Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Yeah,

Shouldn't be long to prtc if they want usbthrough quickly! I'm looking forward to it just a but scared of people saying loads of people fail on fitness. Think I would be gutted if that happened. Just gonna work on form loads and do as many as i can in correct form. And practice makes perfect right?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by swalley)
    Hey Matt!

How was prtc and how long was it before you got your prtc dates? What was it like and what did you get up too? Can't wait now looking forward to it!
    PRTC was good overall but be VERY patient. I'm pretty sure there was a lot of waiting around on purpose just to test people's patience. You literally march everywhere you go and this week was sooooo hot everyone was sweating!

On the first day when you arrive you get a briefing, a badge to wear and most importantly your bedding .

Second day was up at 06:00 am and shower. Breakfast at ~6:45, then straight after breakfast you will go to the sports hall and do your bleep test, press up & sit ups ( a fair few people failed on the sit up/press ups so make sure your form is good). After that we then had to do our english & maths functional skill assessments which was pretty basic really.

i can give you a lot more info on what we did but i really dont feel like typing it all out if you don't really want the info :P so just let me know.

I got my dates the day after my PJFT so i was pretty lucky!! i was told 1/2 weeks before the PRTC date

Matt

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys, found this video on Basic at Halton, makes me a bit scared but also excited

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ypcUy2ElY1E

Anyone who's already been, is this how it really is?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by She_wolf)
    Hey guys, found this video on Basic at Halton, makes me a bit scared but also excited

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ypcUy2ElY1E

Anyone who's already been, is this how it really is?
    If you or anyone else on here is interested in video's what Basic training is like, i found these quite informative and cool!

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...8DD820B41AAA32 - Female

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...4FE915BF943C59 - Male

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mattl93)
    If you or anyone else on here is interested in video's what Basic training is like, i found these quite informative and cool!

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...8DD820B41AAA32 - Female

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...4FE915BF943C59 - Male
    Looks good, will watch, thanks!

ReputationRep:
    Seems daunting watching that now but also exciting! Currently waiting for my interview date after passing AST2 10 days ago, applied for supplier and heard that is a fairly quick process at the moment

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by swalley)
    Pint of cider! That would go down cracking one thinks!

Dunno how the uni thing works but I think we can apply for it as part of learning credits? And if it's not free it will be subsidised. But i know we can get a foundation degree from staffs uni. But i dont know when that's available. I'm sure we will be told it haven't opportunity to ask at some point.

It will be great for me cus i will be able get the train home in less than an hour which will be nice to go home more! That will be nice. Can't wait to get stuck in. I'm hoping the prtc dates aren't that far away as I'm raring t ok go now I know there is a prtc on the 5th of August- there's a thread on here somewhere. So I'm hoping on that one if not then a bit later I reckon.

It's all very exciting!
    Yeah someone will tell us something about it and lucky you! I live in newcastle so ill hardly ever be able to visit home gonna have to make some good friends then!

Yeah I cant wait im so excited to get started, Ive been going through the medical for 2 month!! I had to get an echo om my heart but 3 doctors have said its fine. I had asthma untill I was like 3 haha. But my doctors been on holiday twice and ive had to wait for that fart to come back two times for 2 weeks each time! but yeah im buzzing to go!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by karl10)
    Yeah someone will tell us something about it and lucky you! I live in newcastle so ill hardly ever be able to visit home gonna have to make some good friends then!

Yeah I cant wait im so excited to get started, Ive been going through the medical for 2 month!! I had to get an echo om my heart but 3 doctors have said its fine. I had asthma untill I was like 3 haha. But my doctors been on holiday twice and ive had to wait for that fart to come back two times for 2 weeks each time! but yeah im buzzing to go!!
    Pint

Have you done your fitness test yet? Hopefully I'll geta call with prtc dates soon. Halton seemshard but I'm keeping training up so hopefully it won't be to hard to pass the fitness test!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by karl10)
    What part of the selection process are you up to atm?
    Hey, I've passed my PJFT today (personal best, yay!) so next for me is PRTC which I hope to get dates to soon.

ReputationRep:
    Interesting reading all of your accounts, congrats to everyone who's made it through! Very exciting stuff! My whole application process has taken 18 months so far due to needing paper work from the disclosures office and failing my 1st aptitude test....I took it 2 weeks before the rules changed from 6 months to 6 weeks. Had my medical examination last Tuesday and am waiting on more paperwork from my GP....clarification is needed on the asthma I had when I was 5 years old which is a little bit annoying. Apparently it won't take more than a couple of weeks then it's my fitness next.

The whole process has been the most frustrating thing I've ever been through but I'm hoping the end is very near. Really looking forward to it, providing everything goes smoothly from now on lol.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zander90)
    Interesting reading all of your accounts, congrats to everyone who's made it through! Very exciting stuff! My whole application process has taken 18 months so far due to needing paper work from the disclosures office and failing my 1st aptitude test....I took it 2 weeks before the rules changed to from 6 months to 6 weeks. Had my medical examination last Tuesday and am waiting on more paperwork from my GP....clarification is needed on the asthma I had when I was 5 years old which is a little bit annoying. Apparently it won't take more than a couple of weeks then it's my fitness next.

The whole thing has been the most frustrating thing I've ever been through but I'm hoping the end is very near. Really looking forward to it, providing everything goes smoothly from now on lol.
    I know your pain...
    Wow, and here I thought mine was long at 9+ months! Good luck, but take care, you'll have to chase you GP, as second medical can take months! Capita is slow, but GPs are notorious for taking ages.
    What is your trade?

ReputationRep:
    I've already rung my surgery to get a rough time as to when it should be done by. A doctor is off on holiday so they're a little bit back logged. Great timing. But I'll be ringing them again in a couple of weeks time if I haven't heard anything for an update as to where they are with it. I know very well how bad they are with paperwork, it probably wouldn't take 20 minutes to do either.

I'm going in as a driver

ReputationRep:
    It's not nice when your progress is in someone else's hands. Especially when there's no way of hurrying them up. Ah well, it'll end eventually.

Sure thing, hoping it'll be soon!

ReputationRep:
    Interesting reading all of your accounts, congrats to everyone who's made it through! Very exciting stuff! My whole application process has taken 18 months so far due to needing paper work from the disclosures office and failing my 1st aptitude test....I took it 2 weeks before the rules changed from 6 months to 6 weeks. Had my medical examination last Tuesday and am waiting on more paperwork from my GP....clarification is needed on the asthma I had when I was 5 years old which is a little bit annoying. Apparently it won't take more than a couple of weeks then it's my fitness next.

The whole process has been the most frustrating thing I've ever been through but I'm hoping the end is very near. Really looking forward to it, providing everything goes smoothly from now on lol.
    Sorry to hear it's not gone as quick as you would have liked! Mine has taken 6 months to get from applying to having passed the PJFT and now waiting for PRTC on the 2nd of September.

Best of luck with the medical stuff and paperwork, I've heard countless stories of people having a rough time when it comes to the medical and needing extra clarification on irrelevant matters.

Really hope it goes well for you from here on out though!

ReputationRep:
    Yay! Here's hoping it'll be within the week. Very happy for you.

(Original post by ryan9900)
    Sorry to hear it's not gone as quick as you would have liked! Mine has taken 6 months to get from applying to having passed the PJFT and now waiting for PRTC on the 2nd of September.

Best of luck with the medical stuff and paperwork, I've heard countless stories of people having a rough time when it comes to the medical and needing extra clarification on irrelevant matters.

Really hope it goes well for you from here on out though!
    Cheers dude It's character building I guess :P Nice to know that there are others in the same boat that I'm in though. It'll be forgotten about once I'm in, I'm sure lol. Well done on getting through it! Hope it goes well for you

ReputationRep:
    Yay! Here's hoping it'll be within the week. Very happy for you.

Cheers dude It's character building I guess :P Nice to know that there are others in the same boat that I'm in though. It'll be forgotten about once I'm in, I'm sure lol. Well done on getting through it! Hope it goes well for you
    A large part of it is just a test of patience. It's not just to see if you're good enough in all aspects, but to see if you've got the determination to stick with it and keep going even when you have to wait around for months on end. It's a pain, but it'll be worth it in the end

ReputationRep:
    You'll be fine by then, don't worry.

Yeah I've seen the marines programme. A bit disappointed really, it just seems to focus heavily on the actual people rather than the training. Parts of it are good, but last nights show just seemed to be the life story of Callum Bond. It was pretty annoying, but I'll probably still watch it just to see if it gets any better.

ReputationRep:
    I've actually had a couple of emails off someone from the Marketing Department of the RAF Careers team in response to a blog I created detailing my experiences of the selection process so far. My blog now gets used on the RAF Careers page when the team reply to people who have posted on there asking about the AST/interview/medical/fitness. While I won't be doing a video diary on the RAF youtube channel, I may be doing a little twitter diary with little videos and pictures as that's something that RAF Careers have said they would be interested in me doing. But I'll be filming my own little videos probably, and doing my own video diary type thing and uploading them on my personal channel when I'm finished. Either way, I found the videos on youtube really useful, so hope to do something similar throughout my training towards the end of this year.

Just ease yourself back into training if you're not feeling too good. The last thing you want to do is push yourself too much and end up feeling worse.

ReputationRep:
    I watched it as well and thought the same thing....it was interesting to see the mixture of personalities and backgrounds of the guys who go for the Royal Marines. I never expected to see someone like Callum Bond in the Commandos. Can't really knock him for trying though, I know a lot of guys are going to be like "if he can do it then I can!" Just hope his mentality transforms into something more mature. I'd love to have the physical and mental capability to go through the Marines training. It's something I'd probably go for if I was a bloke lol.

They might not be able show much of the training due to MOD restrictions. Or however you say it. Some of it is probably classified. Plus it is 32 weeks so it's hard to put it into an hour length programme. Interesting though, I enjoyed it. Actually found last weeks pretty funny.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ryan9900)
    Exactly my thoughts.

I've actually had a couple of emails off someone from the Marketing Department of the RAF Careers team in response to a blog I created detailing my experiences of the selection process so far. My blog now gets used on the RAF Careers page when the team reply to people who have posted on there asking about the AST/interview/medical/fitness. While I won't be doing a video diary on the RAF youtube channel, I may be doing a little twitter diary with little videos and pictures as that's something that RAF Careers have said they would be interested in me doing. But I'll be filming my own little videos probably, and doing my own video diary type thing and uploading them on my personal channel when I'm finished. Either way, I found the videos on youtube really useful, so hope to do something similar throughout my training towards the end of this year.

Just ease yourself back into training if you're not feeling too good. The last thing you want to do is push yourself too much and end up feeling worse.
    Where can one find your blog?

Poll
Who is your favourite TV detective?
Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to the armed forcesGuide to the Royal Air ForceA job in the Army

Featured recruiter profiles:

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Quick Link:

Unanswered Armed Forces Threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.