maybe I live in England and not the rest of the world?

24. Unless you are a non-black person in America

26. You can

33. No, if you don't wash then you and you only will be blamed

35. You did get it because of your race. Thats what affirmative action is

39. No it will reflect on you for being a lazy get

44. Can anyone? Unless of course you live anywhere but the UK or the USA. Probably not hard finding African based courses in Africa

45. It does

46. I have pale skin. Most bandages are tan. Who gives a ****

49. Isn't that straight privilege?

ReputationRep:
    Minority privilege:

1. If I am threatened/harmed on racial grounds, I can be sure that people will be outraged

2. I am encouraged to take pride in my own culture

3. I can get a job with lesser qualifications as employers need to satisfy quotas

4. Any failure in life is of course down to perceptions of my race and not my own failings

5. A number of people feel that I cannot by definition be racist myself

6. The tragedies that happened to my people such as the slave trade are still accepted as reasons to be angry, while any of the Irish diaspora still angry at the potato famine would be laughed at

7. Any overrepresentation in negative stats such as crime is seen as a problem with society and a reflection of racism, while no-one is upset if I am over-represented in positive areas such as sports or music.

8. I can complain about whites and still keep my job, when complaints the other way round would result in instant dismissal.

9. If I lash out, people will always see it as a result of some other injustice

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by caravaggio2)
    What...you mean your own?
    Knew some dumbass would say this line :sigh: The fact that you thought it was witty enough to post doesn't reflect too well on you :lol:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Velasco)

This is a list that has been circulating the internet for a while, and has already been laid into for its stupidity.

Most of those are either trivial matters, things white people can and do experience, are racist expectations in themselves, are the result of racism paranoia, or are simply just plain dumb. I mean, not worrying that being late reflects on my race?

Some more examples:

"I can criticize our government and talk about how much I fear its policies and behaviour without being seen as a cultural outsider" -- What? Try speaking out against the Republican party in a red state; you'll be a cultural outsider regardless of your race. This can affect everyone.

"I can easily find academic courses and institutions which give attention only to people of my race" -- two words: affirmative action.

"I can turn on the television or open to the front page of the paper and see people of my race widely represented." Western nations are mostly white, and this isn't exactly a 'privilege' -- so what if the weather man isn't your race? (And I don't think this is true anyway; there are plenty of non-white models and celebrities throughout the media).

"I can be sure that if I need legal or medical help, my race will not work against me" -- everyone gets medical aid; this is not race-dependent, and being white will work against you when you're accused of racism.

This is the kind of garbage that comes straight out of tumblr.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Luminz)
    It doesn't have to occur on an individual level for it to be true. What a stupid post :facepalm2:
    If you're going to make the statement that there is inherent privilege in being white, it has to occur maybe not for every member of the group (there will be exceptions) but it should occur for the absolute vast majority.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 14, 2014
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.