Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by brigantes)
    you won't hear anything until your offer is unconditional
    Sorry I meant unconditional, that was a fail typo on my part xD Been unconditional since April.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ienzo)
    Sorry I meant unconditional, that was a fail typo on my part xD Been unconditional since April.
    in that case it should be in the next few weeks! best of luck getting your top choice

ReputationRep:
    I got an offer for Colum Hall today. What bothers me is that it's on the ground floor. Do you think that they can change it just a floor up if I call them?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vld19)
    I got an offer for Colum Hall today. What bothers me is that it's on the ground floor. Do you think that they can change it just a floor up if I call them?
    possibly, but it's unlikely unless you have a good reason. no harm in emailing to ask though!

ReputationRep:
    My reasons are that I do not consider the ground floor a safe place since it is very easy for burglars to break in through the window. Also, people will be able to see what I do all the time, unless there are some thick curtains. What's more is that I won't be able to leave my window open throughout the night if the weather's hot. Do you think those reasons are good lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vld19)
    My reasons are that I do not consider the ground floor a safe place since it is very easy for burglars to break in through the window. Also, people will be able to see what I do all the time, unless there are some thick curtains. What's more is that I won't be able to leave my window open throughout the night if the weather's hot. Do you think those reasons are good lol
    they have special windows on the ground floor so you'll be safe from burglary, plus iirc there are 24/7 security patrols. the windows on the ground floor open vertically instead of horizontally, if that makes sense? so no one will be able to climb in, and you can leave them open all night.

people will probably be able to see in your room though. idk they always have people in the ground floor rooms so it can't be that bad! i just know that they go from the top floor down when they're giving out rooms, so if you got a ground floor one it's because there wasn't anything else empty :/

ReputationRep:
    Also, is there any way to find out whether my room will be facing the road or the park behind Colum?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vld19)
    Also, is there any way to find out whether my room will be facing the road or the park behind Colum?
    now that i can tell you! email residences, find out which room you're in, then email colum hall directly and ask them which way it's facing. they don't have plans at the main office but the colum hall staff should know!

ReputationRep:
    now that i can tell you! email residences, find out which room you're in, then email colum hall directly and ask them which way it's facing. they don't have plans at the main office but the colum hall staff should know!
    Thanks, I will ring them directly. Ahh, and one more - are there security officers in the hall?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vld19)
    Thanks, I will ring them directly. Ahh, and one more - are there security officers in the hall?
    just be sure to have your student number on hand when you ring them, they will def ask for it!

i think the security officers tend to patrol around outside rather than actually coming in. but security has a 24hr phone line in case you need them!

ReputationRep:
    Just accepted Colum hall, anyone else living there? Going to be on the first floor!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by katieellen)
    Just accepted Colum hall, anyone else living there? Going to be on the first floor!
    Ground floor here, but I intend to call and ask for a floor up.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vld19)
    Ground floor here, but I intend to call and ask for a floor up.
    i mean you never know, but i really wouldn't get your hopes up. they don't move usually people up from the ground floor

ReputationRep:
    First floor House 1?

ReputationRep:
    My mission next term is to pull someone who lives in Talybont Gate so I can go insise and see what it looks like.

ReputationRep:
    Ok, this might be a stupid question (I'm foreign, so forgive me), but when you say "first floor" and "ground floor," do you mean the same thing, or is the first floor above the ground floor?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by M_Kirk)
    Ok, this might be a stupid question (I'm foreign, so forgive me), but when you say "first floor" and "ground floor," do you mean the same thing, or is the first floor above the ground floor?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    what you call the first floor in the states is the ground floor in the uk. that is, it goes:

uk | usa
    ground | first
    first | second
    second | third
    etc | etc

erm, forgive my horrible attempt at a table. i hope that makes sense!

ReputationRep:
    what you call the first floor in the states is the ground floor in the uk. that is, it goes:

uk | usa
    ground | first
    first | second
    second | third
    etc | etc

erm, forgive my horrible attempt at a table. i hope that makes sense!
    Perfectly! Thank you! I figured as much, but I wasn't sure.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by krisona)
    First floor House 1?
    I'm in flat 3!

ReputationRep:
    I'm in flat 3!
    Me too
    Room 6

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.